Synthesized Schiff bases from linoleic and benheric acids as inhibitor of mild steel corrosion in HCl medium
- 1Department of Chemistry, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia State, Nigeria
- 2Department of Chemistry, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia State, Nigeria
- 3Department of Chemistry, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia State, Nigeria
- 4Department of Chemistry, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia State, Nigeria
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 8, Issue (9), Pages 12-25, September,18 (2018)
Inhibitory performances of Schiff bases, 2[2-diethylamino) ethyl methyl amino)-4-methy1-5-3 (3-methyl sulfanyl propy1 amino) methylidene cyclohexdien-1-one (DEMS) and [1-(azepan-1-yl)-2-2-[4-(2-tert-butyl sulfanylethyl piperazin-1-yl] ethanone (ATSP) synthesized from linoleic and benheric acids on mild steel corrosion in HCl medium were assessed. Inhibition performances of the Schiff bases under study were assessed by gravimetric and potentiodynamic polarization methods. The inhibitors were characterized by Infrared (IR) spectrophotometry. Results obtained showed pronounced enhancements in efficiencies of the inhibitors as their concentrations gradually increased while a corresponding decline in efficiencies was observed with a rise in temperature of the medium. The measured corrosion data were best described by Langmuir isotherm with R2 values of 0.99. Thermodynamic studies on the inhibition process showed that the mode of adsorption of the Schiff bases followed physisorption. The negative entropy values obtained revealed increased disorderliness at the mild steel-inhibitor interface as concentrations of the Schiff bases gradually build up. Potentiodynamic polarisation results revealed that the inhibitors exhibited a mixed inhibition control
- Liu P., Fang X., Tang Y., Sun C. and Yao C. (2001)., Electrochemical and quantum chemical studies of 5-substituted tetrazoles as corrosion inhibitor for copper aerated 0.5 M H2SO4 solution., Materials Science and Application, 2, 1268-1278.
- Achary G., Sachin H.P., Naik Y.A. and Venkatesha T.V. (2008)., The corrosion inhibition of mild steel by 3-formyl-8- hydroxyquinoline in hydrochloric acid medium., Material Chemistry and Physics, 107, 44-50.
- Quraishi M.A., Ahamad I., Singh A.K., Shukla S.K., Lai B and Singh V. (2008)., N- (Piperidinomethyl)-3-Ecpyridylidene amino, a new and effective acid corrosion inhibitor for mild Steel., Material Chemistry and Physics, 112, 1035-1039.
- Umoren S.A., Obot I.B. and Ebenso E.E. (2008)., Corrosion Inhibition of aluminium using exudates gum from Pachylobus edulis in the presence of halide ions in HCl., Electron, Journal of Chemistry, 5(2), 355-364.
- Eddy N.O. (2011)., Experimental and theoretical studies of some amino acids and their potential activity as inhibitors for the corrosion of mild steel., Part 2. Journal for Advance Research, 2, 35-47.
- Ita B.I. (2004)., A study of corrosion inhibition of mild steel in 0.1 M hydrochloric acid by O-vanillin and O-vanillin hydrazone., Bulletin of Electrochistry, 20(8), 363-370.
- Hosseini S.M.A., Eftekhar S and Amiri M. (2007)., Polarisation behavior of stainless steel type 302 in HCl solution of benzotriazole., Asian Journal of Chemistry, 19(4), 2574-2580.
- Eddy N.O. and Odoemelam S.A. (2008)., Inhibition of the corrosion of mild steel in acid medium by penicillin V. Potassium., Advances in Natural and Applied Sciences, 2(3), 225-232.
- Toliwal S.D., Kalpesh J. and Pavagadhi T. (2010)., Inhibition of corrosion of mild steel in HCl solution by Schiff base derived from non-traditional oils., Journals of Applied Chemical Research, 12, 24-36.
- Yassen A.A., Najim A. and AL-Masoudi A. (2003)., A new class of dihaloquinolones bearing Naldehydoglycosyl hydrides, mercaptol, 1,2,4- triazole, oxadiazoline and a-amino ester precursor: synthesis and anti-microbial activity., Journal of Brazil Chemical Society, 14, 790-796.
- Eddy N.O. (2011)., Experimental and theoretical studies of some amino acids and their potential activity as inhibitors for the corrosion of mild steel, Part 2., Journal for Advance Research, 2, 35-47.
- Ezeoke A.U., Adeyemi O.G., Akerele O.A and Obi-Egbedi N.O. (2012)., Computational and experimental studies of 4-amino antipyrine as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in sulphuric acid solution., International Journal of Electrochemical Sciences, 7, 534-553.
- Okafor P.C., Ebenso E.E. and Ekpe U. (2004)., Inhibition of the acid corrosion of aluminium by some derivatives of thiosemicarbazone., Bulletin of Chemical Society of Ethiopia, 18(2), 181-192.
- Stern I. and Martinez S. (2005)., An inhibitory of lo-carbon steel by mimosa tannin in sulphuric acid solution., Journal of Electrochemical, 31, 973-978.
- Asshassi-Sorkhabi H., Shabani B. and Seifzadeh D. (2005)., Corrosion Inhibition of mild steel by some Schiff base compounds in HCl., Applied Surface Science, 239, 154-164.
- Yurt A., Balaban A., Kandemer S.U., Bereket G. and Erk B. (2004)., Investigation of some Schiff bases as HCl corrosion inhibitors for carbon steel., Material Chemistry and Physics, 85, 420-426.
- Yurt A., Bekeret G., Rivrak A., Balaban A and Erk B. (2005)., Effect of Schiff bases containing pyridyl group as corrosion inhibitors for low carbon steel and in 0.1M HCl., Journal of Applied Electrochem., 35, 1025-1032.
- Upadhyay R.K. and Mathur S.P. (2007)., Effect of Schiff bases as corrosion inhibitors of mild steel in sulphuric acid., E-Journal of Chemistry, 4(3), 408-414.
- Emergul K.C., Kurtaran R. and Atakol O. (2003)., An Investigation of Chloride-Substituted Schiff bases as corrosion inhibitors for mild steel., Journal of Corrosion Science, 45, 2803-2817.