Purification of Biogas using Chemical Scrubbing and Application of Purified Biogas as Fuel for Automotive Engines
- 1Mech. Engg. Dept., S.V.N.I.T., Surat- 395007, Gujarat, India
- 2Mech. Engg. Dept., S.V.N.I.T., Surat- 395007, Gujarat, India
- 3Biogas Research Centre, Gujarat Vidhyapeeth, Sadra, Dist. Gandhiagar, Gujarat, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (ISC-2015), Pages 1-7, -----Select----,2 (2016)
Energy has become prerequisite to represent economic development and improved quality of life for citizens of any country. Due to rapid industrialization and urbanization in last few decades, there is a huge pressure on depletable crude oil, coal and other fossil fuels. It has been also observed that use of conventional crude based petroleum fuels are affecting pollution level and their combustion products are found responsible for the global warming and climate change. So researchers are doing their research to find out green energy alternatives to reduce emission of green house gases. About 70% population of India lives in rural areas and majority of them are engaged in agriculture, animal husbandry and small scale rural industries. In agriculture there is tremendous increase in energy consumption with increased use of tractor, bore well, irrigation pumps and farm machineries etc. Using anaerobic digestion of different biomasses such as cow/cattle dung, vegetables/fruit/agriculture waste, droppings of poultry farm, industrial waste water, municipal solid e/sewerage waste etc., biogas can be produced .In rural areas cattle dung and vegetable waste whereas in cities and urban area municipal solid waste are available in abundant quantity, from which biogas can be generated. In composition of biogas methane (CH4), carbon dioxide (CO2), traces of hydrogen sulfide, and moisture is found. Biogas quality can be upgraded by removal of CO2, H2S resulting into increased methane content nearer to the natural gas. Gas obtained after removing CO2, H2S, and moisture from raw biogas is equivalent to natural gas which can be compressed for bottling in cylinders and can be used as fuel for vehicle engines. Any low cost technique to remove carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide from biogas can make biogas a techno-commercially viable fuel. In this paper results obtained during experiments on biogas purification by chemical scrubbing i)) dry lime and potassium hydroxide and ii) aqueous solution of Caustic and lime are shown. Also results of on road testing of a vehicle fuelled with purified compressed biogas are shown showing one can purify the raw biogas to convert it to bio CNG which can be used as a vehicular fuel.
- V.K. Vijay (2012)., Book on Biogas Production andSlurry Management, Narosa Publishing House, 56.
- Shyam S. Kapdi, Virendra K. Vijay, Shivanahalli K.Rajesh and Rajendra Prasad (2006)., Upgrading biogasfor utilization as a vehicle fuel, Asian Journal on Energy and Environment, 7(04), 387-393.
- Tri Ratna Bajracharya, Alok Dhungana, NirajanThapaliya and Gogan Hamal (2009)., Purification andCompression of Bogas: A Research Experience., JournalOf the institute of Engineering (Nepal) 7(1).
- B.T. Nijaguna (2012)., Book on Biogas Technology, NewAge International (P) Limited Publishers, New Delhi, 36.
- Mittal K.M. (1996)., Biogas Systems: Principles andApplications, New Age International (P) Limited, NewDelhi,
- Muche Helmut and Harald Zimmermann (1985)., ThePurification of Biogas Braunschweig, Scribd web.
- Vijay V.K. (1989)., Studies on utilization of biogas forimproved performance of dual fuel engine. M.E. (Ag.)Thesis, CTAE, Udaipur.
- Weiland P. (2010)., Biogas production: current state andperspectives, Appl Microbiol Biotechnol, 85, 849-860,
- Zicari, Steven McKinsey (2003), Removal of HydrogenSulfide From biogas Using Cow Manure Compost, Thesis, Cornell Uni.,
- Chen, Patrick, Overholt Astrid, Rutledge Brad and TomicJasna (2010)., Economic Assessment of Biogas andBiomethane Production from Manure, Calstart.
- Amirfakhri J., Vossoughi M., Soltanieh M. (2006)., Assessment of desulfurization of natural gas bychemoautotrophic bacteria in an anaerobic baffled reactor(ABR), Chem. Eng. Process. 45, 232-237.
- Vijay V.K. (2013)., Presentation on Water scrubbingbased biogas Enrichment technology by IIT-Delhipresentation during International Disseminationworkshop on Promotion of Biogas Up gradation andBottling in India and EUí August, IIT-Delhi .
- Khoiyangbam R.S., Navindu Gupta, Sushil Kumar(2013)., Book on Biogas Technology TowardsSustainable Development, The energy and resourcesinstitute
- Divyang Shah and Hemant Nagarsheth (2015)., Low costbiogas purification system for application of bio CNG asfuel for automobile engines., International Journal ofInnovative Science, Engineering and Technology, 2(5),(ISSN 2348- 7968).
- Bureau of Indian Standards (2013)., Biomethane as fuelfor Automobile Application, IS:16087.