Effects of Ag nanoparticles on the growth and spawning reproductive phases of the female Indian minor carp Labeo bata
- 1Department of Zoology, Ramananda College, Bishnupur, Bankura, West Bengal, India
- 2Department of Zoology, Vidyasagar University, West Bengal, India
- 3Department of Zoology, Vidyasagar University, West Bengal, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 8, Issue (3), Pages 12-18, July,2 (2019)
The Ag nanoparticles synthesized in its cleanest form using fish bile has been administered in definite concentration upon Labeo bata exposed for different time periods. The fish exposed for greater time periods have been found to show marked changes in their liver histology as well as in the architecture of the ovarian tissue with reference to the different seasonal reproductive phases. Under controlled condition during the maturation phase of ovary the oocyte undergoing vitellogenesis have been found to increase in number as well as size leading to the production of yolk laden matured oocytes. On the contrary fish exposed for 3 to 4 weeks have been observed to show prolonged and most often incomplete vitellogenesis leading to the formation of a large number of late yolk vesicular stage oocytes ending up with the fate of atretic follicle formation.
- Jovanović B., Anastasova L., Rowe E.W., Zhang Y., Clapp A.R. and Palić D. (2011)., Effects of nanosized titanium dioxide on innate immune system of fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas Rafinesque, 1820)., Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 74(4), 675-683. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2010.10.017
- Nowack B., Ranville J.F., Diamond S., Gallego‐Urrea J.A., Metcalfe C., Rose J., Horne N., Koelmans A.A. and Klaine S.J. (2012)., Potential scenarios for nanomaterial release and subsequent alteration in the environment., Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 31(1), 50-59. https://doi.org/10.1002/etc.726
- Benn T.M. and Westerhoff P. (2008)., Nanoparticle silver released into water from commercially available sock fabrics., Environmental Science and Technology, 42(11), 4133-4139. https://doi.org/10.1021/es7032718
- Taju G., Majeed S.A., Nambi K.S.N. and Hameed A.S. (2014)., In vitro assay for the toxicity of silver nanoparticles using heart and gill cell lines of Catla catla and gill cell line of Labeo rohita., Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part C: Toxicology & Pharmacology, 161, 41-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.cbpc.2014.01.007
- Moore M.N. (2006)., Do nanoparticles present ecotoxicological risks for the health of the aquatic environment?., Environment International, 32(8), 967-976. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2006.06.014
- Luoma Samuel N. and Rainbow Philip S. (2008)., Metal Contamination in Aquatic Environments Science and Lateral Management., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. ISBN: 9780521860574
- Griffitt R.J., Luo J., Gao J., Bonzongo J.C. and Barber D.S. (2008)., Effects of particle composition and species on toxicity of metallic nanomaterials in aquatic organisms., Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 27(9), 1972-1978. https://doi.org/10.1897/08-002.1
- Kennedy A.J., Hull M.S., Bednar A.J., Goss J.D., Gunter J.C., Bouldin J.L., Vikesland P.J. and Steevens J.A. (2010)., Fractionating nanosilver: importance for determining toxicity to aquatic test organisms., Environmental Science and Technology, 44(24), 9571-9577. https://doi.org/10.1021 es1025382
- Navarro E., Piccapietra F., Wagner B., Marconi F., Kaegi R., Odzak N., Sigg L. and Behra R. (2008)., Toxicity of silver nanoparticles to Chlamydomonas reinhardtii., Environmental Science and Technology, 42(23), 8959-8964. https://doi.org/10.1021/ es801785m
- Yang X., Gondikas A.P., Marinakos S.M., Auffan M., Liu J., Hsu-Kim H. and Meyer J.N. (2011)., Mechanism of silver nanoparticle toxicity is dependent on dissolved silver and surface coating in Caenorhabditis elegans., Environmental Science and Technology, 46(2), 1119-1127. https://doi.org/10.1021/es202417t
- Zhang W., Xiao B. and Fang T. (2018)., Chemical transformation of silver nanoparticles in aquatic environments: Mechanism, morphology and toxicity., Chemosphere, 191, 324-334. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.chemosphere. 2017.10.016
- Hedayati A., Kolangi H., Jahanbakhshi A. and Shaluei F. (2012)., Evaluation of silver nanoparticles ecotoxicity in silver carp (Hypophthalmicthys molitrix) and goldfish (Carassius auratus)., Bulgarian Journal of Veterinary Medicine, 15(3), 172.
- Hedayati A., Shaluei F. and Jahanbakhshi A. (2012)., Comparison of toxicity responses by water exposure to silver nanoparticles and silver salt in common carp (Cyprinus carpio)., Global Veterinaria, 8(2), 179-184. http://www.idosi.org/gv/GV8(2)12/14.pdf
- Scown T.M., Santos E.M., Johnston B.D., Gaiser B., Baalousha M., Mitov S., Lead J.R., Stone V., Fernandes T.F., Jepson M. and van Aerle R. (2010)., Effects of aqueous exposure to silver nanoparticles of different sizes in rainbow trout., Toxicological Sciences, 115(2), 521-534. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/kfq076
- Mal S., Bar H. and Chatterjee N. (2018)., Effect of Ag nanoparticles on the hepatic and renal histomorphology of the Indian minor carp Labeo bata., International Journal of Basic and Applied Research, 8(12), 508-518.
- Avwioro O.G. (2010)., Histochemistry and tissue pathology, principles and techniques., Claverianum press, Nigeria.
- Mallory F.B. (1936)., The aniline blue collagen stain., Stain Technology, 11(3), 101-102.
- Mishra A.K. and Mohanty B. (2008)., Histopathological effects of hexavalent chromium in the ovary of a fresh water fish, Channa punctatus (Bloch)., Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 80(6), 507-511. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00128-008-9406-9
- Chatterjee N. and Bhattacharjee B. (2016)., ZnS nanoparticles affect hazardously the process of oogenesis in the dwarf Asian striped catfish Mystus vittatus (Bloch, 1794)., Advanced Science Letters, 22(1), 126-131. https://doi.org/10.1166/asl.2016.6789
- Dutta H.M. and Dalal R. (2008)., The Effect of Endosulfan on the Ovary of Bluegill Sunfish: A Histopathological Study (Lepomis macrochirus)., International Journal of Environmental Research, 2(3), 215-224.
- Wang J., Zhu X., Zhang X., Zhao Z., Liu H., George R., Wilson-Rawls J., Chang Y. and Chen Y. (2011)., Disruption of zebrafish (Danio rerio) reproduction upon chronic exposure to TiO2 nanoparticles., Chemosphere, 83(4), 461-467. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.chemosphere.2010.12.069
- Saksena D.N. and Agarwal A. (1991)., Effect of mercuric-chloride on certain biochemical-constituents of the ovary of Indian fresh-water Catfish, Clarias batrachus (Linn)., Journal of Advanced Zoology, 12(1), 13-18.
- Harris C.A., Santos E.M., Janbakhsh A., Pottinger T.G., Tyler C.R. and Sumpter J.P. (2001)., Nonylphenol affects gonadotropin levels in the pituitary gland and plasma of female rainbow trout., Environmental Science and Technology, 35(14), 2909-2916. https://doi.org/2909-2916. 10.1021/es0002619.