Estimation of nickel emission in the urban environment of an industrial city Bhilai, India
- 1Bhilai Institute of Technology Raipur, Kendri, NH-43, New Raipur-493661, Chhattisgarh, India
- 2Department of Chemistry, Shri shankaracharya Technical Campus, Bhilai-490020 Chhattisgarh, India
- 3Department of Chemistry, Bhilai Institute of Technology, Durg-491001, Chhattisgarh, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 7, Issue (8), Pages 1-6, August,18 (2017)
Air and rainwater samples were collected in Durg (Chhattisgarh) at sampling site Bhilai Institute of Technology and concentration of nickel was investigated. The obtained concentration was compared with the results which were obtained in 1998 by another study. The concentration of nickel was found higher than data of 1998. The obtained result represented that nickel was present in rain water as well as in air in considerable amount but did not exceeded their legislative limit. The concentration of nickel in air was found between the ranges of 0.87 ng/m3 to 215.4 ng/m3 and in rainwater the range of nickel was found between 312 ng/l to 584 ng/l. The objective of this paper is to estimation and regular monitoring of nickel in the ambient air and in rain water of industrial city during particular time period.
- ATSDR (1997)., Toxicological Profile for Nickel (Update)., Public Health Service, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA.
- Alloway B.J. (1995)., Heavy Metals in Soils (2nd edn.)., London: Blackie Academic & Professional.
- WHO (2000)., Air quality guidelines for Europe., Copenhagen.
- Goyer R. (1991)., Toxic effects of metals., Casareh and Doull
- Coogan T.P., Latta D.M., Snow E.T., Lawrence A. and Costa M. (1989)., Toxicity and carcinogenicity of nickel compounds., Crit. Rev. Toxicol, 19(4), 341-384.
- Beauregard Dennis and Emission Inventory Branch (1994)., Locating and Estimating Air Emissions from Sources of Toluene., United States Office of Air Quality Environmental Protection Planning and Standards Agency Research Triangle Park, NC 27711.
- Environment Agency (2009)., Contaminants in soil: updated collation of toxicological data and intake values for humans., Nickel. Science Report SC050021/SR TOX8. Bristol: Environment Agency.
- Von Burg R. (1997)., Nickel and some nickel compounds., J. Appl Toxicol, 17(6), 425-431.
- Chervona Y., Arita A. and Costa M. (2012)., Carcinogenic metals and the epigenome: understanding the effect of nickel, arsenic, and chromium., Metallomics, 4(7), 619-627. doi: 10.1039/c2mt20033c. Epub 2012 Apr 3. Review.
- Nriagu J.O. and Pacyna J.M. (1988)., Quantitative assessment of worldwide contamination of air, water and soils by trace metals., Nature, 333, 134-139.
- Mukherjee A.B. (1998)., Nickel: a review of occurrence, uses, emissions, and concentration in the environment in Finland., Environ Rev, 6(3-4), 173-187.
- Pacyna J.M. and Pacyna E.G. (2001)., An assessment of global and regional emissions of trace metals to the atmosphere from anthropogenic sources worldwide., Environ Rev, 9, 269-298.
- Pacyna E.G., Pacyna J.M., Fudala J., Strzelecka-Jastrzab E., Hlawiczka S. and Panasiuk D. (2007)., Current and future emissions of selected heavy metals to the atmosphere from anthropogenic sources in Europe., Atmos Environ, 41(38), 8557-8566.
- Tian H.Z., Cheng L.Lu. K., Hao J.M., Zhao D., Wang Y., Jia W.X. and Qiu P.P. (2012)., Anthropogenic atmospheric nickel emissions and its distribution characteristics in China., Science of the Total Environment, 417-418, 148-157.
- Pandey P.K. (1998)., Analytical studies on atmospheric deposition., (Ph.D. Thesis) Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University of Raipur, India.
- Bencko V. (1983)., Nickel: A review of its occupational and environmental toxicology., J. Hyg. Epidem. Micro. Immun, 27(2), 237-247.
- Spectrum. Chemical fact sheet. Nickel, (1998)., undefined, undefined
- Environment Minister’s Directive, (2003). (Polish) Web site: http://bap- psp.lex.pl/serwis/du/2003/0012.htm., undefined, undefined
- Blum E.D. (1984)., Nickel and Chromium Levels in Oils., Union Oil to Lahre, T., U.S. EPA.
- Koponen M., Gustafsson Tom, Kalliomäki Pirkko-Liisa and Pyy Lauri (1981)., Chromium and Nickel Aerosols in Stainless Steel Manufacturing, Grinding, and Welding., American Industrial Hygiene Journal, 42(8), 596-601.
- Radian Corporation (1980)., Industry Profile-Phase I Study of Nickel., 1. August 31, (Prepared for Occupational Safety and Health Administration under Contract No. J-9-F-9-0007). 90-105.
- Lim M.Y. (1979)., Trace Elements from Coal Combustion – Atmospheric Emissions., IEA Coal Research Report No. ICTIS/TROS. London, England. 17-24.90. 4-18-166.
- Baig S., Haro M., Richard G., Sarro T. and Wolf S. (1981)., Conventional Combustion Environmental Assessment., (Prepared for U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, NC.) EPA Contract No. 68-02-3138, 3-53.
- Gupta Sunita (2011)., Study on the Flora and Soil of Central East India For Pollution Indication or Remediation and Other Novel Chemical Properties., (Unpublished Ph.D. Thesis). CSVTU Bhilai, India.
- Technical report no.3 (2002)., Review of data on heavy metals in ambient air in Australia., Environment Australia. ISBN 0 6425 4781 5.
- Adelekan B.A. and Abegunde K.D. (2011)., Heavy metals contamination of soil and groundwater at automobile mechanic villages in Ibadan, Nigeria., International Journal of the Physical Sciences, 6(5), 1045-1058.
- Kar D., Sur P., Mandal S.K., Saha T. and Kole R.K. (2008)., Assessment of Heavy Metal Pollution in Surface Water., Int. J. Environ. Sci. Tech., 5(1), 119-124.
- Zorana K.G., Danijela B. and Ivana U. (2008)., Trace metals (Cd, Pb, Cu, Zn and Ni) in sediment of the submarine pit Dragon ear (Soline Bay, Rogoznica, Croatia)., Springer-Verlag, Environ Geol, 58(4), 751. DOI 10.1007/s00254-008, 1549-9.
- Prohic E. and Juracic M. (1989)., Heavy Metals in Sediments-Problems Concerning Determination of the Antropogenic Influence. Study in the Krka River Estuary, Eastern Adriatic Coast, Yugoslavia., Environ Geol Water Sci., 13(2), 145-151.
- Jinwal A., Dixit S. and Malik S. (2009)., Some trace Elements Investigation in Ground Water of Bhopal & Sehore District in M. P. India., J. Appl. Sci. Environ. Manage., 13(4), 47-50. JASEM ISSN 1119-8362.
- Environmental Agency (2007)., Environmental Concentrations of Heavy Metals in UK Soil and Herbage. UK soil and herbage pollutant survey., Bristol: Environ. Agency, 7.
- Dojlido J.R. and Best G.A. (1993)., Chemistry of Water and Water Pollution., Chemistry of water and water pollution, Ellis Horwood Limited, NewYork.
- Zerbe J., Sobczynski T. and Siepak J. (1995)., Metale Ciezkie Wosadach Dennych, Ich Specjacja Na Drodze Ekstrakcji Sekwencyjnej., Ekologia Technia, 3(3), 7-12.
- Pandey P.K., Patel K.S. and Subrut P. (1998)., Trace elemental composition of atmospheric particulate at Bhilai in central- east India., The science of total environment. 215(1-2), 123-134.
- Profumo A., Spini G., Cucca L. and Pesavento M. (2003)., Determination of Inorganic Nickel Compounds in the Particulate Matter of Emissions and Workplace Air by Selective Sequential Dissolutions., Talanta, 61(4), 465-472.