Antifungal activity and phytochemical analysis of the alcoholic and aqueous extract of the Aerial part of the plant Tamarindus indica L.
- 1Dept. of Microbiology, College of Life Sciences, CHRI Campus Gwalior- 474009, M.P. India
- 2Biotechnology, VISM, Campus Jhansi Road, Gwalior- 475001, M.P. India
- 3Dept. of Microbiology, College of Life Sciences, CHRI Campus Gwalior- 474009, M.P. India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 6, Issue (9), Pages 8-13, September,2 (2017)
Tamarindus indica is fruit tree which belong to the family leguminosae (Fabeaceae) a medicinal plant commonly known as imli. Plants are recognized for their ability to produce a wealth of secondary metabolites and mankind has used many species for centuries to treat a variety of diseases. Tamarind has been used for centuries as a medicinal plant. . Due to their antimicrobial, an antifungal and antiseptic effect, have an extensive ethnobotanical use in many areas. Aerial plant parts - stem, bark and fruit of Tamarindus indica were tested for their antifungal property in vitro using well diffusion method against five fungal strains Candida albicans, Candida glabrata, Candida krusei, Candida sp.and Aspergillus niger. Air dried powder of stem and bark sample ethnolic, methanolic and aqueous crude extracts, was tested at 50ug, 100ug and 200ug concentrations for antifungal activity. The phytochemical analysis revealed the presence of many active constituents.
- Khanzada S.K., Shaikh W., Sofia S., Kazi T.G., Usmanghani K., Kabir A. and Sheerazi T.H. (2008)., Chemical constituents of Tamarindus indica L. Medicinal plant in Sindii., Pak. J. Bot., 40(6), 2553-2559.
- Doughari J.H. (2006)., Antimicrobial Activity of Tamarindus indica Linn., Trop. J. Pharm. Res., 5(2), 597-603.
- Singh Santosh Bhadoriya, Ganeshpurkar Aditya, Narwaria Jitendra, Rai Gopal and Jain Alok Pal (2011)., Tamarindus indica: Extent of explored potential., Pharmacogn Rev., 5(9), 73-81.
- Waghmare Shital S., Jadhav Dipali Y., Ghosh Jai S. and Sahoo Akshay K. (2010)., Characterization of some Antimicrobial Substances from Seed Coat of Tamarindus indica Linn., British Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology, 1(1), 29-32.
- Islam Ara N Monirul (2009)., Phytochemical screening and In vitro antibacterial activity of Tamarindus indica seeds ethanolic extract., Pharmacology, 26(1), 19-23.
- Daniyan S.Y. and Muhammad H.B. (2008)., Evaluation of antimicrobial activities and phytochemical properties of extracts of Tamarindus indica against some disease causing bacteria., African journal of Biotechnology, 7(14), 2451- 2453.
- Muthu Shankar Esaki, Nandakumar Subhadra and Rao Usha Anand (2005)., The effect of methanolic extract of Tamarindus indica Linn. on the growth of clinical isolates of Burkholderia pseudomallei., Indian J Med Res., 122(6), 525-528.
- Mbatchou V.C., Ayebila A.J. and Apea O.B. (2011)., Antibacterial activity of phytochemicals from Acacia nilotica, Entada Africana and Mimosa pigra Linn on Salmonella typh., Journal of Animal and plants Sciences, 10(1), 1248-1258.
- Harbone J.B. (1998)., Phytochemical methods: A Guide in Modern Techniques of Plants Analysis., Chapman and Hall Ltd, London, 10, 182-190.
- Sofowora E.A. (1993)., Medicinal Plants and Traditional Medicines in Africa., Chichester John Wiley and Sons, New York, 97-145.
- Okeke M.I., Iroegbu C.U., Eze E.N., Okoli A.S. and Esimone C.O. (2001)., Evaluation of extracts of the root of Landolphia owerrience for antibacterial activity., Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 78, 119-127.
- Baker C.N. and Thormsberg C.H. (1983)., Inoculum standardization in antimicrobial susceptibility testing: evaluation of overnight agar cultures and the Rapid Inoculum Standardization System., J. Clin Microbial, 17(3), 150-457.
- NCCLS (National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standard) (1999)., Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing., 9th International Supplement. M100-S9, Wayne Pa.
- Srivastava J., Lambert J. and Vietmeyer N. (1996)., Medicinal plants: An expanding role in development., World Bank Publications, 320.
- Cowan M.M. (1999)., Plants products as antimicrobial agents., Clin. Microbiol. Rev., 12(4), 564-582.
- Scalbert A. (1991)., Antimicrobial properties of tannins., Phytochemistry, 30(12), 3875-3883.
- Urs N.V.R.R. and Dunleavy J.M. (1975)., Enhancement of the bactericidal activity of a peroxidase system by phenolic compounds [Xanthomonas phaseoli sojensis, soybeans, bacterial diseases]., Phytopathology 65, 686-690.
- Nwodo Uchechukwu U., obiiyeke Grace E., Chigor Vincent N. and Okoh Anthony I. (2011)., Assessment of Tamarindus indica Extract for Antibacterial Activity., International journal of molecular sciences, 12(10), 6385-6396.
- Gumgumjee Nehad M., Khedr Alaa and Hajar A.S. (2012)., Antimicrobial activity and chemical properties of Tamarindus indica L. leaves extract., African Journal of Microbiology Research, 6(32), 6172-6181.
- Dhamija Isha and Parle Milind (2012)., Imli: A craze lovely., International Research Journal of Pharmacy, 3(8), 110-115.
- Rasheed Shaymaa fouad (2014)., Antibacterial activity of Tamarindus indica seeds extract and study the effect of extract on adherence and Biofilm production of some bacteria., International journal of Biological and Pharmaceutical Research, 5(1), 42-47.
- Ugoh Sylvanus Chukwudi and Jaruna Isa Mohammed (2013)., Phytochemical Screening and Antibacterial Activity of the Fruit anf Leaf Extracts of Tamarindus indica Linn., Rep. opinion, 5(8), 18-27.
- Gupta C., Prakash D. and Gupta S. (2014)., Studies on the antimicrobial activity of Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) and its potential as food bio- preservative., International Food Research Journal, 21(6), 2437-2441.
- Srinivasan D., Perumalsamy L.P., Nathan S. and Sures T. (2001)., Antimicrobial activity of certain Indian medicinal plants used in folkloric medicine., J Ethnopharm, 74(3), 217-220.
- Cowan M.C. (1999)., Plant products as antimicrobial agents., Clin Microbiol Rev, 12(4), 564-582.
- Escalona- Arranz Julio Cesar, Peres-Roses renato, Urdaneta- Laffita Imilci, Camaacho- Pozo Miladis Isabel, Rodriguez- Amado Jesus and Licea-Jimenez Irina (2010)., Antimicrobial activity of extract from Tamarindus indica L. leaves., Pharmacogn mag., 6(23), 242-247.
- Abuzied Aram, Adam Mawadda, Abdalla Rashid Eltayeb, Uro Abu baker Osman and Suleiman Amel Ali (2014)., The Antimicrobial effect of Aqueous extract of Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) Leaves., Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Research.
- Adeola A.A., Adeola O.O. and Dosumu O.O. (2010)., Comparative analyses of phytochemicals and antimicrobial properties of extracts of Wild Tamarindus indica pulps., Afr. J. Microbiol. Res, 4(24), 2769-2779.
- Jadhav Dipali Y., Sahoo Akshaya K., Ghosh Jai S., Ranveer Rahul C. and Mali Aruna M. (2010)., Phytochemical Detection and in vitro Evaluation of Tamarind fruit Pulp for potential Antimicrobial Activity., International Journal of Tropical Medicine, 5(3), 68-72.