Morpho-physiological and Yield responses of Black gram (Vignamungo L.) and Green gram (Vigna radiata L.) genotypes under Drought at different Growth stages
- 1Department of Environmental Science, Tezpur University, Napaam, Tezpur-784028, Assam, Indian
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (2), Pages 43-50, February,2 (2016)
This study was carried out to evaluate the response pattern of black gram (Vignamungo L.) and green gram (Vigna radiate L.) genotypes under water drought stress imposed at vegetative, early reproductive and pod filling stages on the basis of morpho-physiological traits and yield. Four commonly grown genotypes- T9, KU 301 (black gram) and Pratap, SG 21-5 (green gram) were arranged in randomized block design with three replications. Drought stress was found to have significant inhibitory impact on all the studied traits. Positive correlation of seed yield was obtained with relative leaf water content, plant height, leaf number, leaf area and shoot: root biomass. Early reproductive stage was proved to be the most critical for drought stress as it greatly reduced seed yield (T9-31.28%, KU 301- 48.52%, Pratap-37.12%, SG 21-5- 56.98%). Among the studied genotypes, T9 and Pratap were identified as drought tolerant with higher values of DTI, RP, MP and HI.
- Zhu Q. (2002) Salt and drought stress signal transduction in plants. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol., 53, 247–273.
- Chaves M.M., Pereira J.S., Maroco J., Rodriguez M.L., Ricardo C.P.P., Osorio M.L., Carvalho I., Faria T. and Pinheiro C. (2002) How plants cope with water stress in the field photosynthesis and growth? Ann. Bot., 89(7), 907-916.
- Siddique M.R.B., Hamid A. and Islam M.S. (2000) Drought stress effects on water relations of wheat. Bot. Bull. Acad. Sinica, 41, 35-39.
- Hussain M., Malik M.A., Farooq M., Ashraf M.Y. and Cheema M.A. (2008) Improving drought tolerance by exogenous application of glycinebetaine and salicylic acid in sunflower. J. Agron. Crop Sci., 194, 193-199.
- Anjum S.A., Xie X., Wang L., Saleem M.F., Man C. and Lei W. (2011) Morphological, physiological and biochemical responses of plants to drought stress. Afr. J. Agric. Res., 6(9), 2026-2032.
- Zlatev Z. and Lidon FC. (2012) An overview on drought induced changes in plant growth, water relationsand photosynthesis. Emir. J. Food Agric., 24(1), 57-72.
- Lin Z. and Ehleringer J.R. (1982) The effects of light, temperature, water vapor pressure deficit and carbon dioxide on photosynthesis in Papaya. Acta Phytophysiol. Sinica, 8, 363-372.
- Almeselmani M., Abdullah F., Hareri F., Naaesan M., Ammar M.A. and Zuher Kanbar O. (2011) Effect of drought on different physiological characters and yield component in different varieties of Syrian durum wheat. Journal of Agricultural Sciences J. Agric. Sci., 3, 127-133.
- Baroowa B., Gogoi N., Paul S. and Sarma B. (2012) Morphological responses of pulse (Vigna spp.) crops to soil water deficit. Journal of Agricultural Sciences J. Agric. Sci., 57(1), 31-40.
- Bhatt R.M. and Srinivasa Rao N.K. (2005) Influence of pod load response of okra to water stress. Indian J. Plant Physi., 10, 54–59.
- Kacperska A. and Kubacka-Zebalska M. (1989) Formation of stress ethylene depends both on ACC synthesis and on the activity of free radical generating system. Physiol. Plant., 77, 231-237.
- Baroowa B. and Gogoi N. (2012) Effect of induced drought on different growth and biochemical attributes of black gram (Vignamungo L.) and green gram (Vigna radiate L.). J. Environ. Res. Develop., 6, 584-593.
- Rucker K.S., Kvien C.K., Holbrook C.C. and Hook J.E. (1995) Identification of peanut genotypes with improved drought avoidance traits. Peanut Science, 24, 14-18.
- Vurayai R., Emongor V. and Moseki B. (2011) Effect of water stress imposed at different growth and development stages on morphological traits and yield of bambara groundnuts (Vignasubterranea L. Verdc). Am. J. Plant Physiol., 6(1), 17-27.
- Alves A.A.C. and Setter T.L. (2004) Response of cassava leaf area expansion to water deficit: Cell proliferation, cell expansion and delayed development. Ann. Bot. (London), 94, 605–613.
- Dickson R. and Tomlinson P. (1996) Oak growth, development and carbon metabolism in response to water stress. Ann. For. Sci., 53, 181–196.
- Farooq M., Wahid A., Kobayashi N., Fujita D. and Basra S.M.A. (2009) Plant drought stress: effects, mechanisms and management. Agron. Sustain. Dev., 29, 185-212.
- Setter T.L. (1990) Transport/harvest index: Photosynthetic partitioning in stressed plants. P. 17-36. Stress responses in plant: Adaptation and accumulation mechanism. Wiley-Liss, Inc. New York, 14853.
- Pandey R.K., Marienville J.W. and Adum A. (2000) Deficit irrigation and nitrogen effect on maize in a sahelian environment. I. Grain yield components. Agr. Water Manage., 46, 1-13.
- Toker C. and Cagirgan M.I. (1998) Assessment of response to drought stress of chickpea (CicerarietinumL.) lines under rainfed conditions. Turk. J. .Agric. For., 22, 615-621.
- Azimzadeh S.M. and Azimzadeh S.J. (2011) Study on drought tolerance of 12 varieties of bread wheat(Triticum Aestivum) in East Part of Iran. Adv. Environ.Biol., 5(10), 3256-3262.