Toxic impacts of Leaf extract of Clerodendrum infortunatum on the Ultrastructure of the Midgut epithelium of sixth instar larvae of Orthaga exvinacea Hampson
- 1Department of Zoology, Malabar Christian College, Affiliated to the University of Calicut, Calicut, Kerala, India
- 2Department of Neuropathology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore, Karnataka, India
- 3Department of Neuropathology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (6), Pages 59-67, June,2 (2016)
The effect of methanolic leaf extract of Clerodendrum infortunatum on the ultrastructure of the midgut of sixth instar larvae of Orthaga exvinacea were evaluated under laboratory condition. Among five different concentrations of botanicals tested, one was selected for ultrastructural study. The effect of botanical showed drastic changes in ultrastructure of the midgut epithelium, mainly consisting of separation of myofibrils in muscle layer, vacuolization and elongation of columnar cells, detachment of epithelial cells from the basement membrane, loss of microvilli in both inside the goblet cells and apical portion of columnar cells and the changes in the shape of mitochondria and columnar cell nucleus. Since these changes may lead to serious digestive and metabolic disorders, thereby affecting the growth of the larvae, this botanical can be used for the management of this pest.
- Verghes E.A. (1998)., Management of mango leaf webber., A vital package for panicle emergence. Insect Environment., 4(3), 7.
- Singh R., Lakhanpal S.C. and Karkara B.K. (2006)., Incidence of mango leaf webber, Orthaga euadrusalis (Hampson) in high density plantation of mango at Dhaulakhan in Himachal Pradesh., Insect Environment, 11, 178-179.
- Kavitha K., Lakshmi K.V. and Anitha V. (2005)., Mango leaf webber Orthaga euadrusalis Walker (Pyralidae : Lepidoptera) in Andhra Pradesh., Insect Environment, 11(1), 39-40.
- Isman M.B. (2006)., Botanical insecticides, deterrents, and repellents in modern agriculture and an increasingly regulated world., Annual Review of Entomology., 51, 45-66.
- Sadek M.M. (2003)., Antifeedant and toxic activity of Adhatoda vasica leaf extract against Spodoptera littoralis (Lep.,Noctuidae)., Journal of Applied Entomology., 27, 396- 404.
- Caramori S.A., Lima C.S. and Fernandes K.F. (2004)., Biochemical characterization of selected plant species from Brazilian savannas., Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology., 47(2), 256-259.
- Solsoloy A.D and Solsoloy J.S. (1995)., A safe and effective pesticide., ILEIA News letter., 11(4), 31.
- Talukadar F.A and Howse P.E. (1995)., Evaluation of Aphanamixis polystachya as a source of repellants, antifeedants, toxicants and protectant in storage against Tribolium castaneum (Herbst)., Journal of Stored Products Research, 31, 55-61.
- Mordue A.J and Blackwell A. (1993)., Azadirachtin: an update., Journal of Insect Physiology., 39(11), 903-924.
- Muthukrishnan J and Pushpalatha E. (2001),, Effects of plant extracts on fecundity and fertility of mosquitoes., Journal of Applied Entomology, 125, 31-35.
- Ahmed S.M., Chander H and Pereira J. (1981)., Insecticidal potential and biological activity of Indian indigenous plants against Musca domestica., Insect Pest Control, 23, 170-172.
- Roy Choudhary N. (1994)., Antifeedant and insecticidal activities of Clerodendrum species against rice weevil., Journal of Applied Zoological Research, 5(1), 13- 16.
- Chandrika Mohan and Nair C.P.R. (2000)., Effect of Clerodendron infortunatum on grubs of coconut rhinoceros beetle, Oryctes rhinoceros L., In: Recent Advances in Plantation Crops Research (Muralidharan, N. and Rajkumar, R. eds.), 297-299 PP.
- Sreelatha K.B and Geetha P.R. (2010)., Disruption of oocyte development and vitellogenesis in Oryctes rhinoceros treated with methanolic extract of Eupatorium odoratum leaves., Journal of Biopesticides., 3(1), 253-258.
- Somnath Roy, Ananda Mukhopadhyay and Gurusubramanian G. (2009)., Antifeedant and insecticidal activity of Clerodendrum infortunatum Gaertn. (Verbinaceae) extract on tea mosquito bug, Helopeltis theivora Waterhouse (Heteroptera: Miridae)., Research on Crops, 10(1), 152-158.
- Rocha L.L.V., Neves C.A., Zanuncio J.C. and Serrão J.É. (2010)., Digestive cells in the midgut of Triatoma vitticeps (Stal 859) in different starvation periods., Comptes Rendus Biologies., 333, 405–415.
- Emara A.G and Assar (2001)., Biological and Histopathology activity of some plant extracts against the cotton leaf worm, Spodoptera littoralis (Boised) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae)., Journal of Egyptian German Society for Zoology, 35, 1-25.
- Sayed M. Rawi., Fayey A. Bkry and Mansour A. Al-Hazmi. (2011)., Biochemical and histopathological effect of crude extracts on Spodoptera littoralis larvae., Journal of evolutionary biology research, 3(5), 67-68.
- Salkeld E.H. (1951)., A toxicological study of certain new insecticides as “Stomach poisons” to the honey bee Apis mellifera., Journal of Canadian Entomology, 8339-8361.
- Lummen P. (1998)., Complex I inhibitors as insecticides and acaricides., Biochemica et Biophysica Acta., 1364, 287–296.
- Takada M., Kuwabara K., Nakato H., Tanaka A., Iwamura H. and Miyoshi H. (2000)., Definition of crucial structural factors of acetogenins, potent inhibitors of mitochondrial complex I., Biochima et Biophysica Acta., 1460, 302–310.
- Jing L., Fang Y., Ying X., Wenxing H., Meng X., Syed M.N. and Fang C. (2005)., Toxic impact of ingested Jatropherol-I on selected enzymatic activities and the ultrastructure of midgut cells in silkworm., Bombyx mori L. Journal of Applied Entomology, 129(2), 98–104.