Prediction of global solar radiation using meteorological parameters on empirical model at mountain Region Jumla, Nepal
- 1Institute of Engineering, Tribhuvwan University, Nepal
- 2Institute of Engineering, Tribhuvwan University, Nepal
- 3Institute of Engineering, Tribhuvwan University, Nepal
- 4Institute of Engineering, Tribhuvwan University, Nepal
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 8, Issue (1), Pages 23-29, January,18 (2018)
In this study, sunshine based Angstrom-Prescott model along with multiple linear regression model based on three meteorological parameter (relative sunshine hours, maximum and minimum temperature, minimum relative humidity) were developed to predict the monthly average global solar radiation for the year 2011 of Jumla. The estimated solar radiation from these models were compared with the measured solar radiation which were found to be in close agreement with each other. The statistical test like mean bias error (MBE), mean percentage error (MPE), root mean square error (RMSE) and coefficient of determination (R2) were performed to evaluate the model. The multiple linear regression model has a higher value of R2 (0.95) and lower value of RMSE (0.3614) which indicate a better agreement between the measured and estimated global solar radiation. It is suggested that the multiple linear model can be employed for the estimation of monthly global solar radiation on horizontal surface for Jumla and other region with similar climatic condition where radiation data are inaccessible.
- Economy Survey FY2016/17. (2017)., Ministry of Finance., Government of Nepal.
- International Energy Agency (2015)., India Energy Outlook (2015)., France.
- Nakarmi A.M. (2016)., Current Energy Consumption Trends and Future Energy Scenarios of Nepal., IPPAN Seminar, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- US Energy Information Administration (2016)., International Energy Outlook., , Washington DC 20585
- SWERA (2008)., Alternative Energy promotion Centre Nepal., Government of Nepal, Ministry of Environment, Science and Technology.
- Poudyal K.N. (2015)., Estimation of Global Solar Radiation Potential in Nepal., Doctorate Thesis. Institute of Engineering, Pulchowk Campus, Tribhuvwan University, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- WECS (2010)., Energy Sector Synopsis Report., Government of Nepal.
- Dumas A., Andrisani A., Bonnici M., Madonia M. and Trancossi M. (2014)., A New Correlation between Solar Energy Radiation and Some Atmospheric Parameters., arXiv preprint arXiv:1401.7837. Available http://arxiv.org/pdf/1401.7837.pdf
- Poudyal K.N., Bhattarai B.K., Sapkota B.K. and Kjeldstad B. (2012)., Estimation of global solar radiation using sunshine duration in Himalaya Region., Research Journal of Chemical Sciences, 2(11), 20-25.
- Quansah e., Amekudzi L.K., Preko K., Aryee J., Boakye O.R., Boli D. and Salifu M.R. (2014)., Empirical Models for Estimating Global Solar Radiation over the Ashanti Region of Ghana., Journal of Solar Energy. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1155/2014/897970
- Adhikari K.R., Bhattarai B.K. and Gurung S. (2013)., Estimation of Global Solar Radiation for Four Selected Sites in Nepal Using Sunshine Hours, Temperature and Relative Humidity., Journal of Power and Energy Engineering, 1(3), 1-9.
- Muhammad A. and Darma T.H. (2014)., Estimation of Global Solar Radiation for Kano State Nigeria based on Meteorological Data., IOSR Journal of Applied Physics, 6(6), 19-23.
- Falayi E.O., Adepitan J.O. and Rabin A.B. (2008)., Empirical Models for Correlation of Global Solar Radiation with Meteorological Data for Iseyin, Nigeria., International Journal of Physical Sciences, 3(9), 210-216.
- Kipp and Zonen (2006)., Instruction Manual.,
- Iqbal M. (1983)., An introduction to solar radiation., Academic Press, New York.
- Ogbaka D.T. and Jackson K. (2016)., Comparison between Linear and Quadratic Models for Estimating Solar Radiation Data in Yola, Adamawa state, Nigeria., EPRA International Journal of Research and Development, 1(5), 63-69.
- Environmental Pollution in Nepal, A Review of Studies (1991)., Nepal National Conservation Strategy Implementation Programme., National Planning Commission, His Majesty Government of Nepal.
- Sarsah E.A. and uba F.A. (2013)., Empirical Correlation for the Estimation of Global Solar Radiation using Meteorological Data in WA, Ghana., Advances in Applied Science Research, 4(4), 63-71.