Distribution and assessment of pesticide residue contamination level in fish from Indian rivers and their residual impact on environment: A review
- 1Institute of Applied Sciences, Department of Forensic Science, Parul University, Waghodia, Vadodara, Gujarat, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 8, Issue (3), Pages 36-41, July,2 (2019)
Pesticides are major problem of environmental pollution in the river, lake, ponds, and many estuary ecosystems. Pesticides are used worldwide for the purpose of agricultural consumption and control the pest and insect. Previous widespread use of pesticides in the past and constrained current practice resulted in the river pollution. Most of the Indian rivers pass over a large number of villages, cities, agricultural fields and some of the industrial areas. Therefore, a large portion of wastes and sewages produced from these different areas goes into the rivers. The rivers search out totally contaminated due to release of hazardous substances, dyes, fertilizer and other toxic materials. Most of the hazardous chemicals do not mortify; therefore contaminant stabilizes in the aquatic system. Almost all of the pollutants detected in river fish were mostly banned pesticides, which should be dealt legally.
- Rajendran R.B. and Subramanian A.N. (1999)., Chlorinated pesticide residues in surface sediments from the River Kaveri, South India., Journal of Environmental Science & Health Part B, 34(2), 269-288.
- Youssef L., Ghassan Y., Kouzayha A. and Jaber F. (2015)., Occurrence and levels of pesticides in South Lebanon water., Chemical Speciation and Bioavailability, 27(2), 62-70.
- Upadhi F. and Wokoma O.A.F. (2012)., Examination of some pesticide residues in surface water, sediment and fish tissue of Elechi Creek, Niger Delta, Nigeria., Research Journal of Environmental and Earth Sciences, 4(11), 939-944.
- Donia M.A., Abou-Arab A.A.K., Enb A., El-Senaity M.H. and Abd-Rabou N.S. (2010)., Chemical composition of raw milk and the accumulation of pesticide residues in milk products., Global veterinaria, 4(1), 6-14.
- Wilson D.N., Rao N.I. and Reddy N.K. (2013)., Concentration of Organo Chlorine pesticide residues in sediments from the Godavari River of East Godavari District of Andhra Pradesh., J Chem Bio Phy Sci, 3, 2279-2292.
- Kapsi M.G., Tsoutsi C.S. and Albanis T.A. (2015)., Risk Assessment Of Pesticides, In Surface Water Of Louros River (N.W Grecee) After Off-Line Solid Phase Extraction Coupled GC-MS And LC-MS., Proceedings Of The 14th International Conference On Environmental Science and Technology Rhodes, Greece, 3-5.
- Mahboob S., Niazi F., AlGhanim K., Sultana S., Al-Misned F. and Ahmed Z. (2015)., Health risks associated with pesticide residues in water, sediments and the muscle tissues of Catlacatla at Head Balloki on the River Ravi., Environ Monit Assess, 187, 81.
- Montuori P., Cirillo T., Fasano E., Nardone A., Esposito F. and Triassi M. (2014)., Spatial distribution and partitioning of polychlorinated biphenyl and organochlorine pesticide in water and sediment from Sarno River and Estuary, Southern Italy., Environ Sci Pollut Res, 21, 5023-5035.
- Somashekara K.M., Mahima M.R. and Manjunath K.C. (2015)., Contamination of Water Sources in Mysore City by Pesticide Residues and Plasticizer - A Cause of Health Concern., Aquatic Procedia, 4, 1181-1188.
- Abhilash P.C. and Singh N. (2009)., Pesticides use and application: An Indian scenario., J Hazard Mater, 165, 1-12.
- Kumari S. and Sharma H. (2014). The Impact of Pesticides on Farmer's Health: A Case Study of Fruit Bowl of Himachal Pradesh. International Journal of Science and Research 3(11), 144-148., undefined, undefined
- Sharma H.R., Kaushik A. and Kaushik C.P. (2013)., Organochlorine pesticide residues in fodder from rural areas of Haryana, India., Toxicological & Environmental Chemistry, 95, 69-81.
- Yadav I.C., Devi N.L., Syed J.H., Cheng Z., Li J., Zhang G. and Jones K.C. (2015)., Current status of persistent organic pesticides residues in air, water, and soil, and their possible effect on neighboring countries: A comprehensive review of India., Science of the Total Environment, 511, 123-137.
- Agrawal A., Pandey R.S. and Sharma B. (2010)., Water Pollution with Special Reference to Pesticide Contamination in India., Journal Water Resource and Protection, 2, 432-448.
- Akinsanya B., Alani R., Ukwa U.D., Bamidele F. and Saliu J.K. (2015)., Bioaccumulation and distribution of organochlorine residues across the food web in Lagos Lagoon, Nigeria., African Journal of Aquatic Science, 40(4), 403-408.
- Wang Y., Wu W.J., He W., Qin N., He Q.S. and Xu F.L. (2013)., Residues and ecological risks of organochlorine pesticides in Lake Small Baiyangdian, North China., Environmental monitoring and assessment, 185(1), 917-929.
- Akan J.C., Sodipo O.A., Mohammed Z. and Abdulrahman F.I. (2014)., Determination of Organochlorine, Organophosphorus and Pyrethroid Pesticide Residues in Water and Sediment Samples by High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) with UV/visible Detector., Jour Anal Bioanal Tech, 5(6), 1-5.
- Shinggu D.Y., Maitera O.N. and Barminas J.T. (2015)., Determinatiion of Organochlorine Pesticides Residue in Fish, Water and Sediment in Lake Geriyo Adamawa State Nigeria., International Research Journal of Pure & Applied Chemistry, 8(4), 212-220.
- Sharma A.P., Das M.K. and Samanta S. (2014)., Health of Inland Aquatic Resources and its Impact on Fisheries., Director Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute, Barrack pore, Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Gupta A. (2008)., Impact of Pesticides on Human and Ecosystem Health: Scientific, Ethical and Policy Issues., In: Proceedings of National Seminar on Toxicity of Chemicals and their Hazards with Special Reference to Heavy Metals, 61-72.
- Gary M.R., John F.C., Piero R.G. and Joffre C. (2010)., Endosulfan and its metabolite, endosulfan sulfate, in freshwater ecosystems of South Florida: a probabilistic aquatic ecological risk assessment., Ecotoxicology, 19, 879-900.
- Saravana P.B and Geraldine P. (1997)., Alterations in Concentrations of Protein, Carbohydrate, Glycogen, Free Sugar, and Lipid in the Prawn Macrobrachium malcolmsonii on Exposure to Sublethal Concentrations of Endosulfan., Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, 58(2), 89-101.
- Sinha A.K., Vishwanathan P.N. and Bhoojh R. (1989)., Water Pollution Conservation and management., B.L consul for Gyanodaya Parkashan, India.
- Ibigbami A., Aiyesanmi A.F., Adeyeye E.I., Adebayo A.O. and Aladesanwa R.D. (2015)., Distribution, Bioconcentration and Potential Health Risks Associated with Organochlorine Pesticides Contamination of Chrysichthysnigrodigitatus and Oreochromisniloticus from Ero River in Nigeria Olayinka., JCBPS, 6, 4741-4751.
- Talab A.R.S. and Ghannam H.E. (2015)., Organochlorine pesticide residues in raw and cooked fish fillets., Journal of Biodiversity and Environmental Sciences, 7(3), 292-303.
- Okay S.O.S., Karacık B., Henkelmann B. and Schramm K.W. (2011)., Distribution of organochlorine pesticides in sediments and mussels from the Istanbul., Environ Monit Assess, 176, 51-65.
- Zelnickova L., Svobodova Z., Marsalek P. and Dobsikova R. (2015)., Persistent organic pollutants in muscle of fish collectedfrom the NovéMlýny reservoir in Southern Moravia, Czech Republic., Environ Monit Assess, 187, 448, 1-7.
- Cai S., Sun K., Dong S.Y., Wang Y.M., Wang S. and Jia L. (2014)., Assessment of Organochlorine Pesticide Residues in Water, Sediment, and Fish of the Songhua River, China., Environmental Forensics, 15(4), 352-357.
- Akan J.C., Mohammed Z., Jafiya L. and Audu S.I. (2013)., Organophosphorus Pesticide Residues in Different Tissues of Fish Samples from Alau Dam, Borno State, Nigeria., World Journal of Fish and Marine Sciences, 5(5), 519-526.
- Ccanccapa A., Masia A., Navarro-Ortega A., Pico Y. and Barcelo D. (2016)., Pesticides in the Ebro River basin: Occurrence and risk assessment., Environmental Pollution, 211, 414-424.
- Masia A., Campo J., Vázquez-Roig P., Blasco C. and Pico Y. (2013)., Screening of currently used pesticides in water, sediments and biota of the Guadalquivir River Basin (Spain)., Journal of Hazardous Materials, 263, 95-104.
- Ezemonye L.I.N., Ikpesu T.O. and Ilechie I. (2008)., Distribution of Diazinon in Water, Sediment and Fish from Warri River, Niger Delta Nigeria., Jordan Journal of Biological Sciences, 1, 77-83.
- Jabeen F., Chaudhry A.S., Manzoor S. and Shaheen T. (2015)., Examining pyrethroids, carbamates and neonicotenoids in fish, water and sediments from the Indus River for potential health risks., Environ Monit Assess, 187, 1-11.
- Belenguer V., Martinez-Capel F., Masia A. and Pico Y. (2014)., Patterns of presence and concentration of pesticides in fish andwaters of the Júcar River (Eastern Spain)., Journal of Hazardous Materials, 265, 271-279.
- Essumang D.K., Togoh G.K. and Chokky L. (2009)., Pesticide residues in the water and fish (Lagoon Tilapia) samples from Lagoons in Ghana., Bull Chem Soc Ethiop, 23, 19-27.
- Oliveira F.A., Reis L.P.G., Soto-Blanco B. and Melo M.M. (2015)., Pesticides residues in the Prochilodus costatus (Valenciennes, 1850) fish caught in the Sao Francisco River, Brazil., Journal of Environmental Science and Health Part B, 50(6), 398-405.
- Enbaia S., Elsaweth N., Abujnah Y., Greiby I., Hakam A., Alzanad A., Benzitoun A., Omar A.A. and Amra H.A. (2015)., Occurrence of Organophosphorous Pesticide Residues in some Fish Species Collected from Local Market in Tripoli, Libya., Int J Curr Microbiol App Sci, 4, 925-937.
- Tanveer A.S.H. and Shobhana K.M. (2015)., Bioaccumulation and Ecological risks of Organochlorine Pesticides in Water Sediments and Fish from Mahi River, Vadodara, Gujarat, India., Research Journal of Recent Sciences, 4, 171-176.
- Mamta R.J. and Wani K.A. (2015)., Concentration of Organochlorine and OrganophosphorusPesticides in Different Molluscs from Tighra Reservoir, Gwalior, India., Bull Environ ContamToxicol, 95(3), 332-339.
- Dhananjayan V. and Muralidharan S. (2010)., Organochlorine Pesticide Residues in Inland Wetland Fishes of Karnataka, India and Their Implications on Human Dietary Intake., Bull Environ ContamToxicol, 85(6), 619-623.
- Sundar G., Selvarani J., Gopalakrishnan S. and Ramachandran S. (2010)., Occurrence of organochlorine pesticide residues in green mussel (PernaviridisL.) and water from Ennore creek, Chennai, India., EnvironMonit Assess, 160, 593-604.
- Aktar M.W., Paramasivam M., Sengupta D., Purkait S., Ganguly M. and Banerjee S. (2009)., Impact assessment of pesticide residues in fish of Ganga river around Kolkata in West Bengal., Environ Monit Assess, 157, 97-104.
- Kaur M., Sharma J.K., Gill J.P., Aulakh R.S., Bedi J.S. and Joia B.S. (2008)., Determination of organochlorine pesticide residues in freshwater fish species in Punjab, India., Bulletin of environmental contamination and toxicology, 80(2), 154-157.
- Malik A., Singh K.P. and Ojha P. (2007)., Residues of Organochlorine Pesticides in Fish from the Gomti River, India., Bull Environ Contam Toxicol, 78(5), 335-340.
- Kumar S.K., Kannan K., Sinha R.K., Tanabe S. and Giesy J.P. (1999)., Bioaccumulation profiles of polychlorinated biphenyl congeners and organochlorine pesticides in Ganges River dolphins., Environ Toxicol Chem, 18, 1511-1520.
- Begum A., Krishna H.S. and Khan I. (2009)., A Survey of persistant organochlorine pesticides residues in some Streams of the Cauvery River, Karnataka, India., International Journal of Chem Tech Research, 1(2), 237-244.
- Singh P.B. and Singh V. (2008)., Bioaccumulation of hexachlorocyclohexane, dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane, and estradiol-17β in catfish and carp during the pre-monsoon season in India., Fish physiology and biochemistry, 34(1), 25-36.
- Zargar N.Z. and Singh J.P.G. (2018)., Studies on Levels of Pesticides Residues in Market Fish of Punjab (India)., Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci., 7(8), 2899-2905.