Comparison of electrical and photoluminescence properties of synthesized poly o-phenylenediamine and its sio2 nanocomposites
- 1Department of Chemistry, Auxilium College, katpadi, Vellore-6, India
- 2Department of Chemistry, Auxilium College, katpadi, Vellore-6, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 7, Issue (9), Pages 1-7, September,18 (2017)
Poly orthophenylenediamine and their silicon dioxide nanocomposites were synthesize using different concentration of SiO2 nanoparticles like 5%, 10% and 15% by oxidative polymerization method using ammonium persulphate as an oxidant in the presence of HCl. The formation of polymers and their nanocomposites were confirmed from the UV-vis and IR spectroscopy and from the change of polymer colour from red to brown and found to exhibit band at 446nm in UV-visible spectroscopy. The crystalline nature of the synthesized polymers and their nanocomposites were determined from the XRD studies. The SEM images of the polymer recorded at different magnification shows rod like structure and found to change to flake like structures in the polymer nanocomposites synthesized at different concentration of SiO2 nanoparticles. The TEM recorded at different angle confirms the core shell structures. The stability of the synthesized polymer and its nanocomposites were substantiated from thermal studies carried out using TGA, DTA and DSC. The comparative electrical conductivities of the polymer and its nanocomposites shows semiconducting nature and the conductivities are found to be higher for the nano composites than the polymer and the electrical conductivity was found to be higher for the polymer nanocomposite synthesized with 15% of SiO2. Photoluminescence is the property which involves the process of photon excitation followed by photon emission. The PL spectrum of polymers and their nanocomposites were recorded with 5, 10, and 15% SiO2 nanoparticles and are found to fall under the green light emission region. Thus the synthesized polymer and its nanocomposites can be used as a green light emitter in different applications.
- Meneghetti Paulo and Qutubuddin Syed (2006)., Synthesis, thermal properties and applications of polymer-clay nanocomposites., Thermochimica Acta, 442(1-2), 74-77.
- Kumar Prasanna Sahoo, Kumar Dillip Behera, Dash Matru Prasad, Kumar Bijaya Parija, Chandra Munesh Adhikari and Nayak P.L. (2013)., Synthesis and characterization of poly (o-methyl aniline)–MMT (Cloisite30B) nanocomposites for corrosion protection., The International Journal of Engineering And Science., 2(1), 141-148.
- Dutta K. and De S.K. (2007)., Optical and electrical characterization of polyaniline–silicon dioxide nanocomposite., Physics Letters A., 361, 141-145.
- Liu Zhenyan, Yue-E. Miao, Liu Mingkai, Ding Qianwei, Tjiu Weng Weei, Cui Xiaoli and Liu Tianxi (2014)., Flexible polyaniline-coated TiO2/SiO2 nanofiber membranes with enhanced visible-light photocatalytic degradation performance., Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 424, 49-55.
- Olawale O., Akinmoladun A.I., Oyawale F.A. and Atiko Rejoice (2013)., Characterization of Mono-crystalline Silicon from Rice Husk Ash., International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, 4(2), 1-4. ISSN 2229-5518.
- Iric-Marjanovic G.C., Dragic Evic, Milojevic M., Mojovic M., Mentus S., Dojic Inovic B., Marjanovia B. and Stejskal J. (2009)., Synthesis and Characterization of Self-Assembled Polyaniline Nanotubes/Silica Nanocomposites., J.phys.chem.B., 113(20), 7116.
- Khan Asif Ali and Paquiza Leena (2015)., Synthesis, characterization and conducting behavior of heavy metal sensitive polyaniline/zirconium (IV) tungstoiodophosphate nanocomposite., Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 22, 208-216.
- Ahmadi Ahmad, Attard Gary, Feliu Juan and Rodes Antonio (1999)., Surface Reactivity at “Chiral” Platinum Surfaces., Langmuir, 15(7), 2420-2424.
- Gomez-Romero P. (1999)., Nanocomposite Hybrid Molecular Materials for Application in Solid-State Electrochemical Supercapacitors., J. Electrochem. Soc., 146, 29.
- Gambardella M.T.D., Torresi R.M., DeTorresi S.I., and Buttry D.A. (2000)., Synthesis, Characterization, and Conductivity Studies of Poly-o-Methoxyaniline Intercalated into V2O5 Xerogel., J. Electrochem. Soc, 147, 2437.
- Ruckenstein E. and Li Z.F. (2002)., Intercalation of Conductive Polyaniline in the Mesostructured V2O5., Langmuir, 18, 6956.
- Buron C.C., Lakard B., Monnin A.F., Moutarlier V. and Lakard S. (2011)., Elaboration and characterization of polyaniline films electrodeposited on tin oxides., Synthetic Metals, 161, 2162-2169,.
- Roy Aashis S., Koppalkar Anilkumar R. and Prasad Ambika V.N. (2011)., Impedance Spectroscopic Studies on Nanometric Polyaniline/CdO Composites., Ferroelectrics, 413, 279.
- Sharanabasamma Ambalgi M., Hajeebaba Inamdar K., Manjula V.T., Sannakki Nagaraja, Shrishail Hogade G. and Basavaraja Sannakk (2016)., Synthesis, Characterization and Electrical Properties of Polyaniline/Nickel Oxide Nanocomposites., International Journal of Engineering Researc, 5(2), 119.
- Siva T., Kamaraj K., Karpakam V., Sathiyanarayanan S. (2013)., Soft template synthesis of poly(o-phenylenediamine) nanotubes and its application in self healing coatings., Progress in Organic Coatings, 76, 581- 588.
- Wang Liang, Guo Shaojun and Dong Shaojun (2008)., Facile synthesis of poly(o-phenylenediamine) microfibrils using cupric sulfate as the oxidant., Materials Letters, 62(17), 3240-3242.
- Hao Qingli, Sun Baoming, Yang Xujie, Lu Lude and Wang Xin (2009)., Synthesis and characterization of poly (o-phenylenediamine) hollow multi-angular microrods by interfacial method., Materials Letters., 63(2), 334-336.
- Abdolahi Ahmad, Hamzah Esah, Ibrahim Zaharah and Hashim Shahrir (2012)., Synthesis of Uniform Polyaniline nanofibers through nterfacial Polymerization., Materials, 5(8), 1487-1494.
- Somani P.R., marimuthu R., Mulik U.P., Sainkar S.R. and Amelnerkar D.P. (1999)., High piezoresistivity and its origin in conducting polyaniline/TiO2 composites., Synthetic Metals, 106, 45-52.
- Li Yan, Li Guicun, Peng Hongrui, Qin Yong and Chen Kezheng (2013)., Facile synthesis of high-quality ultralong poly(aniline-co-p-phenylenediamine) Nanofibers., Synthetic Metals, 164, 42-46.
- Sedenkova I., Trchova M. and Stejskal J. (2008)., The thermal degradation of polyaniline films prepared in solutions and weak acids and in water-FTIR and Raman spectroscopic studies., Polymer Degradation and Stability, 93(12), 2147-2157.
- Siva T., Kamaraj K. and Sathiyanarayanan S. (2014)., Electrosynthesis of poly(aniline-co-o-phenylenediamine) film on steel and its corrosion protection performance., Progress in Organic Coatings, 77(11), 1807-1815.
- Archana S. and Shanthi Jaya R. (2013)., Effect of Surfactant on the Chemical Polymerization of o-Phenylenediamine- A Comparative Study., Indian Journal of Advances in Chemical Science, 2(1), 83-88.
- Thangavel Subramani and Ramaraj Ramasamy (2011)., Electroless synthesis of multibranched gold nanostructures encapsulated by poly(o-phenylenediamine) in Nafion., Journal of Colloid and Interface Science., 355, 293-299.
- Kavitha B., kumar Siva K. and Narsimlu N. (2013)., Synthesis and characterization of polyaniline nano-fibers., Indian Journal of Pure and Applied Physics, 51, 207-209.
- Lakshmi Mohana, Roy Aashish S., Khasim Syed, Faisal Muhammad, Sajjan K.C. and Revanasiddappa M. (2013)., Dielectric property of NiTiO3 doped substituted ortho-chloropolyaniline composites., AIP Advances, 3(11), 2158.
- Rehim Mona H. Abel, Ismail Nahla, Badawy Abd El- Rahman A.A. and Turky Gamal (2011)., Poly phenylenediamine and its TiO2 composite as hydrogen storage material., Journal of Materials Chemistry and Physics, 128(3), 507-513.
- Olad A. and Nosrati R. (2013)., Preparation and corrosion resistance of nanostructured PVC/ZnO-polyaniline hybrid coating., Prog. Org. Coat, 76, 113-118.
- Muthirulan, P., Rajendran, N. (2012). Poly (o-phenylenediamine) coatings on mild steel: Electrosynthesis, characterization and its corrosion protection ability in acid medium. Surface & Coatings Technology, 206(8), 2072-2078., undefined, undefined
- Riga Alan, Collins Ricardo and Mlachak Gregory (1998)., Oxidative behavior of polymers by thermogravimetric analysis, differential thermal analysis and pressure differential scanning calorimetry., Thermochimia Acta, 324(1), 135-149.
- Deivanayaki S., Ponnuswamy V., Mariappan R. and Jayamurugan P. (2012)., Synthesis and characterization of polypyrrole/TiO2 composites by chemical oxidative method., Optik-International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, 124(12), 1089-1091.
- Mazrouaa A.M., Abed M.Y., Mansour N.A. and Mohamed M.G. (2012)., Synthesis and Characterization of Poly O-Anisidine Nanoparticles and their Nanocomposite., J Material Sci Eng, 1(1), 103.
- PerkinElmer and United Kingdom (2000)., An introduction to fluorescence spectroscopy.,
- Wang Y.W., Zhang L.D., Wang G.Z., Peng X.S., Chu Z.Q. and Liang C.H. (2002)., Catalytic growth of semiconducting zinc oxide nanowires and their photoluminescence properties., Journal of Crystal Growth, 234, 171-175.