Biochemical Analysis of Lipids and Proteins in three Freshwater Teleosts (Clarias batrachus, Channa punctatus, Anabas testudineus)
- 1P.G. Dept of Zoology, Berhampur University-760007, Odisha, India
- 2P.G. Dept of Zoology, Berhampur University-760007, Odisha, India
- 3P.G. Dept of Zoology, Utkal University-751004, Odisha, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (6), Pages 24-33, June,2 (2016)
The study deals with the separation and estimation of protein and lipids in different tissues like liver, pancreases, gills and muscles of Clarias batrachus, Channa punctatus and Anabas testudineus. The protein and lipid contents were measured in the three species irrespective of their sex and sizes. The annual mean of protein content in liver was found to be 13.92± 2.326, 11.87 ± 0.811, 10.25± 0.52 and in pancreases 11.4±10.794 ,10.63 ± 0.494, 8.85± 0.67 gms per 100 grams of tissues in Clarias batrachus, Channa punctatus and Anabas testudineus respectively. It was also observed that the proximate composition of fish depends mostly on season, size, age, sex, reproductive cycle as well as breeding season. Similarly, the mean protein in muscle and gills was estimated to be 19.49 ± 0.732, 17.50 ± 0.865, 18.22 ± 0.931 and 6.079± 2.472, 14.779± 1.084, 7.80 ± 0.596 respectively among the above species. Lipids content was more in liver and muscles. The mean lipids of liver and muscle were 1.08 ± 0.460 , 1.10 ± 0.118, 0.88 ± 0.462 and 1.46 ± 0.262,1.44± 0.39 , 1.19 ± 0.27 respectively among the three species. Comparatively less quantity of lipids are estimated in the pancreases and gills. The mean lipids content of pancreases and gills was found to be 0.789 ± 0.371 ,1.23 ± 0.484 , 1.06 ± 0.298 and 0.81 ± 0.109 , 0.67 ± 0.192 , 1.04 ± 0.328 respectively. All biochemical parameters differ significantly (P<0.001) among the three species under investigation.
- Moghaddam H.N., Mesgaran M.D., Najafabadi H.J. and Najafabadi R.J. (2007)., Determination of chemical composition, mineral content and protein quality of Iranian Kilka fish meal., Int. J. Poult. Sci., 6, 354-361.
- Aberoumad A. and Pourshafi K.(2010)., Chemical and proximate composition properties in different fish species obtained from Iran., World J. Fish mar. Sci., 2, 237-239.
- Shamsan E.F. and Ansari Z.A. (2010)., Biochemical composition and caloric content in sand whiting Sillago sihama(Forsskal) from Zuari Estuary, Goa., Indian J. Fish., 57:61-64.
- Andrew A.E (2001)., Fish processing Technology., University of Horin press. Nigeria, 7-8.
- Eyo J.E., Ozougwu J.C. and Echi P.C. (2011)., Hypoglycaemic effects of Allium cepa, Allium sativam and Zingaber officinate aqueous extracts on alloxan-induced diabetic Rattus novergicus., Medical Journal of Islamic World Academy of Sciences, 19(3), 123-129.
- Hossain M.K., Latifa G.A. and Rahman M.M. (2008)., Observation on induced breeding of snakehead murrel, Channa striatus (Bloch, 1973)., Int. J. Sustain. Crop. Prod. 3, 65-68.
- Vijayavel K., Gomathi R.D., Durgabhavani K. and Balasubramanian M.P. (2004)., Sublethal effect of naphthalene on lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in the edible marine crab Scylla serrata., Mar. Poll. Bull., 48(5-6), 429-433.
- Prashanth M.S., David M. and Mathed S.G. (2005)., Behavioural changes in freshwater fish C.mrigala (Hamilton) exposed to cypermethrin., J. Environ. Biol., 26, 141-144.
- Lowry O.H., Rosebrough N.J., Farr A.L. and Randall R.J. (1951)., Protein estimation with Folin Phenol reagent., J. Biol. Chem., 193, 265-275.
- Folch J, Lees M and Sladane-Stanley GHA (1957)., A simple method of the isolation and purification of total lipid from animal tissues, J. Biol. Chem., 226, 497-509.
- Barnes H. and Blackstock Z.J (1973)., Estimation of lipids in marine animals and tissue. Detailed investigation of the phosphovanilin method for total lipids., Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 12, 307-316.
- Fanta E.F., Rios S., Romao A.C., Vianna C. and Freiberger S. (2003)., Histopathology of the fish Corydoras paleatus contaminated with sublethal levels of organophosphorus in water and food., Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 54, 119-130.
- Ferrari A. Venturino A. and Pechen de Angelo A.M., (2007)., Effect of carbyle and azinphos methyl on juvenile rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) detoxifying enzymes., Pest Biochem.physico., 88(2), 134-142.
- Yang J. and Chen H. (2003)., Serum metabolic enzyme activities and hepatocyte ultrastructure of common carp after gallium exposure., Zoological Studies, 42(3), 455-461.
- Jindal M. (2008)., Studies on protein requirements of catfish Clarias Batrachus fingerlings for sustainable agriculture. In: National seminar on Technical advances in environment management and applied zoology., Jan. 23-25, Department of Zoology, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, 59-62.
- Jindal M., Garg S.K. and Yadava N.K. (2008a)., Effect of feeding dietary protein sources on daily excretion in Channa Punctatus for sustainable agriculture., Advances in Aquatic Ecology, 21 (in press).
- Pal Himadri and Chakrabarty Debajyoti (2010)., Evaluation of growth performance of walking catfish (Clarias batrachus) using low cost fish feed., IJPBS. 2, 288-297.
- Konar V. Canpolast A. and Yilmaz O. (1999)., Influence of chronic morphine exposure on serum LH, FSH, testosterone levels, and body and testicular weights in the developing male rat., Trop .j Bio, 23(3), 319-331.
- Gill H.S. and Weatherly A.H. (1984)., Protein, Lipid and calorie contain of blunt nose minnow, Pimephales notatus rafinosque, during growth at different temperatures., J .Fish. Biol, 25, 491-500.
- Dutta H., Das A.B. and Farkas T. (1985)., Role of environmental temperature in seasonal changes in fatty acid composition of hepatic lipid in air breathing Indian Teleost, Channa punctatus (Bloch), Comp. Biochem. Physiol., 81(B), 341-347.
- Zden EN (2007)., Comparison of biochemical composition of three agriculture fishes (Dicentrachus labrax, Sparus aurata, Dentex dentex), Int. J. Food Sci. Nutr. DOI. 10. 10 80 109 637 480 701 400 729.
- Zuraini A., Somchit M.H., Goh Y. and Arifah A.K. (2006)., Fatty acid and amino acid composition of three local Malaysian Channa punctatus spp fish., Food Chem. 97(4), 674-678.
- Tripathy G., H. Singh and Shasmal J. (2006)., Effect of cypermethrin on protein content of gill, heart and kidney of a catfish Clarias batrachus., Biochem. Cell. Arch., 6, 123-127.
- Singh C.P., Ram R.N., Mohd. Danish and Anup Kumar (2012)., Biochemical modulation in male specimens of Channa punctatus (Bloch) under different habitats seasons., African Journal of Biotechnology, 11(97), 16365-16376.
- Tripathy G. and H. Singh (2013)., Impact of alphamethrin on biochemical parameters of Channa punctatus., JEB, 34, 227-230.
- Kawade S.J. and Khillare Y.K. (2012)., Toxicity of chromium on glycogen content of certain tissues of freshwater fish, Channa gachua (Ham)., J. Recent Trends Bio sci., 2(1), 29-37, 2012.
- Chezhian A., Kabilan N., Kumar S.T., Senthamilselvan D. and Sivakumari K. (2010)., Impact of common mixed Effluent of spicot industrial Estate on histopathological and biochemical changes in Estuarine fish Lates calcarifer., Curr Research J of Boil. Sciences. 2(3), 201-209
- Gilbert L.1. and O, Lipid Metabolism and Transport in Arthropods., In: Chemical Zoology, Vol. V., M. Florkin and B.T. Scheer (Eds); New York, Academic Press, 229-254.
- Katti S.R. and A.G. Sathyanesan (1983)., Lead nitrate induced changes in lipid and cholesterol levels in the freshwater fish Clarias batrachus., Toxicol. Lett., 19, 93-96.
- Osibona A.O., Kusemiju K. and Akande G.R. (2006)., Proximate composition and fatty acids profile of the African catfish Clarias, gariepinus .acta SATECH, 3(1) :in press .
- Ackman R.G. (1980)., Fish lipids. Part I In: Advances in Fish Sciences and Technology, edited by JJ Connel, Fishing News (Books) Ltd. England: 111.,
- Henderson R.J. and Tocher D.R. (1987)., The lipid composition and biochemistry of freshwater fish., Progress in lipid Research, 26, 281-347.
- Klinger R.C. and Blazer V.S. Echevarria C. (1996)., Effect of dietary lipid on the hematology of channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus., Aquaculture, 147, 225-333.