Potentiometric analysis of Dimethyl Sulfoxide, Di-n-octyl Sulfoxide, Diphenyl Sulfoxide, p-di-tolyl Sulfoxide and Indium Complex of Diphenyl Sulfoxide in Non Aqueous Solvents
- 1Department of Chemistry, Brijlal Biyani Science College, Amravati, Maharashtra, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (ISC-2015), Pages 108-114, -----Select----,2 (2016)
In medicine Dimethyl Sulfoxide is predominantly used as a topical analgesic, a vehicle for topical application of pharmaceuticals, as an anti-inflammatory, and an antioxidant. This paper deals with Potentiometric Analysis of Dimethyl Sulfoxide, Di-n-octyl Sulfoxide, Diphenyl Sulfoxide, p-di-tolyl Sulfoxide and Indium Complex of Diphenyl Sulfoxide in Non Aqueous Solvents such as sulphuric acid, phosphoric acid, glacial acetic acid and acetic anhydride. In present analysis two types of potentiometric titrations Oxidation-Reduction and Acid-Base titrations in nonaqueous solvents have been performed, and interest is focused upon changes in the e.m.f. of an electrolytic cell as a titrant of precisely known concentration is added to a solution of the analyte. OSAW direct reading potentiometer was used to carry out redox titrations using platinum and saturated calomel electrodes. The pH-titrations were made with an ELICO LI-10 pH-meter in conjunction with Glass (EM-42) and calomel (ER-70) electrodes. An end point is located more precisely by plotting successive values of the rate of change of cell e.m.f. vs each increment of titrant in the vicinity of the inflection point. The position of the maximum on the first derivative curve corresponds to the inflection point on the normal titration curve. Fairly accurate results with high degree of precision are observed.
- DMSO (2009). exactantigen.com. Retrieved 2009-10-02.
- Balakin K.V., Savchuk N.P. and Tetko I.V., (2006)., InSilico Approaches to Prediction of Aqueous and DMSOSolubility of Drug-Like Compounds: Trends, Problemsand Solutions., Current Medicinal Chemistry, 13(2), 223–241.
- Geiss J., (2001)., The century of space science., KluwerAcademic. p. 20. ISBN 0-7923-7195-X. Retrieved Aug7, 2011.
- Paulin H.J., Murphy J.B., Larson R.E., (1966)., Determination of Dimethyl Sulfoxide in Plasma andCerebrospinal Fluid by Gas-Liquid Chromatography., Anal. Chem., 38(4), 651–652.
- Figueroa R.H., Roig E. and Szmant H.H., (1966)., Theassociation of sulfoxides with phenols., SpectrochimicaActa, 22(6), 1107-1115.
- Shukla J.P., Pai S. and Subramanian M.S., (1979)., Solvent Extraction of Plutonium (IV), Uranium(VI), andSome Fission Products with Di-n-octylsulfoxide., Separation Science and Technology 14(10), 883-894.
- Lang R.F., Brown C.J., (1991)., Determination ofdimethyl sulfoxide and dimethyl sulfone in air., Anal.Chem., 63(2), 186–189.
- Hatton A.D., Malin G., McEwan A.G., Liss P.S., (1994)., Determination of Dimethyl Sulfoxide in AqueousSolution by an Enzyme-Linked Method., Anal. Chem..,66(22), 4093–4096.
- Stoynov E.S., Mikhailov V.A. and Torgov V.G., (1994)., Us T.V. Composition and structure of complexes formedin the reaction of uranyl di (2-ethylhexyl) phosphate andtributyl phosphate or di-N -octyl sulfoxide in benzenesolutions., Journal of Structural Chemistry, 35(6), 809-816.
- Jie Y., Guipeng Y. and Jian Y. (2011)., Study on theanalysis and distribution of dimethylsulfoxide in theJiaozhou Bay., Acta Oceanol. Sin., 30(6), 36-45.
- Fascione M.A., Adshead S.J., Mandal P.K., Kilner C.A.,Leach A.G. and Bruce W., (2012)., Mechanistic Studieson a Sulfoxide Transfer Reaction Mediated by DiphenylSulfoxide/Triflic Anhydride., Turnbull Chemistry, 18(10),2987–2997.