Performance, influence of operational parameters and optimization of a corn cob based biofilter treating gas-phase mixture of MTBX
- 1Department of Nanotechnology, Dr. K.N. Modi University, Newai (Rajasthan), India
- 2Chemical Engineering Department, Lakshmi Narain College of Technology, Bhopal (M.P.), India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 7, Issue (8), Pages 26-36, August,18 (2017)
The complete performance of a corn cob biofilter inoculated with microbial culture was optimized for the treatment of polluted air containing gas phase of MTBX. The biofilter was operated for the period of 149 days and this time period was divided into five phases (I-V) to differentiate between the outputs of biofilter. On the removal efficiency (RE) and elimination capacity (EC), the effects of various parameters like gaseous concentration and flow rate were investigated. The removal efficiency was measured with respect to inlet concentration of each component of MTBX and the elimination capacity was varied with change in loading rate of gaseous mixture. The maximum RE in MTBX was of n-butyle acetate (BA) with 99.98% with respect to inlet concentration of 0.118992 gm-3 while the minimum RE was of o-xylene with 98.21% for the concentration of .0.189568 gm-3. In case of EC the maximum value was obtained as 86.27 g m-3 h-1 for n-butyle acetate at the highest value of inlet load of 114.69 g -3 h-1. By performing an analysis of variance the results were statistically interpreted to elucidate the main and interaction effects.
- Ondiaka M.N., Mutua J.M., Gitau A.N. and Njoroge B.N.K. (2012)., Quantitative structure-activity relationship biodegradability modeling in biofiltration of petroleum volatile organic compounds., J. Environ. Res.Manag., 3(5), 99-107.
- Ni Ji-Qin (2015)., Research and demonstration to improve air quality for the U.S. animal feeding operations in the 21st century - A critical review., Environ. Pollution., 200, 105-119.
- Raghuvanshi S. and Babu B.V. (2009)., Experimental studies and kinetic modeling for removal of methyl ethyl ketone using biofiltration., Bioresource Technol, 100(17), 3855-3861.
- Chang S., Lu C., Hsu S., Lai H.-T., Shang W.-L., Chuang Y.-S., Cho C.-H. and Chen S.-H. (2011)., Treatment of waste gas from the breather vent of a vertical fixed roof p-xylene storage tank by a trickle-bed air biofilter., Bioresour. Technol., 102(2), 1028-1034.
- Chan W.-C. and Lai Y.Z. (2008)., Kinetic characteristics of n-butyl alcohol and iso-butyl alcohol in a composite bead air biofilter., Bioresour. Technol., 99(10), 4380-4385.
- Li L., Lian J., Han Y. and Liu J. (2012)., A biofilter integrated with gas membrane separation unit for the treatment of fluctuating styrene loads., Bioresour. Technol., 111, 76-83.
- Singh R.S., Agnihotri S.S. and Upadhyay S.N. (2006)., Removal of toluene vapours using agro-waste as biofilter media., Bioresour. Technol., 97(18), 2296-2301.
- Mudliar S., Giri B., Padoley K., Satpute D., Dixit R., Bhatt R., Pandey R., Juwarkar A. and Vaidya A. (2010)., Bioreactors for treatment of VOCs and odours – a review., J. Environ. Manage., 91, 1039-1054.
- Rene E.R., Kar S., Krishnan J., Pakshirajan K., Lopez M.E., Murthy D.V.S. and Swaminathan T. (2015)., Start-up, performance and optimization of a compost biofilter treating gas-phase mixture of benzene and toluene., Bioresource Technol., 190, 529-535.
- Devinny J.S., Deshusses M.A. and Webster T.S. (1999)., Biofiltration for Air Pollution Control., Lewis Publisher, Boca Raton, Florida.
- Rene E.R., Mohammad B.T., Veiga M.C. and Kennes C. (2012)., Biodegradation of BTEX in a fungal biofilter: influence of operational parameters, effect of shock loads and substrate stratification., Bioresour. Technol., 116, 204-213.
- Estrade J.M., Hernandez S., Mun oz R. and Revah S. (2013)., A comparative study of fungal and bacterial biofiltration treating a VOC mixture., J. Hazard. Mater., 250-251, 190-197.
- kumar Ashok S., Saravanan V. and Rajasimman M. (2015)., Biotreatment of waste gas containing MEK in a using agro based biofilter., Inter. J. Chem. Tech. Research., 8, 358-367.
- Singh R.S., Rai B.N. and Upadhyay S.N. (2010)., Removal of toluene vapour from the air stream using a biofilter packed with polyurethane foam., Process Safety Environ. Prot., 88(5), 366-371.