A comparative study on Low Heat Rejection Engine using two different TBC Materials
- 1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Shri S’ad Vidya Mandal Institute of Technology, Bharuch-392001, Gujarat, India
- 2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology, Surat- 395007, Gujarat, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (ISC-2015), Pages 60-70, -----Select----,2 (2016)
The energy demand worldwide is increasing at rapid rate; therefore it is necessary as better and effective utilization of available energy by use of appropriate technology at minimum cost. The internal combustion engines have found wide application in transportation. In the present paper, Comparative study on low heat rejection engine (LHRE) using two different better thermal barrier coating (TBC) ceramic materials. Considerable efforts were made to develop advance adiabatic engine and aim to reduce heat lost. Experimental investigation is carried out under different load condition on a twin cylinder, water cool, and constant 1500 rpm speed diesel engine. The plasma spray coating technology is used for TBC for diesel engine combustion chamber. The one set of combustion chamber inner walls of diesel engine are thermally insulated by top coat of Metco 204NS yttria stabilize zirconia (YSZ) /(Y2O3ZrO2) with thickness of 350 mm and 150 mm thick bond coats of AMDRY 962 Nickle chromium aluminum Yttria (NiCrAl) respectively. The another set of diesel engine combustion chamber top coat by MgZrO3Y with 350 mm thickness and 150 mm thickness of bond coat by NiCrAlY. The results were compared with base engine and two different LHRE. The MgZrO3Y coated LHRE found better combustion, performance and emission characteristics. The noise level was found satisfactory without knocking in LHRE.
- Modi A. (2012)., Experimental Study of Energy Balancein Low Heat Rejection Diesel Engine, , SAE TechnicalPaper-01-0389, doi:10.4271/(2012)-01-0389.
- Modi A.J. and Gosai D.C. (2010)., Experimental Analysisof Performance of Low Heat Rejection (LHR) DieselEngine, , International Journal of Advances in ThermalScience and Engineering, 1(1), 17-25.
- Modi A. and Gosai D. (2010)., Experimental Study onLow Heat Rejection Diesel Engine Performance withBlends of Diesel and Palm Biodiesel, , SAE Int. J.FuelsLubr., 3(2), 246-259, doi: 10.4271/-01-1519.
- Modi A. and Patel D. (2015)., Experimental Study onLHR Diesel Engine Performance with Blends of Dieseland Neem Biodiesel, , SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0052, doi:10.4271/2015-26-0052 .
- Ganapathi R., B. Durga Prasad and Omprakash B.(2013)., Performance Evaluation of A Ceramic CoatedWith Air Insulated Four Stroke Diesel Engine, ,International Journal of Current Engineering andTechnology, 3(5) , 1858-1862.
- Ekrem Buyukkya, Tahsin Engin, Muhammet Cerit(2006)., Effect Of TBC On Gas Emissions AndPerformance of A LHR Engine with Different InjectionTimings and Valve Adjustment, s, Energy Conversion andManagement 47,1298-1310.
- E. Abu-Nada, I. Al-Hinti, A.Al-Sarkhi and B. Akash(2006)., Thermodynamic Modeling of Spark IgnitionEngine: Effect of Temperature Dependent Specific Heat,Elsvier, , International Communications in Heat and massTransfer 33, 1264-1272.
- C. Ramesh Kumar and G. Nagrajan (2012)., Performanceand emission characteristics of a LHR SI engine fuelledwith E20, , Journal of Mechanical Science andTechnology, 26(4), 1241-1250.
- Raut Laukik P. (2013)., Computer simulation of CI enginediesel and biodiesel blends, , International Journal ofInnovative Technology and Exploring Engineering, 3(2),82-87.
- Kota Sridhar and Murli R.B.V, (2013)., Computerizesimulation of S I internal combustion engine Journal ofMechanical and Civil Engineering, , 5(3), 05-14.
- J.B. Heywood (1988). Internal Combustion EngineFundamentals, New York, McGraw-Hill., undefined, undefined
- Colin R Ferguson (2012)., Internal Combustion Engine, ,Wiley India, second edition.
- Domkundwar (2006)., Internal Combustion Engine, ,dhanpatrai and co., second edition.
- Samir Sarkar (2009)., Fuel and Combustion, , Thirdedition, universal press.
- Hoyer Kevin S., Moore Wayne R. and Confer Keith(2010)., A simulation method to guide DISI engineredesign for increased efficiency using alcohol fuelblends, , SAE international.
- Sathiyagnanam A.P., Saravanan C.G. and Dhandapani S.,(2010)., Effect of thermal barrier coating plus fueladditive for reducing emission from Di diesel engine,Proceedings of the world congress on engineering, ,Volume II,WCE June 30-July 2, London ,U.K.
- Krzysztof Z. Mendra (2000)., Effects of plasma sprayedzirconia coatings on diesel engine heat release, , Journal ofkones. I.C. engine, 7, 1-2.
- Shrirao P.N. and Pawar A.N., (2011), Evaluation ofPerformance and Emission characteristics ofTurbocharged Diesel Engine with Mullite as ThermalBarrier Coating, , International Journal of Engineeringand Technology 3(3), 256-262.
- İlker Turgut Yilmaz, Metin Gumus and Mehmet Akçay(2010)., Thermal Barrier Coatings for Diesel Engines,International Science Conference, , November 19-20,Unitech, Gabrovo, II173-II177.
- Lawrence P., Mathews P. Koshy and Deeppanraj B.(2011), Experimental Investigation on the performanceand emission characteristics of a low heat rejection dieselengine with Ethanol as fuel”, , American Journal ofApplied Sciences, 8(4), 348-354.
- Ayatollahi M.R., Mohammadi F. and Chamani H.R.,(2011), Thermo-Mechanical fatigue life assessment of adiesel engine piston, , 1(4).
- Serdar Salman, Ramazan Ko¨se, Levent Urtekin andFehim Findik (2006), An investigation of differentceramic coating thermal properties, , Materials and Design27, 585-590.
- Katsareas D.E., Giannopoulos G.I. and Anifantis N.K.(2006)., A comparative study on the failure resistance ofthe thermal barrier coatings, Computer and Structures, ,84, 1958-1964.
- Mateos J., Cuetos J.M., Vijande R. and Fernandez E.(2001)., Tribological properties of plasma sprayed andlaser re melted 75/25 Cr3C2/NiCr coatings, TribologyInternational, , 34, 345-351.
- Wang L., Wang Y., Sun X.G., He J.Q., Pan Z.Y., ZhouY. and Wu P.L. (2011)., Influence of pores on the thermalinsulation behavior of thermal barrier coatings preparedby atmospheric plasma spray, , Materials and Design, 36-47.
- Kannan Chidambaranand and Tamilporai Packirisamy(2009)., Smart Ceramic Materials for HomogeneousCombustion in Internal Combustion Engines-A Review”, ,Thermal Science, 13(3), 153-163.
- Morrell R., (1984)., Ceramics Modern Engineering”Engineering application of ceramic materials compliedby Mel M. Schwarts, Pub. American society for metal, ,The Institute of Physics, 252-261.
- Pascucci Marina R. (1983)., The Role of Ceramics inEngines an Assessment” Engineering application ofceramic materials complied by Mel M. Schwarts, , Pub.American society for metal, Battelle Columbuslaboratories, 1-6.
- Azadil M, Baloo M., Farrahi G.H. and Mirsalim S.M.(2013)., A review of thermal barrier coating effects ondiesel engine performance and components ifetime, ,International Journal of Automotive Engineering, 3(1).
- M.Ranjbar Far, J. Absi, G. Mariaux and F. Dubois,(2010)., Simulation of the effect of material properties andinterference roughness on the stress distribution inthermal barrier coating using finite element method, ,Materials and Design, 772-781.
- Shivakumar A, Maheshwar D. and Reddy K.Vijayakumar, (2011), Analysis of LHR ExtendedExpansion Engine with Variable Speed Operation forDifferent Compression Ratios, , International Journal ofAdvances of Engineering Science and Technologies,11(1), 121-128.
- Sivakumar E. and Senthil R., (2010)., ComparativeStudies on low heat rejection diesel engine onperformance and emission characteristics with differentnano ceramic thermal barrier coating.,
- Muhammet Cerit and Mehmet Coban (2014)., Temperature and thermal stress analyses of a ceramiccoatedaluminum alloy piston used in a diesel engine,International Journal of Thermal Science, , 77, 11-18.
- Shivakumar G. and Senthi Kumar S. (2014)., Investigation on effect of yttria stabilized zirconia coatedpiston crown on performance and emissioncharacteristics of a diesel engine, , Alexandria EngineeringJournal, 53, 787-794.
- Vinay Kumar D., Ravi Kumar P. and M. SantoshaKumari (2013)., Predicition of performance and emissionof a biodiesel fueled lanthanum zirconate coated directinjection diesel engine using artificial neural networks, ,Procedia Engineering 64, 993-1002.
- Dinesh Kumar J. and Sankar Harish R. (2013)., Influenceof thermal barrier coating on S.I. Engine performance,International Journal of Engineering Research andTechnology, , 2(6), 790-795.
- long Liang and Rolf D. Reitz (2006)., A G-equationcombustion model incorporating detailed chemicalkinetics for PFI/DI SI engine simulations, Sixteenthinternational multidimensional engine modeling user’sgroup meeting at the SAE congress, , April 2, Detroit,Michigan.
- Rakopoulos C.D. and Giakoumis E.G. (2004)., Validationand sensitivity analysis of a two zone diesel engine modelfor combustion and emissions prediction, , EnergyConservation and Management, 45, 417-1495.