Perceptions of Jawzjan University Engineering Graduates towards using First Language in EFL Classes
- 1Centre for Modern Languages & Human Sciences University Malaysia Pahang, Gambang, Malaysia
- 2Centre for Modern Languages & Human Sciences University Malaysia Pahang, Gambang, Malaysia
- 3Centre for Modern Languages & Human Sciences University Malaysia Pahang, Gambang, Malaysia
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (9), Pages 62-68, September,2 (2016)
This article highlights a part of the findings of the study on perception of engineering students at graduate level about the ELP (English Language Program) at Jawzjan University towards using first language in their classes. The findings discovered that participants of this program were supportive to the dominative use of L2 during the EFL classes and they were critical about the extensive usage of L1 in the same.
- Mirza M. G. H., Mahmud K. and Jabbar J. (2012)., Use of other languages in English language teaching at Tertiary Level: A case study on Bangladesh., English Language Teaching, 5(9), 71.
- Cook V. (2001)., Using the first language in the classroom., Canadian Modern Language Review, 57(3), 402-423.
- Cole S. (1998)., The use of L1 in communicative English classrooms., Language Teacher-Kyoto-Jalt-, 22, 11-14.
- Nation P. (2003)., The role of the first language in foreign language learning., Asian EFL Journal, 5(2), 1-8.
- Kellerman E. (1995)., Crosslinguistic influence: Transfer to nowhere., Annual review of applied linguistics, 15(1), 125-150.
- Kresan S. (1981)., Second Language Acquisition and Second Language Learning., Oxford, Pergamon Press.
- Clark G. (2009)., What’s wrong with the way English is taught in Japan., The Japan Times, 5.
- De La Campa J. C. and Nassaji H. (2009)., The amount, purpose, and reasons for using L1 in L2 classrooms., Foreign Language Annals, 42(4), 742-759.
- Al-Nofaie H. (2010)., The Attitudes of Teachers and Students towards using Arabic in EFL classrooms in Saudi Public Schools-A Case Study., Novitas-Royal, 4(1).
- Wilkerson C. (2008)., Instructors, Foreign Language Annals, 41(2), 310.
- Anh K. H. K. (2010)., Use of Vietnamese in English language teaching in Vietnam: Attitudes of Vietnamese university teachers., English Language Teaching, 3(2), 119.
- Krashen S. D. and Terrell T. D. (1983)., The natural approach: Language acquisition in the classroom., Eric, The Alemany Press, San Francisco.
- Polio C. G. and Duff P. A. (1994)., Teachers, The Modern Language Journal, 78(3), 313-326.
- Ellis R. (1984)., Classroom Second Language Development: A Study of Classroom Interaction and Language Acquistion., Pergamon.
- Ellis R. (1994)., The study of second language acquisition., Oxford University Press, Oxford, ISBN 0-19-437189-1.