Behaviours of liver and kidney function markers in diabetic rats treated with Calotropis procera leaf aqueous extract
- 1Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Nasarawa State University, Keffi - Nasarawa State, Nigeria
- 2Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Nasarawa State University, Keffi - Nasarawa State, Nigeria
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 9, Issue (4), Pages 14-19, October,18 (2019)
Long-term high blood glucose causes diabetes mellitus; this metabolic disorder is accompanied by both short – and long terms complications. In the present study, behaviours of liver and kidney function markers in diabetic rats treated with different doses of Calotropis procera leaf aqueous extract were studied. At p>0.05, the blood glucose, hepatic GOT, GPT, albumin, total bilirubin, GOT/GPT ratio, serum urea and creatinine were significantly elevated in diabetic groups (B, C, D, E and F), while hepatic glycogen was significantly reduced with induction of alloxan. Treatment with the extract at different doses of administration (25, 50 100mg/kg b.w.) particularly higher doses restored the markers back to their normal levels when compared to mean values of non-diabetic group (A). Mean values of markers in group administered 100mg/kg b.w. dose of extract, non-diabetic and metformin treated groups (A and B) were in the same range. In the present study, it can be deduced that aqueous extract of Calotropis procera leaf at 100 mg/kg b.w dose showed significant potency in amelioration of alloxan disturbances on hepatic and renal function markers.
- World Health Organization (2005)., Definition and diagnosis of diabetes mellitus intermediate hyperglycemia: Report of WHO/IDF Consultation., Geneva, Switzerland.
- Ahmed A.M. (2002)., History of diabetes mellitus., Saudi. Med. J., 23(4), 373-378.
- Okoro C.S. and Ogbera A.O. (2013)., Socio-cultural aspects of diabetes mellitus in Nigeria., J. Soc. Health Diabetes, 1, 15-21.
- Ajiboso S.O. (2014)., Antidiabetic activity and toxicity of aqueous extract of Calotropis procera leaves in alloxan-induced diabetic rats (Unpublished Thesis)., University of Ilorin, Kwara Nigeria.
- Quinto L., Aponte J.J., Sacarlal J., Espasa M., Aide P., Mandomando L., Guinovart C., Macete E., Navia M.M., Thompson R., Menendez C. and Alonso P.L. (2006)., Haematological and biochemical indices in young African children: in search of reference intervals., Trop. Med. Int. health, 11, 1741-1748.
- Yakubu T.M., Akanji M.A. and Nafiu M.O. (2010)., Anti-diabetic activity of aqueous extract of Cochlospermum planchonii root in alloxan-induced diabetic Rats., Cameroon Journal of Experimental Biology, 6(2), 91-100.
- European Treaty Series (2005)., European Convention for the protection of vertebrate animals used for experimental and other scientific purposes., Strasbourg: ETS - 123.
- Grant G.H. and kacchman J.F. (1987)., Fundamentals of Clinical Chemistry., In: N.W. Tiez (Edn.), , 3rd. W.B. Saunders Company. Philadelphia, 298-320.
- Blass K.G., Thiebert R.J. and Lam L.K. (1974)., Study of mechanism of Jaffe reactions., Clin. Chem., 12(7), 336- 343.
- Veniamin M.P. and Varkitzi C. (1970)., Chemical basis of the cabamidodi-acetyl micro-method for estmation of urea, citrulline and carbamyl derivatives., Clin. Chem., 16, 3-6.
- Ong K.C. and Khoo H.E. (2000)., Effects of Myricetin on glycemia and glycogen metabolism in diabetic rats., Life Sciences, 67, 1695-1705.
- Ajiboso S.O., Yakubu T.M. and Oladiji A.T. (2016)., Antidiabetic activity of aqueous extract of Calotropis procera leaf in alloxan-induced diabetic rats., European Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 3(7), 67-74.
- Ajiboso S.O. and Tarfa F.D. (2018)., Evaluation of hypoglycaemic and antioxidant activities of Calotropis procera leaf in alloxan-induced diabetic rats., World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 7(18), 250-262.
- Taubert D., Roesen R. and Schömig E. (2007)., Effect of cocoa and tea intake on blood pressure: a meta-analysis., Archives of internal medicine, 167(7), 626-634.
- Shaffiee G., Khaseh M.E., Rezaei N., Aghili R. and Malek M. (2013)., Alteration of pulmonary function in diabetic nephropathy., Journal of Diabetes and Metabolic Disorders, 12, 15.
- Mori D.M., Baviera A.M., Ramalho L.T.D.O., Vendramini R.C., Brunette I.L. and Pepato M.T. (2003)., Temporal response pattern of biochemical analytes in experimental diabetes., Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry, 38, 183-191.
- Ohaeri O.C. (2001)., Effect of garlic oil on the levels of various enzymes in the serum and tissue of streptozotocin diabetic rats., Bioscience Reports, 21, 19-24.
- Mukai M., Ozasa K., Hayashi K. and Kawai K. (2002)., Various SGOT/SGPT ratios in nonviral liver disorders and related physical conditions and life-style., Dig. Dis. Sci., 47(3), 549-555.
- Grover J.K., Van V. and Rathi S.S. (2000)., Anti-hyperglycemic effect of Eugenia jambolana and Tinospora cordifolia in experimental diabetes and their effects on key metabolic enzymes involved in carbohydrate metabolism., Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 73, 461-470.