Modeling of trihalomethanes in the water distribution network of Brazzaville, Congo
- 1Laboratoire de Génie des Procédés Industriels, ENSP, UMNG, BP 69, Brazzaville, Congo
- 2Laboratoire de Chimie, ENS, UMNG, BP 69, Brazzaville, Congo
- 3Laboratoire de Chimie, ENS, UMNG, BP 69, Brazzaville, Congo and Laboratoire de Chimie Minérale et Appliquée, FST, UMNG, BP 69, Brazzaville, Congo
- 4Laboratoire de Chimie Minérale et Appliquée, FST, UMNG, BP 69, Brazzaville, Congo
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 7, Issue (8), Pages 1-10, August,2 (2018)
The preparation of clean water from a hygienic point of view is one of the main challenges of our time. It is therefore essential to carry out an appropriate treatment of water, in order to avoid any risk to health. In this study, THMTs were identified and quantified in the drinking water distribution network during two sampling periods, namely September 2016 and March 2017, which represent the dry and rainy seasons respectively, with other parameters such as total organic carbon (TOC), temperature (T), pH, concentration of consumed chlorine (DCl), absorbance (UV 254nm), residual chlorine concentration (Cl2 res.), bromide ion (Br-) and ammonium ion (NH4+). THMT are mainly composed of chloroform, which accounts for 97% of THMT. The parameters for better prediction of THMT concentration were: TOC, T and DCI with a coefficient of determination R2 = 0.92.
- Ingle P.M., Bhange H.N., Gavit B.K. and Purohit R.C. (2018)., Appraisal of groundwater quality to estimate its appropriateness for farming uses., Res. J. Recent Sci., 7(5), 21-24.
- Chowdhury S., Rodriguez M.J. and Sadiq R. (2011)., Disinfection byproducts in Canadian provinces: associated cancer risks and medical expenses., Journal of hazardous materials, 187(1-3), 574-584.
- Arman K., Pardakhti A., Osoleddini N. and Leili M. (2016)., Cancer risk assessment from multi-exposure to chloroform in drinking water of Ilam City, Iran., Avicenna J Environ Health Eng., 3(1), e5331, 1-7.
- Zidane F., Cheggari K., Blais J.F., Khlil N., Ahmed S.I., Bensaid J. and Drogui P. (2014)., Effect of organic pollution on trihalomethanes formation and halogenated organic compounds in feed water of Casablanca in Morocco., J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 5(2), 338-349.
- Guergazi S., Yahiaoui K., Amimeur D. and Achour S. (2014)., Impact of the chlorination process on the quality of Algerian surface waters., J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 5(2), 2354-2358.
- Rodriguez M.J., Serodes J.B. and Levallois P. (2004)., Behavior of trihalomethanes and haloacitic acids in a drinking water distribution system., Water Research, 38(20), 4367-4382.
- Galapate R.P., Base A.U., Ito K. and Okada M. (1999)., The trihalomethane formation potentiel prediction using some chemical functional groups and bulk parameters., Water Research, 33(11), 2555-2560.
- Rook J.J. (1974)., Formation of haloforms during chlorination of natural waters., Water Treat Examiners, 23(2), 234-243.
- Golfinopoulos S.K. and Arhonditsis G.B. (2006)., National primary drinking water regulation (Stage 2) disinfectant and disinfection by products (Final rule)., Fed. Regist, 71, 388- 493.
- Souaya E.R., Abdullah A.M., Maatook G.A. and Abdelkhabeer M.A. (2014)., Exposure Assessment and the Risk Associated with Trihalomethane Compounds in Drinking Water, Cairo-Egypt., J Environ Anal Toxicol, 5, 243.
- Yazdanbakhsh A., Leili M., Rezazadeh A.M., Masoudinejad M. and Majlesi M. (2014)., Chloroform concentration in drinking water of Tehran., J. Mazan- daran Univ Med Sci., 24(114), 102-130.
- US-EPA. (2006)., Initial Distribution System Evaluation Guidance Manual for the Final Stage 2 Disinfectants and Disinfection By-products Rule., Washington, DC. Report N°: EPA 815-B-06-002.
- Schriks M., Heringa M.B., van der Kooi M.M., de Voogt P. and Van Wezel A.P. (2010)., Toxicological relevance of emerging contaminants for drinking water quality., Water research, 44(2), 461-476.
- Mishra B.K., Priya T., Gupta S.K. and Sinha A. (2016)., Modeling and characterization of natural organic matter and its relationship with the THMs formation., Global NEST Journal, 18(4), 803-816.
- Dunn G., Bakker K. and Harris L. (2014)., Drinking water quality guidelines across Canadian provinces and territories: jurisdictional variation in the context of decentralized water governance., International journal of environmental research and public health, 11(5), 4634-4651.
- Di Cristo C., Esposito G. and Leopardi A. (2013)., Modelling trihalomethanes formation in water supply systems., Environmental technology, 34(1), 61-70.
- Gan W., Guo W., Mo J., He Y., Liu Y., Liu W., Liang Y. and Yang X. (2013)., The occurrence of disinfection by-products in municipal drinking water in China's Pearl River Delta and a multipath way cancer risk assessment., Sci. Total Environ., 447, 108-115.
- Mouly D., Joulin E., Rosin C., Beaudeau P., Zeghnoun A., Olszewski-Ortar A. and Montiel A. (2010)., Variations in trihalomethane levels in three French water distribution systems and the development of a predictive model., water research, 44(18), 5168-5179.
- Golfinopoulos S.K. and Arhonditsis G.B. (2002)., Multiple regression models: A methodology for evaluating trihalomethane concentrations in drinking water from raw water characteristics., Chemosphere, 47(9), 1007-1018.
- Dominguez T.A., Arias B.A., Tamara G.B. and Gómez A.J. (2015)., Seasonal and spatial evolution of trihalomethanes in a drinking water distribution system according to the treatment process., Environ Monit. Assess, 187, 662.
- World Health Organization (WHO). (2011)., Guidelines for drinking-water quality., 4(27), Geneva, Switzerland.
- National Health and Medical Research Council (2004)., Australian Drinking Water Guidelines., 6. Available at http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines/publications/eh34.
- Hervé G. and Urs V.G. (2002)., Chlorination of natural organic matter: Kinetics of chlorination and of THM formation., Water Research, 36(1), 65-74.
- Liang L. and Singer P.C. (2003)., Factors influencing the formation and relative distribution of haloacetic acids and trihalomethanes in drinking water., Environ. Sci. Technol, 37(13), 2920-2928.
- Chen W.J. and Welsel CP. (1998)., Halogenated DBP concentrations in a distribution system., J Am Water work Assoc, 90(4), 151-163.
- Ali S. (2011)., Significant test of coefficient multiple regressions by using permutation methods., Journal of Applied Sciences, 11(18), 3328-3332.
- Hassani A.H., Jafari M.A. and Torabifar B. (2010)., Trihalomethanes Concentration in Different Components of Water Treatment Plant and Water Distribution System in the North of Iran., Int. J. Environ. Res., 4(4), 887-892.
- Lombardi L. and Carnevale E. (2013)., Economic evaluations of innovative biogas upgrading method with CO2 storage., Energy, 62, 88-94.