Genotoxic Effects of Chlordecone in the Cichlid Fish, Etroplus Maculatus (Bloch, 1795) using Micronucleus Test
- 1Endocrinology and Toxicology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Calicut, Malappuram District-673 635, Kerala India
- 2Endocrinology and Toxicology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Calicut, Malappuram District-673 635, Kerala India
- 3Endocrinology and Toxicology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Calicut, Malappuram District-673 635, Kerala India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (8), Pages 16-20, August,2 (2016)
Chlordecone is an organochloride insecticide mainly used for the control of agricultural pests. The genotoxicity of chlordecone was evaluated through micronucleus test in peripheral erythrocytes of Etroplus maculatus. Chlordecone at sublethal concentration (3.5&
- U.S. EPA., IRIS Toxicological Review of Chlordecone (Kepone) (External Review Draft)., U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC, EPA/635/R-07/004.
- Asifa K.P., Balakrishnan V. and Chitra K.C. (2014)., Toxicity evaluation of chlordecone and its effect on oxidative imbalance in the cichlid fish Etroplus maculatus (Bloch)., Int J Zoo Res., 4, 1-20.
- Gaume B., Dodet N., Thome J.P. and Lemoine S. (2015)., Expression of biotransformation and oxidative stress genes in the giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii exposed to chlordecone., Environ Sci Pollut Res., 22, 7991-8002.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). (1995)., Toxicological profile for Mirex and Chlordecone., Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service.
- Al-Sabti K. and Metcalfe C.D. (1995)., Fish micronuclei for assessing genotoxicity in water., Mutat Res., 343, 121-135.
- Fenech M., Chang W.P., Kirsch-Volders M., Holland N. and Zeigere B.S. (2003)., HUMAN project: detailed description of the scoring criteria for the cytokinesis-block micronucleus assay using isolated human lymphocyte cultures., Mutation Research/Genetic Toxicology and Environmental Mutagenesis, 534(1-2), 65-75.
- Heddle J.A. and Salmone M.F. (1981)., Chromosomal aberrations and bone marrow toxicity., Environ Health Perspect., 39, 23-27.
- Bolognesi C. and Hayashi M. (2011)., Micronucleus assay in aquatic animals., Mutagenesis, 26, 205-221.
- APHA (1998)., Standard methods for the examination of water and waste water., 20th Edition, Washington, DC.
- Asifa K.P. and Chitra K.C. (2015)., Evaluation of LC50 and behavioural responses of bisphenol A in the cichlid fish Etroplus maculatus., Int J Current Res., 7, 16725-16729.
- Heddle J.A. (1973)., A rapid in vivo test for chromosomal damage., Mutat Res., 18, 187-192.
- Schmid W. (1975)., The micronucleus test., Mutat Res., 31, 9-15.
- Carrasco K.R., Tilbury K.L. and Myers M.S. (1990)., Assessment of the piscine micronucleus test as in situ biological indicator of chemical contaminant effects., Canadian J Fish Aquatic Sci., 47, 2123-2136.
- Ikegwuonu F.I. and Mehendale H.M. (1991)., Biochemical assessment of the genotoxicity of the in vitro interaction between chlordecone and carbon tetrachloride in rat hepatocytes., J Appl Toxicol., 11, 303-310.
- Smith M.T. (1996)., The Mechanism of Benzene-Induced Leukemia: A hypothesis and speculations on the causes of leukemia., Environ Health Perspect., 104(6), 1219-1225.
- Hayashi M., Ueda T., Uyeno K., Wada K., Kinae N., Saotome K., Tanaka N., Takai A., Sasaki Y.F., Asano N., Sofuni T. and Ojima Y. (1998)., Development of genotoxicity assay systems that use aquatic organisms., Mutat Res., 399, 125-133.
- Minissi S., Ciccotti E. and Rizzoni M. (1996)., Micronucleus test in erythrocytes of Barbus plebejus (Teleostei, pisces) from two natural environments: A Bioassay for the in situ detection of mutagens in freshwater., Mutat Res., 367, 245-251.