Comparison between transportation technique and linear programming technique for any problem
- 1Department of Mathematics, Mewar University, Chittorgarh, Rajasthan, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 6, Issue (6), Pages 57-58, June,2 (2017)
In this paper comparison between transportation technique and linear programming technique for any problem is presented. Though the transportation problems are the particular form of the linear programming problem, therefore the same can be solved by the simplex method but when the number of unknown quantities x_ij is large, then the procedure of finding the solution becomes very lengthy and cumbersome therefore we shall use the convenient method to solve the transportation problem. First of all initial basic feasible solution is obtained for the problem and then it is improved by iteration.
- Hillier F.S. and Lieberman G.J. (2008)., Introduction to Operations Research., 3rd ed. San Francisco: Holden-Day, Inc. 49.
- Holladay J. (2007)., Some Transportation Problems and Techniques for Solving them., Naval Research Logistics, 11(1), 15-42.
- Hillier F.S. and Lieberman G.J. (1995)., Introduction to Operations Research., 6th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, Inc. 998.
- Ignizio J.P., Gupta J.N.D. and Mc Nichols G.R. (1975)., Operations Research in Decision Making., New York, Crane, Russak & Company, Inc., 343.
- Reeb J. and Leavengood S. (1998)., Using the Simplex Method to Solve Linear Programming Maximization Problems., EM 8720. Corvallis: Oregon State University Extension Service, 28.
- Rothkopf Michael H., Larson Richard C., Cook Thomas M., Albin Susan L., Kleinmuntz Don N., Theurer Jack G. and Weintraub Andres (2004)., Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences., 901 Elkridge Landing Road, Suite 400, Linthicum, MD. http://www.informs.org/ Lapin, L.L. 1985, INFORMS Journal on Computing, 16(2).
- Bierman H., Bonini C.P. and Hausman W.H. (1977)., Quantitative Analysis for Business Decisions., Homewood, IL: Richard D. Irwin, Inc., 642.
- Dantiziz G.B. (2003)., Linear Programming and Extension., Princeton, N.J., Princeton University Press, 117.
- Lapin Lawrence L. (1994)., Quantitative Methods for Business Decisions with Cases., 3rd ed. San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 780.
- Ravindran A., Phillips D.T. and Solberg J.J. (1987)., Operations Research: Principles and Practice., 2nd ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 637.