A Study of the Refractive Index, Optical Transition, Optical Band Energy Gap and Urbach Energy of TiO2 Doped PMMA Films
- 1Department of Post Graduate Studies and Research in Physics, St. Aloysius College (Autonomous), Jabalpur, MP, 482001, India
- 2Department of Post Graduate Studies and Research in Physics, St. Aloysius College (Autonomous), Jabalpur, MP, 482001, India
- 3Department of Post Graduate Studies and Research in Physics, Rani Durgavati Vishwavidyalaya, Jabalpur, MP, 482001, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (ISC-2015), Pages 79-84, -----Select----,2 (2016)
UV-visible studies on titanium oxide doped samples of poly (methyl methacrylate) films have been undertaken and the absorption data used to determine the nature of the optical transition. Further, the optical band energy gap and Urbach energy of the pure and doped samples have also been calculated. Refractive index measurements were made on the pure and titaniun oxide doped poly (methyl methacrylate) films at visible light wavelengths of 405,458, 492.2, 499, 546, 589, 632.8, 659.2, 670.2 nanometer. Modelling of the optical dispersion data was done by theoretical as well as empirical models and the quality of the fits was compared by the residuals. It was seen that both the Sellmeier and Helmholtz theoretical models as well as the Herzberger and Schott equations for optical glasses gave good fits.
- Tropf W.J. (2010), Thomas M. E. and Rogala E. W.,, Properties of Crystals and Glasses, Handbook of Optics, ,Bass M. (editor), IV, 2.21-2.23.
- Groh W. and Zimmermann A. (1991)., What is the lowestrefractive index of an organic polymer, ?,Macromolecules, 24(25), 6660-6663.
- Das K. (2015). OPTrUe:, A Software Package to AnalyseUV-visible Spectroscopic Data to Determine the OpticalTransition, Band Energy Gap and Urbach Energy,International Conference on Exploring Trends andPractices of Information Technology and Management, ,Jabalpur, India.
- Cody G.D., Tiedje T., Abeles B., Brooks B. andGoldstein Y. (1981)., Disorder and the OpticalAbsorptionEdge of Hydrogenated Amorphous Silicon, ,Phys. Rev. Lett., 47, 1480
- Wasim S.M. , Rincón C., Marín G., Bocaranda P.,Hernández E., Bonalde I. and Medina E. (2001)., Effectof Structural Disorder on the Urbach Energy in CuTernaries, , Phys. Rev. B, 64, 195101.
- Eunah K., Jiang Z.T. and No K. (2000), Measurement andCalculation of Optical band Gap of ChromiumAluminum Oxide Films, Japan Journal of AppliedPhysics, , 39(1,8),4820-4825.
- D, OpticalProperties of Iodine-PMMA Composites, , Proceedings ofthe l4th International Symposium on Electrets(ISE14),IEEE, Montpellier, France.
- Urbach F. (1953), The Long-Wavelength Edge ofPhotographic Sensitivity and of the ElectronicAbsorption of Solids, , Phys. Rev., 92,1324.
- Moser F. and Urbach F. (1956)., Optical Absorption ofPure Silver Halides, , Phys. Rev. 102, 1519-1523.
- Kajihara K., Hirano M., Skuja L. and Hosono H. (2011)., Frenkel Defect Process in Amorphous Silica, , Proc.,SPIE, 8077, 80770R.
- Mateev A.N. (1988)., Optics, , 112-116.
- Jenkins F.A. and White H. E. (1957)., Fundamentals ofOptics, , 466-477.
- Condon E.U. (1967)., Molecular Optics, Handbook ofPhysics, , Condon E.U. and Odishaw H. (editors), 6, 114 –116.
- Lentes F.T. (1998)., Refractive Index and Dispersion, TheProperties of Optical Glass, , Bach H. and Neuroth N.(editors), 24-26.