Integrating antecedent of constructive deviance and exploring obstacles in organization and work related outcomes
- 1Department of Management Sciences, Shaheed Zulifiqar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology (SZABIST), Islamabad, Pakistan
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 6, Issue (11), Pages 1-9, November,2 (2017)
The goal of this study is to specifically examine the impact of organization culture and supervisor support on constructive deviance in banking sector. The data was collected from management trainee employees of a banking sector; a total of 241 data was collected. The study includes statistical analysis in following steps first correlation and then regression. The hypothesis indicate that the association between organization culture and constructive deviance is positive, the association between supervisor supports and constructive deviance is positive, further finding indicates that felt obligation positively mediates the relationship between organization culture and constructive deviance, felt obligation positively mediates the relationship between supervisor support and constructive deviance, respectively. Whereas, neuroticism shows negative association as a moderator between felt obligation and constructive deviance. The study was examined between management trainee employees those that violate organization rules for benefit of the organization, the reason why they engage in different behaviors are explored. This study was explored with theoretical evidence thus the finding may be useful for both academic and managerial implications.
- Vadera A.K.. Pratt M.G. and Mishra P. (2013)., Constructive deviance in organizations integrating and moving forward., Journal of Management, 39(5), 1221-1276.
- Lee K. and Allen N. J. (2002)., Organizational citizenship behavior and workplace deviance: the role of affect and cognitions., Journal of applied psychology, 87(1), 131.
- Khan M., Ziauddin J.F. and Ramay M.I. (2010)., The impacts of organizational commitment on employee job performance., European Journal of Social Sciences, 15(3), 292-298.
- Islam N. (2004)., Sifarish, sycophants, power and collectivism: Administrative culture in Pakistan., International Review of Administrative Sciences, 70(2), 311-330.
- Jawad M. (2013)., Oil price volatility and its impact on economic growth in Pakistan., Journal of Finance and Economics, 1(4), 62-68.
- Spreitzer G.M. and Sonenshein S. (2004)., Toward the construct definition of positive deviance., American behavioral scientist, 47(6), 828-847.
- Aquino K. Galperin B. L. and Bennett R. J. (2004)., Social status and aggressiveness as moderators of the relationship between interactional justice and workplace deviance., Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 34(5), 1001-1029.
- Donaldson T. and Dunfee T. (1994)., Toward a unified conception of business ethics: Integrative social contracts theory., Academy of management review, 19(2), 252-284
- Warren D. (2003)., Constructive and destructive deviance tn organizations., Academy of management Review, 28(4), 622-632.
- Organ D.W. (1994)., Personality and organizational citizenship behavior., Journal of management, 20(2), 465-478.
- Organ D.W. (1998)., Organizational Citizenship Behavior., The Good Soldier Syndrome, Lexington Books, England, 160, ISBN 10:0669117889
- De Vries G. Jehn K.A. and Terwel B.W. (2012)., When employees stop talking and start fighting: The detrimental effects of pseudo voice in organizations., Journal of Business Ethics, 105(2), 221-230.
- Van de Ven A. H. (1986)., Central problems in the management of innovation., Management science, 32(5), 590-607.
- Cale E.M. (2006)., A quantitative review of the relations between the “Big 3” higher order personality dimensions and antisocial behavior., Journal of Research in Personality, 40(3), 250-284.
- Burke C.S., Stagl K.C., Klein C., Goodwin G.F., Salas E. and Halpin S.M. (2006)., What type of leadership behaviors are functional in teams? A meta-analysis., The leadership quarterly, 17(3), 288-307.
- Robinson S.L. and Bennett R.J. (1995)., A typology of deviant workplace behaviors: A multidimensional scaling study., Academy of management journal, 38(2), 555-572.
- Galperin B.L. and Burke R.J. (2006)., Uncovering the relationship between workaholism and workplace destructive and constructive deviance: An exploratory study., The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 17(2), 331-347.
- Galperin B.L. (2012)., Exploring the nomological network of workplace deviance: Developing and validating a measure of constructive deviance., Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 42(12), 2988-3025.
- Bowling N.A. (2010)., Effects of job satisfaction and conscientiousness on extra-role behaviors., Journal of Business and Psychology, 25(1), 119-130.
- Rhoades L. Eisenberger R. and Armeli S. (2001)., Affective commitment to the organization: The contribution of perceived organizational support., Journal of applied psychology, 86(5), 825.
- McDonald S. (2014)., Social responsibility clusters arising from social partnerships., Social Responsibility Journal, 10(2), 331-347.
- Lantos G. P. (2001)., The boundaries of strategic corporate social responsibility., Journal of consumer marketing, 18(7), 595-632.
- Bodankin M. and Tziner A. (2009)., Constructive deviance, destructive deviance and personality: how do they interrelate., Amfiteatru Economic Journal, 11, 549-564.
- Taylor E.Z. and Curtis M.B. (2010)., An examination of the layers of workplace influences in ethical judgments: Whistleblowing likelihood and perseverance in public accounting., Journal of Business Ethics, 93(1), 21-37.
- Burt S.A. and Donnellan M.B. (2008)., Personality correlates of aggressive and non-aggressive antisocial behavior., Personality and Individual Differences, 44(1), 53-63.
- Norman W.T. (1963)., Toward an adequate taxonomy of personality attributes: Replicated factor structure in peer nomination personality ratings., The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 66(6), 574.
- Judge T.A. and Ilies R. (2002)., Relationship of personality to performance motivation: a meta-analytic review., Journal of applied psychology, 87(4), 797.
- Fiske D.W. (1949)., Consistency of the factorial structures of personality ratings from different sources., The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 44(3), 329.
- Schou Andreassen C., Ursin H. and Eriksen H.R. (2007)., The relationship between strong motivation to work, “workaholism”, and health., Psychology and Health, 22(5), 615-629.
- Bakker A.B., Tims M. and Derks D. (2012)., Proactive personality and job performance: The role of job crafting and work engagement., Human relations, 65(10), 1359-1378.
- Stamper C.L. and Dyne L.V. (2001)., Work status and organizational citizenship behavior: A field study of restaurant employees., Journal of Organizational Behavior, 22(5), 517-536.
- Rothwell G.R. and Baldwin J.N. (2007)., Ethical climate theory, whistle-blowing, and the code of silence in police agencies in the state of Georgia., Journal of Business Ethics, 70(4), 341-361.
- Shanock L.R. and Eisenberger R. (2006)., When supervisors feel supported: relationships with subordinates, Journal of Applied psychology, 91(3), 689.
- Tepper B.J. (2007)., Abusive supervision in work organizations: Review, synthesis and research agenda., Journal of management, 33(3), 261-289.
- Crant J.M., Kim T.Y. and Wang J. (2011)., Dispositional antecedents of demonstration and usefulness of voice behavior., Journal of Business and Psychology, 26(3), 285-297.
- Morrison E.W. and Phelps C.C. (1999)., Taking charge at work: Extra role efforts to initiate workplace change., Academy of management Journal, 42(4), 403-419.
- Dirzyte A. (2014)., Relationship between Lithuanians’ attitudes towards life, emotional states, and suicidal ideation., American international journal of contemporary research, 4(8), 29-39.
- De Stobbeleir K.E., Ashford S.J. and Buyens D. (2011)., Self-regulation of creativity at work: The role of feedback-seeking behavior in creative performance., Academy of Management Journal, 54(4), 811-831.
- Nunnally J.C. (1975)., Psychometric Theory—25 Years Ago and Now., Educational Researcher, 4(10), 7-21.
- Likert R. (1967)., The human organization: its management and values.,
- Baron R.M. and Kenny D.A. (1986)., The moderator–mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations., Journal of personality and social psychology, 51(6), 1173.