Optimization and characterization of a green corrosion inhibitor using Costus speciosus extract for the corrosion of mild steel in 1 M HCl
- 1Department of Chemistry, University of Colombo, P.O. Box 1490, Colombo 03, Sri Lanka
- 2Department of Chemistry, University of Colombo, P.O. Box 1490, Colombo 03, Sri Lanka
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 8, Issue (1), Pages 18-22, January,18 (2018)
Corrosion inhibition by natural compounds has gained attention over traditional methods due to the adverse effects associated with traditional synthetic inhibitors which are harmful for humans as well as the environment. In this study, Costus speciosus, a native plant found widespread in Sri Lanka, known commonly as Thebu, was investigated as a potential corrosion inhibitor. A 10% extract of Thebu leaves in 1 M HCl was shown to have maximum inhibition efficiency when tested for corrosion of mild steel. This was verified by weight loss and electrochemical measurements. As shown by adsorption isotherm studies the mechanism of adsorption of inhibitor molecules to metal surface was identified as chemisorption by forming a monolayer.
- Sangeetha M., Rajendran S., Sathiyabama J. and Prabhakar P. (2012)., Eco friendly extract of Banana peel as corrosion inhibitor for carbon steel in sea water., J. Nat. Prod. Plant Resour, 2(5), 601-610.
- Sobhi M. (2012)., Naturally Occurring Elettaria cardamomum Extract as a Corrosion Inhibitor for the Dissolution of Zinc in 1.0 M HCl., ISRN Corros, 1-6.
- Kesavan D., Gopiraman M. and Sulochana N. (2012)., Green Inhibitors for Corrosion of Metals : A Review., Chem. Sci. Rev. Lett., 1(1), 1-8.
- Dananjaya S.H.S., Edussuriya M. and Dissanayake A.S. (2012)., Inhibition action of lawsone on the corrosion of mild steel in acidic media., The Online Journal of Science and Technology, 2(2), 32-36.
- Sangeetha M., Rajendran S., Sathiyabama J. and Krishnavenic A. (2013)., Inhibition of Corrosion of Aluminium and its Alloys by Extracts of Green Inhibitors., Port. Electrochim. Acta, 31(1), 41-52.
- Al-qasmi N.M. (2010)., Natural Products as Corrosion Inhibitors of Some Metals in Aqueous Media., (Unpublished doctoral dissertation), Umm Al-Qura University,Makkah Al-Mukarramah.
- Al-Otaibi M., Al-Mayouf A., Khan M., Mousa A.A., Al-Mazroa S.A. and Alkhathlan H.Z. (2013)., The effect of temperature on the corrosion inhibition of mild steel in 1 M HCL solution by Curcuma longa extract., Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 5, 847-859.
- Priyantha N., Jayawardena P.S. and Senthuran R. (2013)., Corrosion inhibition of mild steel by Piper betle (BETEL) IN H2SO4acid., Book of Abstracts of the Peradeniya University Research Sessions, Sri Lanka - 2012, 17.
- Ibrahim T.H., Chehade Y. and Zour M.A. (2011)., Corrosion inhibition of mild steel using potato peel extract in 2M HCL solution., Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 6, 6542-6556.
- Senthooran R. and Priyantha N. (2012)., Inhibition of Corrosion of Copper in HCl by Tea Leaves Extracts: I. Corrosion Rate Measurements., Annu. Res. J. SLSAJ, 12, 1-10.
- Banerjee S., Srivastava V. and Singh M.M. (2012)., Chemically modified natural polysaccharide as green corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acidic medium., Corros. Sci., 59, 35-41.
- Sulaiman S., Nor-Anuar A., Abd-Razak A.S. and Chelliapan S. (2012)., A Study of Using Allium Cepa (Onion) as Natural Corrosion Inhibitor in Industrial Chill Wastewater System., Res. J. Chem. Sci., 2(5), 10-16.
- Patni N., Agarwal S. and Shah P. (2013)., Greener Approach towards Corrosion Inhibition., Chinese J. Eng., 1-10.
- Cicek V. and Al-Numan Bayan (2011)., Corrosion Chemistry., John Wiley and Sons, ISBN: 978-0-470-94307-6.
- Bulugahapitiya V.P. and Gajaweera G.A.N.S. (2014)., Qualitative and quantitative investigation of phytochemicals present in the leaves of Thebu., Costus speciosus, Ristcon.
- Chigondo M. and Chigondo F. (2016)., Recent Natural Corrosion Inhibitors for Mild Steel: An Overview., J. Chem., 1-7.