Synthesis, Characterization and Biological Studies of a new Cu(II) Complex Derived from 9-Anthraldehyde and 2-Aminopyridine
- 1Department of Chemistry, University College, Trivandrum, Kerala - 695034, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (7), Pages 41-43, July,2 (2016)
In the present study Schiff base and Cu (II) complex have been synthesized and reported. The Schiff base is prepared by condensing 2-aminopyridine and 9-anthraldehyde. The complex was synthesized by reaction of CuCl2.2H2O with Schiff base. These compounds have been characterized byelemental analysis, magnetic measurement, molar conductance, FT-IR, UV-Vis spectra, 1H NMR, electronic, mass and ESR spectroscopic studies. Analytical data suggests the molecular formula [Cu(L)2Cl2] for Cu(II) complex. The IR spectral data suggest that Schiff base acts as a neutral monodentate ligand towards Cu(II) in its complex. The electronic spectral data and magnetic moment value agree with the tetrahedral geometry for the complex. The Schiff base and complex were screened for antibacterial and antifungal studies. The Cu(II) complex exhibit increased antimicrobial activity than Schiff base.
- Hao Y., Yong Y., Qiaoyu L., Tieliang M., Jun X., Taofeng Z., Jing X., Wenjiao Z., Zhihong C., Kun D., Jiancui H. and Lei J. (2016)., Ternary Dinuclear Copper(II) Complexes of a Reduced Schiff Base Ligand with Diimine Coligands: DNA Binding, Cytotoxic Cell Apoptosis, and Apoptotic Mechanism., Chemical Biology & Drug Design, 87(3), 398–408.
- Sondhi S.M., Dinodia M. and Kumar A. (2006)., Synthesis, anti-inflammatory and analgesic activity evaluation of some amidine and hydrazone derivatives., Bioorg. Med Chem., 14, 4657-63.
- Sousa C., Freire C. and de Castro B. (2003)., Synthesis and Characterization of Benzo-15-Crown-5 Ethers with Appended N2O Schiff Bases., Molecules, 8(12), 894-900.
- Yildirm L.T. and Atakol O. (2002)., Synthesis, Characterization and Spectroscopic Studies of A Novel 2-[(E)-[(2,4-dichlorophenyl)imino]methyl]phenol Schiff Base and Its Metal Complexes., Cryst. Res. Technol., 37(12), 1352.
- Pui A. (2002)., Binding of molecular dioxygen to the Cobalt (II) complexes in nonaqueous solution., Croat.Chem. Acta., 75(1), 165-173.
- Spinu C. and Kriza A. (2000)., Co(II), Ni(II) and Cu(II) Complexes of Bidentate Schiff Bases., Acta Chim. Slov., 47, 179-185.
- Bellam S., Muthalagu V., Fei Z., Song G. and Jagadese J.V. (2005)., Copper (II) Complexes of Schiff-Base and Reduced Schiff-Base Ligands: Influence of Weakly Coordinating Sulfonate Groups on the Structure and Oxidation of 3,5-DTBC., European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry,. 22, 4635–4645.
- Hajar S., Shahriare G., Kheyrollah M. and Farshid S. (2010)., Novel mercury (II) complexes of Schiff base ligands: Synthesis and spectral characterization., Der Chemica Sinica., 1(1), 39-44.
- Geary W.J. (1971)., The use of conductivity measurements in organic solvent for characterization of coordination compounds., Coord. Chem. Rev., 7, 81-122
- Muthu T.M., Mereiter K., Kirchner K., Bhat B.R. and Karrembu R. (2009)., Synthesis, crystal structures and spectral studies of square planar nickel (II) complexes containing an ONS donor Schiff base and triphenylphosphine., Polyhedron, 28, 2157.
- Lever A.B.P. (1984)., Inorganic Electronic Spectroscopy., 2nded, Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Burton L.W., Morgan L.O., Carlin R.L. and Marcel D. (1968)., Transition metal chemistry., (Ed.), New York, 4.
- Abdalla M.K. and Hadi M.M. (2012)., Synthesis, Spectral, Thermal Analyses and Molecular Modeling of Bioactive Cu(II)-complexes with 1,3,4-thiadiazole Schiff Base Derivatives. Their Catalytic Effect on the Cathodic Reduction of Oxygen., Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 7, 10074-10093.
- Narang K.K. and Singh V.P. (1993)., Synthesis, Characterization, Thermal Studies and Biological Activity of Iron(III) Complexes with some Acylhydrazines., Synth. React. Inorg. Met.Org. Chem., 23, 971.
- Jugal K.P. and Rajni C. (2013)., Synthesis and Characterization of Metal Tribromoacetates and Their Alkali Metal Derivatives., Journal of Chemistry, 2013, 392310.
- Elena P., Diana-Carolina I., Sergiu S., Codruța P., Mihaela B., Aurelian G. and Tudor R. (2015)., Synthesis, Characterization, Crystal Structure and Antimicrobial Activity of Copper(II) Complexes with the Schiff Base Derived from 2-Hydroxy-4-Methoxybenzaldehyde., Molecules, 20, 5771-5792.