Corrosion inhibitory effect of ethylamine on zinc in HCl solution
- 1Chemistry Department, Navyug Science College, Surat, India
- 2Chemistry Department, Navyug Science College, Surat, India
- 3Department of Chemistry, Naranlala College of Professional and Applied Sciences, Navsari, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 8, Issue (4), Pages 40-46, October,2 (2019)
Corrosion inhibitory action of ethylamine on zinc in HCl acid solution was studied by mass loss, temperature effect and polarization methods. With increase in acid concentrations corrosion rate increases while inhibition efficiency (I.E.) of inhibitor decreases. With increase in temperature corrosion rate increases while I.E. decreases. Inhibition efficiency of ethylamine increases with increase in inhibitor concentrations. Maximum I.E. was found 98.35 % at 20 mM ethylamine in 0.01M HCl. The inhibition effect is discussed in view of ethylamine molecules adsorbed on the metal surface. Polarization study shows that ethylamine behaves as cathodic type inhibitor.
- Hackerman N. and Sudbury J.D. (1950)., The effect of amines on the electrode potential of mild steel in tap water and acid solutions., Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 97(4), 109-116.
- Akpan I.A. and Offiong N.O. (2012)., Effect of ethanolamine and ethylamine on the entropy content of the corrosion of mild steel in tetraoxosulphate (VI) acid solution., Chemistry and Materials Research, 2(7), 40-47.
- Fouda A.S., El-Desoky A.M., Diab M.A. and Soliman A.H. (2014)., Corrosion protection of carbon steel in hydrochloric acid solutions using heterocyclic compounds., Int J Adv Res, 2(3), 606-628.
- Abiola O.K. and James A.O. (2010)., The effects of Aloe vera extract on corrosion and kinetics of corrosion process of zinc in HCl solution., Corrosion Science, 52(2), 661-664.
- Fouda A.S., Rashwan S.M., Darwish M.M.K. and Armana N.M. (2018)., Corrosion Inhibition of Zn in a 0.5 M HCl Solution by Ailanthus Altissima Extract., Portugaliae Electrochem. Acta,, 36(5), 309-323.
- Vashi R.T., Desai S.A. and Desai Krunal (2019)., Diethanolamine as corrosion inhibitor for zinc in hydrochloric acid., Int. J. Res. and Analytical Reviews, 6(1), 490-500.
- Vashi R.T. and Desai K. (2012)., Hexamine as corrosion inhibitor for zinc in hydrochloric acid., Der Pharma Chemica, 4(5), 2117-2123.
- Fouda A.S., Abdallah M., Atwa S.T. and Salem M.M. (2010)., Tetrahydrocarbazole derivatives as corrosion inhibitors for zinc in HCl solution., Modern Applied Science, 4(12), 41-55.
- Khulood AL-Saadie, Nadia Abdul Karime and Israa M Al-Mousawi (2007)., Corrosion inhibition of zinc in hydrochloric acid medium using urea inhibitor., J. of Al-Nahrain University, 10(2), 31-38.
- James A.O. and Akaranta O. (2011)., Inhibition of corrosion of zinc in hydrochloric acid solution by Red Onion skin acetone extract., Res. J. Chem. Sci., 1(1), 31-37.
- Al-Saadie K. (2008)., Corrosion inhibition of zinc in hydrochloric acid medium by thiourea and guanidine., Iraqi J. of Sci., 49(1), 29-34.
- Saleh Khulood A. and Khalil S. Khalil (2014)., Corrosion inhibition of zinc in hydrochloric acid solution using Ampicillin., Iraqui J. of Sci., 55(2A), 295-303.
- Gad Allah A.G., Hefny M.M., Salih S.A. and El-Basiouny M.S. (1989)., Corrosion inhibition of zinc in HCl solution by some pyrazole derivatives., Corrosion, 45(7), 574-578.
- Bruker G.R. and Phipps P.B. (1979)., Aliphatic amines as corrosion inhibitors for zinc in hydrochloric acid., Corros. Chem., 293.
- Vashi R.T. and Bhajiwala H.M. (2002)., Ethylamine as corrosion inhibitors for zinc in [HNO3 + HCl] binary mixtrure., Bull. Electrochem., 18(6), 261-266.
- Vashi R.T. and Naik D. (2006)., Ethylamines as corrosion inhibitor for zinc in phosphoric acid., Trans. SAEST., 41, 68-73.
- Zele S.A. and Vashi R.T. (2016)., Inhibition of corrosion of zinc in sulphuric acid by ethylamines., Int. J. of Chem. Studies, 4(5), 31-38.
- Desai S.A., Vashi R.T. and Champaneri V.A. (2018)., Diethylamine as corrosion inhibitor for zinc in sulfamic acid., Ayudh, 37, 51.
- Onuchukwu A.I., Akpan I.A. and Offiong N.O. (2013)., Effects of ethanolamine and ethylamine on the entropy content of the corrosion of galvanised steel in 1mol/l NaCl solution., Material Science, An Indian J.,, 9(3), 83-90.
- Akpan I.A. and Offiong N.O. (2013)., Effects of ethanolamine and ethylamine on the entropy content of the corrosion of aluminium in 1 mol/l HCl solution., Physical Chem., An Indian J., 8(3), 87-92.
- Akpan I.A. and Offiong N.O. (2013)., Effects of ethanolamine and ethylamine on the entropy content of the corrosion of mild steel in 1 mol/L solution., Physical Chem., An Indian J., 8(3), 112-117.
- Vashi R.T., Bhajiwala H.M. and Desai S.A. (2009)., Prevention of zinc metal in (HNO3 + H2SO4) binary acid mixture by ethylamines., Oriental J. Chem., 25(3), 555-560.
- Vashi R.T., Desai S.A. and Desai P.S. (2008)., Ethylamines as corrosion inhibitors for zinc in nitric acid., Asian J. Chem., 20(6), 4553-4560.
- Keles H. and Akca S. (2019)., The effect of Variamine blue B on brass corrosion in NaCl solutions., Arabian J. of Chem., 12, 236-248.
- Thomson R.H. (1971)., Naturally Occurring Quinones., third ed., Academic Press, London, New York, 74.
- Martinez J.S. and Matikos-Hukovic M. (2003)., A nonlinear kinetic model introduced for the corrosion inhibitive properties of some organic inhibitors., J. Appl. Electrochem., 33, 1137-1142.
- Khaled K.F. (2003)., The inhibition of benzimidazole derivatives on corrosion of iron in 1 M HCl solutions., Electrochimica Acta, 48(17), 2493-2503.
- Mu G., Li X. and Liu G. (2005)., Synergistic inhibition between tween 60 and NaCl on the corrosion of cold rolled steel in 0.5 M sulfuric acid., Corrosion Science, 47(8), 1932-1952.
- Donahue F.M. and Nobe K. (1965)., Theory of organic corrosion inhibitors and linear free energy relationship., J. Electrochem. Soc., 112, 886-891.
- Ibrahim T., Alayan H. and Al Mowaqet Y. (2012)., The effect of Thyme leaves extract on corrosion of mild steel in HCl., Progress in Organic Coatings, 75(4), 456-462.
- Prasanna B.M., Praveen B.M., Hebbar N. and Venkatesha T.V. (2015)., Anticorrosion potential of hydralazine for corrosion of mild steel in 1m hydrochloric acid solution., Journal of Fundamental and Applied Sciences, 7(2), 222-243.
- Issa R.M., El-Sonbati A.Z., El-Bindary A.A. and Kera H.M. (2002)., Polymer complexes XXXIV. Potentiometric and thermodynamic studies of monomeric and polymeric complexes containing 2-acrylamidosulphadiazine., Eur. Polym. J., 38(3), 561-566.
- Ebenso E.E. (2003)., Effect of halide ions on the corrosion inhibition of mild steel in H2SO4 using methyl red, Part-I., Bull. Electrochem., 19(5), 209-216.
- Ebenso E.E. (2004)., Effect of methyl red and halide ions on the corrosion of aluminum in H2SO4 center dot Part 2., Bulletin of Electrochemistry, 20(12), 551-559.
- Talati J.D. and Modi R.M. (1986)., Inhibition of corrosion of aluminium-copper alloy in NaOH., Trans. SAEST, 11, 259.
- Li W., Zhao X., Liu F. and Hou B. (2008)., Investigation on inhibition behavior of S-triazole-triazole derivatives in acidic solution., Corrosion Science, 50(11), 3261-3266.