Evaluation of power MOSFET IRF150 using OrCAD capture
- 1Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, College of Science and Technology, Phuentsholing, Bhutan
- 2Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, College of Science and Technology, Phuentsholing, Bhutan
- 3Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, College of Science and Technology, Phuentsholing, Bhutan
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 7, Issue (8), Pages 11-19, August,2 (2018)
Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor (MOSFET) is a type of Field Effect Transistor, which acts as a voltage-controlled current device. It operates by controlling the width of the channel that lies between drain and source terminal. Depending upon the width of the channel along which the charge flows the operating region of the transistor is defined. These operating regions are cut region, triode region and saturation region. This paper presents the analysis and evaluation of IRF150 n-channel E-MOSFET in OrCAD Capture. The analysis includes the characteristics curve, voltage transfer function and power consumption of MOSFET. The evaluations of the small signal characteristics, analog and digital frequency response and maximum frequency of the MOSFET are also presented. Through the evaluation, the minimum threshold voltage required to turn on the transistor IRF150 is found to be 3V. The MOSFET exhibits switching logic threshold voltage of 2.872V. The resulting low noise margin and high noise margin are approximately +11.928% and -16.316% respectively. The power consumed with low input voltage is 126.020 nW and24.992mW for high input voltage. With the corner frequency of 55.857 KHz and slope of 18.975 dB/Decade the evaluated MOSFET circuit behaves like a low pass filter.
- Balogh L. (2017)., Fundamentals of MOSFET and IGBT Gate Driver Circuits., Texas Instruments-Application report, SLUA618-March.
- Jacob Millman and Arvin Grabel (2008)., Microelectronics, India., 133-167. ISBN-13:978-0-07-463736-4. ISBN-10: 0-07-463736-3.
- John Papiewski (2018)., Difference Between P Channel and N Channel on MOSFET., Electronics. https:// ourpastimes.com /difference-between-p-channel-n-channel-mosfet-12175986.html, 23rd January 2018
- Alpha and Omega (2018)., Power MOSFET Basics., Semiconductor, www.aosmd.com/res/application_notes/mosfets/Power_MOSFET_Basics.pdf, 23rd January 2018
- Datasheet catalogue (2018)., IRF150, Fairchild Semiconductor., http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/I/R/F/1/IRF150.shtml, 23rd January 2018
- OrCAD (2014)., Capture Lite CIS., (Version 16.5) [Software] OrCAD Cadence PCB solutions. Available from:http://www.orcad.com/. 2014.
- Grant D.A. and Gowar J. (1989)., Power MOSFETs: theory and applications., New York etc.: Wiley, 55-65.
- Pal A. (2015)., MOS Inverters., In Low-Power VLSI Circuits and Systems, Springer, New Delhi, 67-102. 10.1007/978-81-322-1937-8_4
- Zabeli M., Caka N., Limani M. and Kabashi Q. (2017)., Role of MOSFETs Transconductance Parameters and Threshold Voltage in CMOS Inverter Behavior in DC Mode., Preprints, 2017070084 (doi: 10.20944/preprints201707.0084.v1)
- Jim Stiles (2018)., Handouts-Noise Margin, University of Kansas., Department of EECS, http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jstiles/312 /handouts/Noise%20Margins.pdf, 25th January 2018
- Selkey F. (2010)., Power Consumption of a MOSFET., Undergraduate Journal of Mathematical Modeling: One+ Two, 2(2), 11.