Synthesis and characterization of 2-[(hydroxy(4-nitrophenyl) methyl] cyclohexanone for its potential application as off-on fluorescent sensor for selective cadmium detection
- 1Department of Chemistry, University of Malakand, Chakdara, Lower Dir, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
- 2Department of Chemistry, University of Malakand, Chakdara, Lower Dir, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
- 3Department of Chemistry, University of Malakand, Chakdara, Lower Dir, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
- 4Department of Chemistry, University of Malakand, Chakdara, Lower Dir, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
- 5Department of Chemistry, University of Malakand, Chakdara, Lower Dir, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 7, Issue (8), Pages 7-18, August,18 (2017)
2-[hydroxy(4-nitrophenyl)methyl]cyclohexanone (R) has been synthesized, purified (column chromatography) and characterized by 1H NMR. The fluorescence properties of chemosensor (R) were studied in acetonitrile for the sensing of alkali, alkaline and transition metal ions (Mg2+, Cd2+, Ni2+, Zn2+, Ba2+, Co2+, Cu2+, Pb2+, Na1+). Interaction of Cd2+ with chemosensor R displayed a significant fluorescence enhancement as compared to other examined cations. Maximum emission was observed at pH 10. According to job’s plot analysis binding ratio of the complex R-Cd2+ was found to be 1:1. No significant interference was observed in the presence of competitive metal ions. The fluorescence of chemosensor R exhibits a good linear fluorescent response towards Cd2+ in the range 1-140 µM. The chemosensor R showed good binding constant to Cd2+ calculated as 1×106 M-1 using Benesi-Hilderbrand equation. The synthesized fluorescent chemosensor R was used successfully to determine Cd2+ in aqueous solution with a detection limit in µ range.
- Belete T., Fekadu C., Solomon M. and Shimelis A. (2016)., Adsorption of Pb (II) ions from aqueous solutions using lignin from Hagenia Abbyssinica., Bull. Chem. Soc. Ethio., 30(3), 473-484.
- Bernard A. (2008)., Cadmium and its adverse health effects on humans., Indian. J. Med. Res., 128(4), 557-564.
- Singh B.R. and McLaughlin M.J. (1999)., Cadmium in Solis and Plants., Springer, Netherlands, 257-267. ISBN: 978-94-011-4473-5
- Lu C., Xu Z., Cui J., Zhang R. and Qian X. (2007)., Ratiometric and highly selective fluorescent sensor for cadmium under physiological pH range: A new strategy to discriminatecadmium from zinc., J. Org. Chem., 72(9), 3554-3557.
- Waalkes M.P. (2003)., Cadmium carcinogenesis., Mutat. Res., 533(1-2), 107-120.
- Friberg L. (1984)., Cadmium and the kidney., Environ. Health. Perspect., 54, 1-11. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- Wei W., Ying-mu Z., Yao-xian L. and Qing Z. (2013)., Easily accessible and highly selective “Turn-on” fluorescent sensor for imaging cadmium in living cells., Chem. Res. Chin. Univ., 29(4), 632-637.
- Godt J., Scheidig F., Grosse-Siestrup C., Esche V., Brandenburg P., Reich A. and Groneberg A.D. (2006)., The toxicity of cadmium and resulting hazards for human health., J. Occup. Med. Toxicol., 1, 1-22.
- Nasser G. (2009)., Solvent microextraction-Flame atomic absorption spectroscopy (SME-FAAS) for determination of ultratrace amounts of cadmium in meat and fish samples., J. Agric. Food Chem., 57(3), 1099-1104.
- Liu W.H., Jiang J.S.U. and Shin-Hung L.H.S. (1999)., Determination of cadmium, mercury and lead in seawater by electrothermal vaporization isotope dilution inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometr., Spectrochim. Acta B., 54(9), 1367-1375.
- Bruland W.K. and Coale H.K. (1985)., Analysis of seawater for dissolved cadmium, copper and lead:an intercomparison of voltammetric and atomic absorption methods., Mar. Chem., 17(4), 285-300.
- Sahan A., Banerjee A., Lohar S., Guha S., Das S.K., Mukhopadhyay K.S. and Das D. (2012)., Cd(II)-triggered excimer–monomer conversion of a pyrene derivative: time dependent red-shift of monomer emission with cell staining application., Analyst., 137(17), 3910-3913.
- Coskun A. and Akkaya U.E. (2005)., Ion sensing coupled to resonance energy transfer: A highly selective and sensitive ratiometric fluorescent chemosensor for Ag(I) by a modular approach., J.Am.Chem.Soc., 127(30), 10464-10465.
- Ding L., Cui A.X., Han Y., Lu F. and Fang Y. (2007)., Sensing performance enhancement via chelating effect: A novel fluorescent film chemosensor for copper ions., J. Photochem. Photobiol A: Chem., 186(2-3), 143-150.Chattopadhyay N., Mallick A. and Sengupta S. (2006).
- Gunnlaugsson T., Lee C.T. and Parkesh R. (2003)., Cd(II) sensing in water using novel aromatic iminodiacetate based fluorescent chemosensors., Org. Lett., 5(22), 4065-4068.
- Xiaojun P., Jianjun D., Jiangli F., Jingyun W., Yankou W., Sun Shiguo, Xu Tao and Jianzhang Z. (2007)., A selective fluorescent sensor for imaging Cd2+in living cells., J. Am. Chem. Soc., 129(6), 1500-1501.
- Thomas C.N., Muhammad N.U. and Ahtaram B. (2010)., Picolylamine as an organocatalyst for highly diastereo- and enantioselective aqueous aldol reactions., Org. Biomol. Chem., 8(18), 4085-4089.
- Kaya I. and Kamac M. (2013)., Highly selective and stable fluorescent sensor for Cd(II) based on Poly(azomethine-urethane)., J. Floresc., 23(1), 115-121.
- Yao Y., Zhongyue S., Zhilong Z. and Haibing Li. (2011)., Quinoline-triazole linked gold nanoparticle as sensitive ‘Turn on’ fluorescent Cd2+ probe., Nanotechnology., 22(43), 1-5.
- Chao-rui L., Jing-can Q., Bao-dui W., Long F., Jun Y. and Zheng-yin Y. (2016)., A chromone-derived Schiff-base ligand as Al3+ turn on fluorescent sensor: synthesis and spectroscopic properties., J. Flouresc., 26(1), 345-353.
- Shi-Rong L. and Shu-Pao W. (2012)., New water-soluble highly selective fluorescent chemosensor for iron (III) ions and its application to living cell imaging., Sens. Actuators B-Chem., 171-172, 1110-1116. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.nsb.2012.06.04
- Luca P., Marco M., Nelsi Z., Jerald S.B., Reed M.I. and Paul B.S. (2001)., Characterization of 5-chloro-8-methoxyquinoline appendeddiaza-18-crown-6 as a chemosensor for cadmium., Tetrahedron Lett., 42(16), 2941-2944.
- Priyanka G. and Diganta K.D. (2012)., A new highly sensitive and selective fluorescent cadmium sensor., J. Fluoresc., 22(1), 391-395.
- Soyoung S. and Jinsung T. (2011)., Rhodamine cyclen-based fluorescent chemosensor for the detection of Cd2+., Bull. Korean. Chem. Soc., 32(8), 2928-2932.
- Hong-Yuan L., Jian-Hui J., Xiao-Bing Z., Chun-Yan L., Guo-Li S. and Ru-Qin Y. (2007)., Synthesis of porphyrine-appended tetpyridine as a chemosensor for cadmium based on fluorescent enhancement., Talanta., 72(2), 575-581.
- Mathieu S., Vincent S., Isabelle L. and Bernard V. (2008)., Rhod-5N as a fluorescent molecular sensor of cadmium (II) ion., J. Fluoresc., 18(6), 1077-1082.