Determinants that Affect the Profitability of Non-Life Insurance Companies: Evidence from Pakistan
- 1Department of Management Sciences, COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Lahore, Pakistan
- 2Institute of Social and Cultural Studies, Punjab University, Lahore, Pakistan
- 3COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Lahore Pakistan
- 4COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Lahore Pakistan
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (4), Pages 6-11, April,2 (2016)
The profitability of any organization for a specific time can be considered as the ultimate result of its investing, operating and financing activities. This research paper studies how the profitability of non-life insurance companies in Pakistan is prejudiced by working capital management, other firm’s specific variables coupled with the macroeconomic variables like Inflation and GDP. The results are generated by running balance panel data on Eviews6.The current ratio is taken as demonstrative of working capital management. The results show that current ratio, premium growth and firm size are the key factors in determining the profitability of the firms. The results also show that ROA and ROE of the firms are not influenced by the same variables. The macroeconomic variables also proved significant in determining the profitability of the firms
- Abid F. and Mseddi S. (2004)., The impact of operating and financial leverages and intrinsic business risk of firm value., International Conference AFFI 2004 at Cergy-Ponthoise.
- Naveed A., Zulfqar A. and Usman A. (2011)., Determinants of performance: A case of life insurance sector of Pakistan., International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, 61(1), 123-128.
- Samiloglo F. and Dermirgunes K. (2008)., The effect of working capital management on firm profitability: evidence from Turkey., Int J Appl Econ Financ, 2(1), 44–50.
- Singhania M., Sharma N. and Rohit J. (2014)., Working capital management and profitability: evidence from indian manufacturing industries., undefined
- Monica S. Navendu and S. Yagnesh R. (2014)., Working capital management and profitability: evidence from Indian manufacturing companies., 41(3), 313-326.
- Gartchie J.G., Samue G.G. and Richard K.A. (2013)., Degree of Financial and Operating Leverage and Profitability of Insurance Firms in Ghana., International Business and Management, 7(2), 57-65.
- Abor J. (2008)., Determinants of the capital structure of Ghanaian firms., African Economic Research consortium, Research paper No. 176, Nairobi.
- Smith (1980)., Profitability versus liquidity tradeoffs in working capital management, in readings on the management of Working Capital., West Publishing Company, New York, St.
- Abuzar and Eljelly (2004)., A.M. Liquidity—profitability trade off: An empirical investigation in an emerging market., Int J Commer Manag. 14(2), 48–61.
- Zubairi J.H. (2013)., Impact of working capital management and capital structure on profitability of automobile firms in Pakistan., undefined
- McGuire et al. (1998)., Corporate social responsibility and firm financial performance., Acad Manag J, 31(4), 854–872.
- Paquette L.R. (2005)., Growth rates as measures of financial performance., J Account Educ. 23(1), 67–78.
- Huselid M.A. (1995)., The impact of human resource management practices on turnover, productivity, and corporate ﬁnancial performance., Acad Manag J, 38(3), 635–672.
- Deloof M. (2003)., Does working capital management affect profitability of Belgian firms?, J Bus Financ Account. 30(3–4), 573–588.
- Tryfonidis L.I. (2006)., Relationship between working capital management and profitability of listed companies in the Athens stock exchange., J Financ Manag Anal, 19(1), 26–35.
- Nasr M. and Raheman A. (2007)., Working capital management and profitability–case of Pakistani firms., Int Rev Bus Res Pap, 31, 279–300.
- Afza T. and Nazir M. (2009)., Impact of aggressive working capital management policy on firms’ profitability., IUP J ApplFinanc., 15(8), 19–30.
- Raheman A. and Afza T. (2010)., Working capital management and corporate performance of manufacturing sector in Pakistan., Int Res J Financ Econ. 47(Issue), 151–164.
- Singh J.P. and Pandey S. (2008)., Impact of working capital management in the profitability of hindalco industries limited (CFA)., Univ J Financ Econ, 6(4), 62–72.
- Zariyawati M., Annuar M., Tauﬁq H. and Abdul Rahim A. (2009)., Working capital management and corporate performance: case of Malaysia., J Mod Account Audit, 5(11), 47–54.
- Saad N. and Mohamad N. (2010)., Working capital management: the effect of market valuation and proﬁtability in Malaysia., Int J Bus Manag, 5(11), 140–147.
- DEN Mehmet, O Eda (2009)., Relationship between efficiency level of working capital management and return on total assets in Ise., Int J Bus Manag, 4(10), 109–114.
- Uyar A. (2009)., The relationship of cash conversion cycle with firm size and profitability: an empirical investigation in Turkey., Int Res J Financ Econ, 24.
- Shin H. and Soenen L. (1998)., Efficiency of working capital management and corporate profitability., Financ Pract Educ, 8(2), 37–45.
- Asutay M. and Izhar H. (2007)., Estimating the Profitability of Islamic Banking: Evidence from Bank Muamalat Indonesia., Review of Islamic Economics, 11 (2), 17-29.
- Srairi S.A. (2009)., Factors Influencing the Profitability of Conventional and Islamic Commercial Banks in GCC Countries., Review of Islamic Economics, 13 (1), 5-30.
- Sufian F. and Habibullah M. (2009)., Bank Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Bank Profitability: Empirical Evidence from the China Banking Sector., Frontiers of Economics in China, 4(2), 274-291.
- Naceur S.B. (2003)., The Determinants of the Tunisian Baning Industry Profitability: Panel Evidence., University Libre de Tunis Working Paper.
- Athanasoglou P.P., Brissmis S.N. and Delis M.D. (2005)., Bank Specific, Industry-specific and Macroecnomic Determinants of Bank Profitability., Working Paper, Bank of Greece.
- Garcı´a-Teruel P.J. and Martı ´nez-Solano P. (2007)., Effects of working capital management on SME proﬁtability., Int J Manag Financ, 3(2), 164–177.
- Myers S.C. (1984)., The capital structure puzzle., Journal of Finance, 39(1), 575-592.
- Bashir A. (2000)., Determinants of Profitability and Rates of Return Margins in Islamic Banks: Some Evidence from Middle East., Paper presented at ERF’s Seventh Annual Conference, 26-29 October 2000, Amman, Jordan.
- Wasiuzzaman S. and Tarmizi H.A. (2010)., Profitability of Islamic Banks in Malaysia: An Empirical Analysis., Journal of Islamic Economics, Banking and Finance, 6(4), 51-68.
- Revell J.R.S. (1980)., Costs and Margins in Banking: An International Survey., Paris: Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development.
- Bourke P. (1989)., Concentration and Other Determinants of Bank Profitability in Europe, North America and Australia., Journal of Banking and Finance, 13(1), 65-79.
- Molyneux P. and Thornton J. (1992)., Determinants of European Bank Profitability: A Note., Journal of Banking and Finance, 16(6), 1173-1178.