Cluster, Consumers and Producers who care about Origin Labeling
- 1Agribusiness Departement, Faculty of Agriculture, Padjadjaran University, Indonesia
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (6), Pages 13-23, June,2 (2016)
Gedong Gincu mango (Mangifera indica var. Gedong) becomes the backbone of Indonesian fruit exports because of its unique taste, shape, color, and rich aroma. Mango producers want to sell their products at high price while consumers in the opposite side. Origin label can bridge this because it gives guarantee to the consumers that the product is of high quality. The problem in this study is not all producers and consumers care about the origin label. Identification of the problem is (1) the producer or consumer groups who care about the origin label, (2) what dominant factors encourage producers and consumers to care about origin labeling the label from the area and (3) what kind of social engineering for the origin label to be accepted by producers and consumers. The research aims to map the target and market segments of the labeled Gedong Gincu, so that it is more efficient for distribution marketing. If distribution marketing is efficient, producers and consumers will be benefited. The research was conducted from May to October 2013, and survey with 460 respondents consisting of 260 producers and 200 consumers with simple random sampling (producers) and systematic random sampling (consumers). Data were analyzed by using a cluster analysis and followed by logistic regression. The results are expected to provide the government with information that will help make policies that are beneficial for producer, market agent, mango exporters, the private sector, as well as for consumers.
- Statistics Indonesia, (2012)., Exsport and Import,
- Statistics Indonesia (2012)., No. 36/08/32/th XIV, 1 Agustus (2012),
- Golam E.F., Kuchler L., Mitchell C. Greene and Jessup A. (2000)., Economics of Food labeling., Academic Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. Agriculture Economics Report no. 793. Greene, W.H. 1998. Limpdep. Version 7.0 Plainview, N.Y. Economics Software. Inc
- Haucap J.C., Wey and Barmbold J.F. (1977)., Location Choice as Signal for Product Quality., The Economica of Made in Germani. Journal Institution and Theoritical Economics. 153(5) 10-31.
- Tonsor G.T., Lusk J.L., Schroeder T.C. and Taylor M.R. (2012)., Mandatory Country of Origin labeling: Consumer Demand Impact., K. State Dept. Of Agricultural Economics (Publication: AM-GTT-2012)
- Balderjahn I. (1998)., Personality Variables and Environmental Attitudes as Predictors of Ecologically Responsible Consumption Patterns., Journal of Business Research, 17, 51-56.
- Hu W., Adamowicz W.L. and Veeman M.M. (2006)., Labelling Context and Reference Point Effect in Models of Food Attribute Demand., American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 88,4, 1034–49.
- DC Pinto, WM Nique, ES Añaña, MM Herter (2011), Green Consumer Values: How Do Personal Value Influence Environmentally Responsible Water Consumption?., International Journal of Consumer Studies, 35(2011), 122-131
- Morrison D.F. (1998)., Multivariate Statistical Methods., McGraw-Hill Book Company
- Hayes D.J. and Meyer S.R. (2008)., Impact of Country of Origin Labeling on US. Pork Exports., White paper Dept. Of Econ. Iowa State University, USA.
- Barham Elizabeth (2002)., Towards a Theory of Values- based labeling., Agriculture and Human Values. 19, 349- 360.
- Rumley Elizabeth (2008)., Food Labeling for Speciality Crop Producers., The Natural Agricultural Law Center. University Arkansas. Division of Agriculture.
- Granzin K.L. and Olsen J.E. (1998)., Americans’s Choice of Domestic over Foreign Products: A Matter of Helping Behavior?., Journal of Business, 43, 39- 54
- Hayes D.J. and Meyer S.R. (2008)., Impact of Country of Origin Labeling on US., Pork Exports. White paper Dept. Of Econ. Iowa State University, USA
- Van Kleef E., Van Trijp H., Paeps F. and Fernandez C.L. (2008)., Consumers Preferences for Front - of - Pack Calories Labeling., Public Health Nutrition, 11, 203-2013
- Fourtier Susan. (1998)., Consumers and Their Brands: Developing Relationship Theory in Consumer Research., Journal of Consumer Research, 24 (March), 343 – 73
Malam S., Clegg S., Kirwin S. and McGinigal S. (2009)., Comprehension and Use of UK Nutrition Signpost Labelling Schemes. Inited Kingdom: BMRB Social Research,
. Retrieved October 2014. From
- Muniz. Albert M. Jr. and Thomas C.O. (2001)., Brand Community., Journal of Consumer Reserach, 27 (March), 412-32
- Purnama Sarma and Najib (2014)., The Enhancement Strategies for Indonesian Mango Marketing in International Market., J.Horti., 24(1), 85–93, 2014.
- Ulgado and Lee. (1998)., The Korean Versus American marketplace: Consumer Reactions to Foreign Products., Psychology and Marketing. 15(6), 595 – 614
- Verlegh P.W.J and Steenkamp L.B.E.M. (1999)., A Review and Meta- Analysis of Counry of Origin Research., Journal of Economics Psychology, 20, 521–546
- Grandkvist G., Dahlstrand U. and Biel A. (2004)., The Impact of Environmental Labeling on Consumer Preference: Negative versus Positive Labels., Journal of Consumer Policy, 27, 213- 230
- Laroche M., Toffoli R., Kim C. and Muller T.E. (2001)., The Influence of Culture on Pro- Environmental Knowledge, Attitudes and Behavior: A Canadian Persfective., Advances in Consumer Research, 23, 1996–202
- Loureiro M.L and Lotade J. (2005)., Do Fair Trade an Eco Labels in Coffee Wake Up the Consumer Coinscience?., Ecological Economics, 53(1), 129–138
- Namita R., Kesharwani S. and Khanna A. (2012)., Consumer’s Attitude towards Branded Apparels: Gender Perspective., International Journal of Marketing Studies, 4(2).
- Ramanakumar K.P.V., Manojkrisnan C.G. and Suma S.R. (2012)., Consumer Attitude towards Green Products of FMCG Sector: an Empirical Study., International Journal of Research in Commerce and Management. 3(2), 34 -38.
- D’Souza C., Taghian M. and Khosia R. (2007)., Examination of Environmental Beliefs and Its Impact on the Influence of Price, Quality and Demographic Characteristics with Respect to Green Purchase Intention, Journal of Targeting. Measurement and Analysis for Marketing, 15, 69–78.
- Laroche M., Toffoli R., Kim C. and Muller T.E. (2001)., The Influence of Culture on Pro- Environmental Knowledge, Attitudes and Behavior: A Canadian Persfective., Advances in Consumer Research, 23, 1996–202.
- Lee E.A. (2008)., Australian Consumers’ Food Related Environmental Beliefs and Behaviours., Appetite. 26, 87-96.
- Bahram K. and Nakhaei A. (2012)., Consumers’ Green Purchase Decision: an Examination of environmental Reliefs, Environmental Literacy and Demographics., International Journal of Marketing and Technology, 2(9).
- Robert J.A. (1996)., Green Consumers in the 1990s: Profile and Implication for Advertising., Journal of Business Research, 36. 217–231.
- Kim H.Y. and Chung J.E. (2011)., Consumer Purchase Intention for Organic Personal Care Products., Journal of Consumer Marketing, 28, 40-47.
- Barham Elizabeth (2002)., Towards a Theory of Values- based labeling., Agriculture and Human Values. 19, 349-360.
- Purohit D. and Srivastava J. (2001)., Effect of Manufacturer Reputation, Retailer Reputation and Product Warranty on Consumer Judgments of Product Quality: A Cue Diagnosticity Framework., Journal of Consumer Psychology, 10(3), 123-134
- Deliana Yosini., Sri Fatimah Anne Charina, (2014)., Product Origin Labeling and Consumer Willingness to Pay., Research Journal of Recent Sciences, 3(IVC-2014), 116–121.