Effect of grazers on seaweeds along the Shrivardhan and Alibag Coast, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- 1ICAR- Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Versova, Mumbai-400061, Maharashtra, India and College of Fisheries, Junagadh Agricultural University, Veraval - 362 265, Gujarat, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 6, Issue (7), Pages 33-39, June,2 (2017)
Intertidal communities, at Shrivardhan and Alibag were studied to understand their inter-dependence and co-existence as well as food preferences of the grazer communities. The present study was conducted at rocky and sandy shore of Shrivardhan (18°02&
- Stephens A.C. (1934)., Studies on the Scottish marine fauna: The natural faunistic divisions of the North Sea illustrated by quantitative distribution of the mollusks., Earth and Environmental Science Transactions of The Royal Society of Edinburgh, 57(3), 601-616.
- Connell J.H. (1961)., The influence of interspecific competition and other factors on the distribution of the barnacle Chthamalus stellatus., Ecology, 42(4), 710-723.
- Paine R.T. and Vadas R.L. (1969)., Calorific values of benthic marine algae and their postulated relation to invertebrate food preference., Marine Biology, 4(2), 79-86.
- Paine R.T. (1979)., Disaster, catastrophe, and local persistence of the sea palm Postelsia palmaeformis., Science, 205(4407), 685-687.
- Lubchenco J. (1980)., Seaweed zonation in the New England rocky intertidal community: an experimental analysis., Ecology, 61(2), 333-344.
- Carefoot T.H. (1977)., Pacific seashores: a guide to intertidal ecology., J.J. Douglas, Vancouver, 16, 80-82.
- Lewis J.R. (1964)., The ecology of rocky shores, English University Press., London U.K., 402-416.
- Jones W.E. and Demetropoulos A. (1968)., Exposure to wave action: measurements of an important ecological parameter on rocky shores on Anglesey., J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol., 2(1), 46-63.
- Oza R.M. and Zaidi S.H. (2000)., A Revised Checklist of Indian Marine Algae., Central Salt and Marine Chemicals Research Institute, Bhavanagar, India, 296.
- Raffaelli D. (1979)., The grazer-algae interaction in the intertidal zone on New Zealand rocky shore., J.exp.mar.Biol.Ecol., 38(1), 81-100.
- Underwood A.J. and Jernakoff P. (1981)., Effect of interaction between Algae and grazing gastropods on the structure of a low shore intertidal seaweed community., Oecologia (Berl), 48(2), 221-233.