A selective complexometric method of determination of manganese(II) using L-Cystine as masking agent
- 1Department of Chemistry, St. Aloysius College, Mangalore-575003, Karnataka, India
- 2Department of Chemistry, Srinivas Institute of Technology, Valachil, Mangalore-574143, Karnataka, India
- 3Department of Chemistry, St. Aloysius College, Mangalore-575003, Karnataka, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 9, Issue (4), Pages 30-33, October,18 (2019)
The determination of manganese(II) in the existence of various other different metal ions, a transparent speedy and accurate complexometric method is explained, depending on the selective masking ability of L-Cystine against Mn(II). Along with other associated metal ions, Mn(II) present in a given sample solution is first complexed with the surplus of EDTA and the leftover EDTA is then titrated against Zinc sulphate solution in the presence of Xylenol Orange as an indicator at pH5.0-6.0.A known excess of 1% L-Cystine solution is then supplemented to discharge the EDTA from Mn(II)-EDTA complex and mixed well. The displaced EDTA is again titrated with Zinc sulphate solution. The method goes well in the range 2.19-15.39mg of manganese(II) with the relative error ±0.5 and standard deviation & ≤0.03mg The issue of the existence of various other metal ions on the exactitude of the results has been studied. And the method can be used for the determination of Manganese in alloys.
- Sharma Puri and Kalia (2006)., Principles of inorganic chemistry, Pearson Education, India., 1-826.ISBN8177581309.
- Oliver R.T. and Cox E.P. (1967)., Nonferrous metallurgy. I. Light metals., Analytical Chemistry, 39(5), 102-110.
- Bacon F.E. (1967)., Manganese and Manganese alloys in Krik-Othmer Encyclopaedia of Chemical Technology., 2nd ed., Interscience, 887.
- Bhat K. S. (1999)., Studies on complexing and analytical behaviour of sulphur, nitrogen and oxygen donor heterocyclic compounds and allied reagents., Mangalore University, India, 1-196. ISBN:10603131564
- Bhat N. Gopalakrishna (2002)., Studies on the complexing behaviour and analytical application of nitrogen, Oxygen and Sulphur donor heterocyclic ligands and allied reagents., Mangalore University, India. 1-300. SBN:10603132261
- CH R.N. (2001)., Studies on some sulphur and nitrogen donor ligands in complexometry and spectrophotometry.,
- Perdur N., Nellikalaya G.B. and Gopalakrishnayya C.K. (2015)., Ammonium oxalate as a masking agent for the complexometric determination of manganese (II)., Vietnam Journal of Chemistry, 53(2), 151-155.
- Vogel A.I. (1991)., A textbook of Quantitative Inorganic Analysis., Longmans, 5th edn., London, 475.
- Patnaik Pradyot (2004)., Deen, 2nd edition, New York, McGraw –Hill, 2.6-2.7
- Lange, Handbook of Chemistry., ed. John A.Dean,13th ed., McGraw Hill Book Company.
- Nagaraj P., Gopalakrishna N., Bhat and Chandrashekhara K.G. (2015)., Indirect complexometric determination of Mercury(II) using L-Cystine as a selective masking agent., International Journal of Chemical Studies, IJCS, 3(1), 27-29.
- Chandrashekhara K.G., Bhat Gopalakrishna N. and Nagaraj P. (2015)., Selective complexometric determination of Palladium by using L-Cystine as releasing agent., Asian Journal of Chemistry, 27(3), 882-884.