Review: Ethical consumption of food crops for biofuel production
- 1Department of Chemistry, D.A.V. College, Chandigarh, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 9, Issue (1), Pages 19-21, January,18 (2019)
Biofuel production is an adequate need which will lessen the emission of harmful effluents into the environment. These will provide better environment than fuels derived from fossil fuels. Economic development is also associated with energy sources available in country. So each country wants to have higher reservoirs of fuels than other. In this scenario each country wants to use new technologies which will help them in expanding their energy resources. Biofuels are alternative source of energy where fossil fuel reserves are not used.
- Jain S. and Sharma M.P. (2010)., Stability of biodiesel and its blends: a review., Renewable and sustainable energy reviews, 14(2), 667-678.
- Gerpen J.V. (2005)., Biodiesel Processing and Production., Fuel Processing Technology, 86(10), 1097-1107.
- Lee D.H. (2011)., Algal biodiesel economy and competition among bio-fuels., Bioresource technology, 102(1), 43-49.
- Singh S.P. and Singh D. (2010)., Biodiesel production through the use of different sources and characterization of oils and their esters as the substitute of diesel: a review., Renewable and sustainable energy reviews, 14(1), 200-216.
- Srivastava A. and Prasad R. (2000)., Triglycerides-based diesel fuels., Renewable and sustainable energy reviews, 4(2), 111-133.
- Goswami A.K. and Usmani G.A. (2014)., Characterization of biodiesel obtained from pure soyabean oil and its various blends with petro-diesel., International Journal of Innovative Research in Science Engineering and Technology, 3(9), 16287-16293.
- Thompson P.B. (2012)., The agricultural ethics of biofuels: the food vs. fuel debate., Agriculture, 2(4), 339-358.
- Tenenbaum D.J. (2008)., Food vs. fuel: diversion of crops could cause more hunger., Environmental health perspectives, 116(6), A254-A257.
- Cassman G.K. and Liska A.J. (2007)., Food and fuel for all: realistic or foolish?., Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining: Innovation for a sustainable economy, 1(1), 18-23.
- Müller A., Schmidhuber J., Hoogeveen J. and Steduto P. (2008)., Some insights in the effect of growing bio-energy demand on global food security and natural resources., Water Policy, 10(S1), 83-94.
- Fargione J., Hill J., Tilman D., Polasky S. and Hawthorne P. (2008)., Land clearing and the biofuel carbon debt., Science, 319(5867), 1235-1238.
- Doornbosch R. and Steenblik R. (2007)., Biofuels: Is the cure worse than the disease? Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development., Round Table on Sustainable Development, Paris, France, 4.
- Brown L. (2006)., Exploding US grain demand for automotive fuel threatens world food security and political stability., Earth Policy Institute, November, 3.
- Kim S. and Dale B.E. (2005)., Life cycle assessment of various cropping systems utilized for producing biofuels: Bioethanol and biodiesel., Biomass and Bioenergy, 29(6), 426-439.
- Searchinger T., Heimlich R., Houghton R.A., Dong F., Elobeid A., Fabiosa J. and Yu T.H. (2008)., Use of US croplands for biofuels increases greenhouse gases through emissions from land-use change., Science, 319(5867), 1238-1240.
- Pols Auke, Spahn Andreas, Thompson Paul B. and Kaplan David M. (2014)., Biofuels: Ethical aspects., encyclopedia of food and agricultural ethics. Springer Netherlands, 211-217.
- Gomiero T., Paoletti M.G. and Pimentel D. (2010)., Biofuels: efficiency, ethics, and limits to human appropriation of ecosystem services., Journal of agricultural and environmental ethics, 23(5), 403-434.
- Rabelo S.C., Carrere H., Maciel Filho R. and Costa A.C. (2011)., Production of bioethanol, methane and heat from sugarcane bagasse in a biorefinery concept., Bioresource technology, 102(17), 7887-7895.
- Gao X., Liu Y., Chen Z. and Wu L. (2012)., Rapid screening and cultivation of oleaginous microorganisms., Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, 50, 282-289.
- Sankh S., Thiru M., Saran S. and Rangaswamy V. (2013)., Biodiesel production from a newly isolated Pichia kudriavzevii strain., Fuel, 106, 690-696.
- Raja Antony S., Smart Robinson D.S. and Lee Robert Lindon C. (2011)., Biodiesel production from Jatropha oil and its charctaerization., Res. J. Chem. Sci., 1(1), 81-87.