Analysis of banned organochlorine pesticide residues in fruit and vegetable samples from a market in shillong, Meghalaya, using gas chromatography – mass spectrometry
- 1Department of Environmental Studies, North Eastern Hill University, Shillong-793022., Meghalaya, India
- 2Department of Environmental Studies, North Eastern Hill University, Shillong-793022., Meghalaya, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 6, Issue (12), Pages 9-11, December,2 (2017)
In this study, six fruits and vegetable products (apple, grapes, tomato, lettuce, potato and cabbage) were collected from Iewduh market in Shillong which is the state capital of Meghalaya, India, and were tested to reveal whether they were contaminated with organochlorine pesticides which are banned under Indian Law for posing a threat to the health of humans as well as the environment. For the purpose of this study three banned organochlorines: dieldrin, heptachlor and endosulfan were chosen. A standard operating procedure using Gas Chromatography – Mass Spectrometry was employed for their analysis.
- Garcai P.F., Ascencio C.Y., Oyarzun G.C.J., Hernandez C.A. and Alavarado V.P. (2012)., Pesticides: classification, uses and toxicity. Measures of exposure and genotoxic risks., Journal of Research in Environmentl Science and Toxicology (ISSN: 2315-5698), 1(11), 279-293.
- Dent D. (1991)., Insect Pest Management: Insecticides., C.A.B International, 146-147. ISBN: 0-85198-667-6.
- http://cibrc.nic.in/list_pest_bann.html. Retrieved on 10.10.2017., undefined, undefined
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (2002)., Toxicological Profile for Aldrin and Dieldrin., U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1-4.
- US Department of Health and Human Services (2005)., Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, 2007., Case Studies in Envionmental medicin-Lead toxicity. ATSDR Publication ATSDR-HE-CS-2001-0001.
- Naiar S.A., Tom T.T. and Pradeep T. (2003)., Detection and Extraction of Endosulfan by Metal Nanoparticles., J. Environmenta Monit., 5(2), 363-365.
- Department of Health and Family Welfare, Report on Health Effects of Endosulfan and Progress of Rehabilitation Activities in Kerala (2011)., Endosulfan The Kerela Story., Department of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Kerala, 9.
- Press Information Bureau (2014)., Ban on Endosulphan. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India., Retrived on 19.10.2017 http://pib.nic.in/newsite/ PrintRelease.aspx?relid=107462.
- Census (2011)., Shillong City Census 2011 data., http://www.census2011.co.in/census/city/187-shillong.html.
- Sneddon J., Masuram S. and Richert C.J. (2007)., Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectometry- Basic Principles, Instrumentation and Selected Applications for Detection of Organic Compounds., Analytical Letters (ISSN: 0003-2719), 40(6), 1003-1012.
- Hussain Z.S. and Maqbool K.M. (2014)., GC-MS: Principle, Technique and its application in Food Science., INT CURR SCI, 13(E), 116-126.
- Bhuvaneshwari R. and Rajendran B.R. (2012)., GCMS Determination of Organochlorine Pesticides (OCPS) in Fish from River Cauvery and Veeranam Lake., E-Journal of Chemistry, 9(4), 2346-2353.
- Press Trust of India. (2016)., Use of pesticides elsewhere allowed in India., Business Lines, The Hindu, 1. Retrieve on 13.10.2017. http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ economy/agri-business/use-of-51-pesticides-banned-elsewhere-allowed-in-india-centre-tells-high-court/article 9416251.ece