Indoor air quality in cement industries and potential effect on health
- 1Department of Environmental Engineering, Al-Balqa Applied University, Irbid, Jordan
- 2Civil Engineering Department, the University of Jordan, Amman, Jorden
- 3Chemical Engineering Department, University of Muta, Karak, Jordan
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 9, Issue (4), Pages 8-13, October,18 (2019)
This study aimed to assess Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) in a cement production plant in terms of Particulate Matters (PM2.5, and PM10), gaseous pollutants (SO2, NO2, CO2 and CO) and Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOCs). The obtained result revealed that the higher concentration of PM10, PM2.5, SO2, NO2 were measured at the clinker cooling area, while the kiln area has the higher concentration of CO2, CO and TVOCs. Concentrations of pollutants ranged from 0.05-2.65mg/m3, 0.012-0.121mg/m3, 0-21ppb, 340-430ppm, 0-3ppm, 0.065- 0.215ppm and 44-122ppb for PM10, PM2.5, SO2, CO2, CO, NO2, and VOCs respectively. Control at source strategy and housekeeping are the key points in reduction of the indoor air emissions. Further studies regarding long-term effect of cement industry on the employees\' health is recommended. Periodical medical check, PPE wearing, and site management will reduce the effect of indoor emissions on the health of workers.
- Balaji M.D.S.S., Vigneshwaran A. and Fayaz ahamed K. (2017)., Experimental Study on the Behavior of Self Compacting Self Cured Concrete Using Chemical Admixtures and Metakaolin., International Conference on Emerging trends in Engineering, Science and Sustainable Technology (ICETSST-2017). India, Month:18-25.
- USGS U.S.G.S. (2014)., 2014 Minerals Yearbook Cement., [Advance Release]
- Rampuri S. (2017)., Study and analysis of occupational & health diseases in cement industries., Int J Adv Res Dev, 2(3), 1-7.
- WBCSD W.B.C.f.S.D. (2018)., Guidelines for Emissions Monitoring and Reporting in the Cement Industry., https://www.wbcsdcement.org/pdf/CSI_TF4%20Emissions%20monitoring_Web.pdf. Accessed 07/09 2018.
- Akanni A., Awofadeju A. and Adeyemo B. (2014)., Comparative analysis of the chemical composition of various brands of Portland cement available in South-Western parts of Nigeria., International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology, 3(8), 1679-1684.
- Al Smadi B., Al-Zboon K. and Shatnawi K. (2009)., Assessment of air pollutants emissions from a cement plant: A case study in Jordan., Jordan J. Civ. Eng, 3, 265-282.
- USEPA U.S.E.P.A. (2010)., Available and Emerging Technologies for Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Industrial, Commercial, and Institutional Boilers North Carolina.,
- IFC I.F.C. (2007)., Environmental, Health, and Safety Guidelines for Cement and Lime Manufacturing.,
- Mishra S. and Siddiqui N. (2014)., A review on environmental and health impacts of cement manufacturing emissions., International journal of geology, agriculture and environmental sciences, 2(3), 26-31.
- Ahmad W., Nisa S., Nafees M. and Hussain R. (2013)., Assessment of Particulate Matter(PM 10 & PM 2.5) and Associated Health Problems in Different areas of Cement Industry, Hattar, Haripur., Journal of Science and Technology, 37(2), 7-15.
- Al-Zboon K.K. (2017)., Indoor air pollution due to household use of olive cake as a source of energy., International Journal of Environment and Waste Management, 19(3), 248-267.
- WHO W.H.O. (2018)., Air Quality Guidelines - Second Edition, Chapter 5.5 Carbon monoxide., http://www.euro.who.int/__data/ assets/pdf_file/0020/123059/AQG2ndEd_5_5carbonmonoxide.PDF. Accessed 28/07 2018.
- Mehraj S.S., Bhat G., Balkhi H.M. and Gul T. (2013)., Health risks for population living in the neighborhood of a cement factory., African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 7(12), 1044-1052.
- Mwaiselage J., Bråtveit M., Moen B.E. and Mashalla Y. (2005)., Respiratory symptoms and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease among cement factory workers., Scandinavian journal of work, environment & health, 31(4), 316-323.
- Rai P., Mishra R. and Parihar S. (2013)., Quantifying the cement air pollution related human health diseases in Maihar City, MP, India., Research Journal of Recent Sciences, 2, 229-233.
- Ahmed H.O. and Abdullah A.A. (2012)., Dust exposure and respiratory symptoms among cement factory workers in the United Arab Emirates., Industrial health:1203250129-1203250129.
- Kakooei H., Gholami A., Ghasemkhani M., Hosseini M., Panahi D. and Pouryaghoub G. (2012)., Dust exposure and respiratory health effects in cement production., Acta Medica Iranica, 50(2), 122-126.
- Poornajaf A., Kakooei H., Hosseini M., Ferasati F. and Kakaei H. (2010)., The effect of cement dust on the lung function in a cement factory, Iran., International Journal of Occupational Hygiene, 74-78.
- Soussia T., Guedenon P., Koumassi H., Lawani R., Edorh P. and Doutetien Gbaguidi C. (2014)., Oculopathy within workers of Beninese cement industry of Xwlacodji (BCI) in Cotonou (Benin)., International Research Journal of Public and Environmental Health, 1(7), 158-164.
- Samuel S.V., Talukhaba A.A. and Opaleye O.S. (2016)., Identifying Hazards Facing Workersin Cement Factory in Pretoria., Paper presented at: 9th cidb Postgraduate Conference2016; Cape Town, South Africa.
- Gizaw Z., Yifred B. and Tadesse T. (2016)., Chronic respiratory symptoms and associated factors among cement factory workers in Dejen town, Amhara regional state, Ethiopia, 2015., Multidisciplinary respiratory medicine; 11(1), 13.
- Alam M.Z., Armin E., Haque M., Kayesh J.H.E. and Qayum A. (2018)., Air Pollutants and Their Possible Health Effects at Different Locations in Dhaka City., International Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resource, 9(4).
- Silva S., Monteiro A., Russo M.A., Valente J., Alves C., Nunes T. and Miranda A.I. (2017)., Modelling indoor air quality: validation and sensitivity., Air Quality, Atmosphere & Health, 10(5), 643-652.
- Muhamad-Darus F., Zain-Ahmed A. and Talib M. (2011)., Preliminary assessment of indoor air quality in terrace houses., Health and the Environmental Journal, 2(2), 8-14.
- Mirzaee R., Kebriaei A., Hashemi S., Sadeghi M. and Shahrakipour M. (2008)., Effects of exposure to Portland cement dust on lung function in Portland cement factory workers in Khash, Iran., Journal of Environmental Health Science & Engineering, 5(3), 201-206.
- OSHA O.S.a.H.A. (2018)., Permissible Exposure Limits – Annotated Tables., https://www.osha.gov/dsg/annotated-pels/tablez-1.html. Accessed 21/04 2018.
- TUC. (2018)., Dust in the Workplace, Guidance for Health and Safety Representatives., https://roadmaponcarcinogens.eu/ content/uploads/2016/10/DUST-in-the-Workplace-October-2011.pdf. Accessed 26/08 2018.
- Ibrahim H.G., Okasha A.Y., Elatrash M.S. and Al-Meshragi M.A. (2012)., Emissions of SO2, NOx and PMs from cement plant in vicinity of Khoms city in Northwestern Libya., Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering, A, 1(5A).
- Oguntoke O., Awanu A.E. and Annegarn H.J. (2012)., Impact of cement factory operations on air quality and human health in Ewekoro Local Government Area, South-Western Nigeria., International journal of environmental studies; 69(6), 934-945.
- USEPA U.S.E.P.A. (2018)., Portland Cement Manufacturing., https://www3.epa.gov/ttnchie1/ ap42/ch11/final/c11s06.pdf. Accessed 31/08 2018.
- WHO W.H.O. (2018)., Air quality guidelines, Carbon monoxide., http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets /pdf_file/0020/123059/AQG2ndEd_5_5carbonmonoxide.PDF. Accessed 07/09 2018.
- HSE H.a.S.E. (2018)., Health and Safety Executive, EH40/2005 Workplace exposure limits TSO, part of Williams Lea Tag., 978 0 7176 6703 1:
- Mosca S., Benedetti P., Guerriero E. amd Rotatori M. (2014)., Assessment of nitrous oxide emission from cement plants: Real data measured with both Fourier transform infrared and nondispersive infrared techniques., Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association; 64(11):1270-1278.
- Department of Employment E.D.a.I.D. (2018)., Health effects of nitrogen oxides., https://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/ __data/assets/pdf_file/0020/212483/2-health-effects-of-nitrogen-dioxide.pdf. Accessed 21/07 2018.
- Haag W. (2005)., Rapid, continuous TVOC measurements using ppb-level PIDs., Paper presented at: Proceedings for the Indoor Air 2005 Conference, Beijing, China2005.