Studies of Heavy metals (Pb, Cd, Mn, Cu, Ni) in drinking water sources in Mysuru City, Karnataka, India
- 1Food safety and Analytical Quality Control Laboratory, CSIR-CFTRI, Mysuru, India
- 2Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana, Ambala, Haryana, India
- 3EIRA Division, CSIR-NEERI, Nagpur, India
- 4Department of Chemistry, Institute of Science, Nagpur, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 7, Issue (5), Pages 1-6, May,18 (2017)
The present study was carried out to estimate the concentration of heavy metals (Pb, Cd, Mn, Cu & Ni) in drinking water collected from different fields located in Mysuru, Karnataka. Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer was used to determine the concentration of heavy metals. The purpose of study was to assess heavy metals in drinking water and determining human health associated water contamination by heavy metals. The result show that average heavy metals in drinking water sample in winter seasons followed a descending order Mn>Cu>Ni>Pb>Cd and summer seasons followed a descending order Mn>Cu>Ni>Pb>Cd. It was observed that heavy metals not exceeded the maximum permissible limits in drinking water as specified by regulatory bodies except cadmium which was below standard and pollution index result confirmed significant pollution of Manganese and copper.
- Tchounwou Paul B., Yedjou Clement G., Patlolla Anita K. and Sutton Dwayne J. (2012)., Heavy Metals Toxicity and the Environment., Molecular, clinical and environmental toxicology, 101, 133-164. doi:10.1007/978-3-7643-8340-4_6.
- Sharma Bhavtosh and Tyagi Shweta (2013)., Simplification of metal ion analysis in fresh water sample by Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy for laboratory student., J. of Lab Chemical Education, 1(3), 54-58.
- WHO (World Health Organization) (1958)., International Standard for Drinking water., Geneva, WHO.
- Serife T.S., Kartal and Latif E. (2008)., Determination of Heavy Metal and their AAS after a four stage sequential extraction procedure., Analytical Chemica Act, 413, 31-41.
- WHO/UNICEF Estimated data from WHO/UNICEF (2012)., Joint monitoring programme (JMP) for water supply and sanitation., Progress on Sanitation and drinking water, update World.
- Fatoye A.O and Gbadegesin K.A.J. (2013)., Assessment of heavy metals in drinking water (Hand bug well) in Oye Ekiti, Nigeria., Int. J. of Sci. & Res. (IJSR), 2319-7064.
- Doddaiah Shivakumar, swamy Srikanta S., Sreenivasa Budiguppe and Mahadevaiah Kiran (2012)., Speciation and Geochemical Behaviour of heavy metals in Industrial area soil of Mysore City, India., J. of Environmental Protection, 3, 1384-1392.
- Mohod Chaitali V. and Dhote J. (2013)., Review of Heave Metal in drinking water and their effect on human health., Int. J. of Innovative Res. In Sci. Engg. And tech., 2(7), 2992-2996.
- Duffus John H. (2002)., Heavy Metals – a meaningless term., (International Union of pure applied chemistry technical report) pure and applied chemistry, 74(5), 793-807.
- Hseu Z. (2004)., Evaluating heavy metal contents in nine composts using four digestion methods., Bioresource Technology, 95(1), 53-59.
- Soheil S., Ahmad Reza Yari, Lobat Taghavi and Limi Taydoi (2016)., Water quality pollution indices to Assess the Heave Metal contamination case study: Ground water resources of Asadabad plain in 2012., Arch. Hyg. Sci., 5(4), 221-228.
- Mohan S.V. Nithila P. and Reddy S.J. (1996)., Estimation of heavy metal in drinking water and development of heavy Metal pollution index., J. of Environmental Sci. and Heath Part A, 31(2), 283-289.
- World Health Organization (2011)., Guideline for drinking water quality., 4th Edition.
- Indian Standard (2012)., Bureau of Indian Standards drinking water specification., IS 10500/2012. New Delhi, India.
- EPA (2011)., Sampling and analysis of water, waste waters, soils and wastes., Retrieved March 13, 2011, http: //www.epa.vic.gov.au/~/media/publication/IWRC,701.pdf
- Health Organization (WHO) (1997)., Guidelines for drinking water quality, health Criteria and other supporting information., 2, 2nd Edn. WHO, Geneva.
- Clesscerl L.S, Greenberg A.E and Eaton A.D. (2012)., Standard methods for Examination of water and waste water., 22nd Edn. American Public Health Association Washington DC 2012.
- Niragu J.O and Pacyna J. (1988)., Quantitative Assessment of worldwide contamination of Air, water and soil by trace metals., Nature, 333(6169), 134-139.
- Rizawan R., Gurdeep S. and Kumar Manish J. (2011)., Application of heavy metal pollution index for ground water quality assessment in Angul District of Orissa, India., Int. J. of Res. In Chemistry & Envrionment, 1(2), 118-122.
- Etchie Ayotunde Titilayo, Adewuyi Gregory Olufemi and Etchie Tunde Ogbemi (2012)., Chronic exposure to heavy Metal in public water supply and human health risk assessemnet., Terrestrial and aquatic environmental toxicology, 6(2), 106-111.
- Nalawade P.M, Bholay A.D. and Mule M.B. (2012)., Assessment of Ground water and surface water quality indices for heave metal nearby area of parli thermal power plant., universal. J. of Env. Res. & Tech., 2(1), 47-51.
- Prasad B., Kumari P., Bano S. and Kumari S. (2014)., Ground water quality evaluation near mining area and development of Heavy metal pollution index., Applied water science, 4(1), 11-17.
- Zeng G., Liang J., Guo S., Shi L., Xiang L., Li X. and Du C. (2009)., Spatial analysis of human health risk associated with ingesting manganese in Huangxing town middle China., Chemosphere, 77(3), 368-375.
- USEPA (2010)., Drinking water contaminants, National Primary drinking water regulation., http://water.epa.gov/ drink/contaminants/index.cton
- Bhaskar C. Vijaya, Kumar k. and Nagendrappa G. (2010)., Assessment of heave metal in water samples of certain locations situated around Tumkur, Karnataka, India., Journal of Chemistry, 7(2), 349-352.
- Soylak M., Aydin Armagan F., Sarasoglu S., Elci L. and Dogan M. (2002)., Chemical Analysis of drinking water samples from Yozgat, Turkey., Polish J. of Env. Studies, 11(2), 151-156.
- Dutta Shantanu K., Upadhyay V.P. and Sridharan U. (2006)., Environmental Management of Industrial Hazardous waste in India., J. of Environ. Sci. & Engg., 48(2), 143-150.
- Sinha Deepak (2013)., Effect of toxic metal water pollution on Humans in central India., J. of Academia and industrial Res. (JAIR), 2(4), 249.