Synthesis, spectral, thermal and biological studies of some unsymmetrical Schiff base metal complexes
- 1Department of Chemistry, Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University Amravati-444 602, MS, India
- 2Department of Chemistry, Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University Amravati-444 602, MS, India
- 3Department of Chemistry, Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University Amravati-444 602, MS, India
- 4Department of Chemistry, Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University Amravati-444 602, MS, India
- 5Department of Chemistry, Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University Amravati-444 602, MS, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 7, Issue (1), Pages 8-12, January,18 (2017)
Unsymmetrical tetradentate Schiff base derived from Salicylaldehyde, 2-hydroxy-3-methoxy benzaldehyde and ethylenediamine and its complexes with VO(IV), Cr(III), Mn(III), Fe(III) and UO2(VI) have been prepared. These complexes have been characterized by elemental analysis, IR and electronic spectra, magnetic moments, XRD and thermal analysis. The complexes are colored and stable in air at room temperature. The thermal behavior of metal complexes shows that the hydrated complexes loses water molecules of hydration in the first step; followed by decomposition of ligand molecule in the subsequent steps leaving behind metal oxide as end product. The IR spectra suggest that ligand behaves as bi-negative tetradentate nature with ONNO donor sequence sites of the azomethine nitrogen and phenolic oxygen towards central metal ion. The solid state electrical conductivity of compounds was measured by two probe method over 313-403 K temperature range. Solid state electrical conductivity studies reflect semiconducting behavior of the compounds in the studied temperature range as their conductivity increases with increase in temperature. The powder XRD analysis of VO (IV) complex suggests the triclinic crystal system. The ligand and its complexes were screened for their biological activity against bacteria E. coli , S. abony, S. aureus and B. subtilis by the agar well diffusion method and most of complexes were found to be moderately active against the organisms.
- Priyarega S., Prabhakaran R., Aranganayagam K.R, Karvembu R. and Natarajan K. (2007)., Synthetic and catalytic investigations of ruthenium (III) complexes with triphenylphosphine/triphenylarsine and tridentate Schiff base., Appl. Organomet. Chem., 21, 788-793.
- Shibuya Y., Nabari K., Kondo M., Yasue S., Maeeda K., Uchida F. and Kawaguchi H. (2008)., The Copper(II) Complex with Two Didentate Schiff Base Ligands. The Unique Rearrangment that Proceeds under Alcohol Vapor in the Solid State to Construct Noninclusion Structure., Chem. Lette, 37, 78-79.
- Maurya M.R., Bharti N., Naqvi F. and Azam A. (2002)., Synthesis and antiamoebic activity of new cyclooctadiene ruthenium (II) complexes with 2-acetylpyridine and benzimidazole derivatives., Bio-Inorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 10, 2243-45.
- Li J., Xu B., Jiang W., Zhou B., Zeng W. and Qin S. (2008)., Catalytic epoxidation performance and dioxygen affinities of unsymmetrical Schiff base transition–metal complexes with pendant aza-crown or morpholino groups., Trans. Met. Chem., 33, 975-979.
- Minnersand J.O. and Sinn E. (1973)., Alkoxy and Phenoxy Bridged Dimeric Copper(II) Complexes with Salicylaldimine Ligands., Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn, 46, 1457-1461.
- Cros G. and Laurent J.P. (1988)., Unusual dinuclear copper(II) and nickel(II) complexes of a novel Schiff base deriving from 2-aminoethanol., Inorg. Chim. Acta,142, 113-117.
- Costes J.P., Dahan F. and Laurent J.P. (1984)., Experimental proof of the existence of the “half-unit” 7-amino-4-methyl-5-aza-3-heptene-2-one (aeh). Crystal structure of a novel dibromo-bridged dicopper(ii) complex (cuaebr)2., J. Coord, Chem., 13, 355-362.
- Golchoubian H. , Nazari O. and Kariuki B. (2010)., A new copper(II) complex of unsymmetrical tetradentate ligand generated in situ: synthesis and molecular structure., Inorganica Chimica Acta.
- Jebbar-Sid S.D., Benali-Baitich O. and Deloume J.D. (1997)., Synthesis, characterization and electrochemical behaviour of some copper(II) complexes with linear and tripodal tetradentate ligands derived from Schiff bases., Polyhedron, 16, 2175-2182.
- Christensen O.T. (1901)., Studies of Manganese compounds, Manganese acetate (II) and alums of manganese., Z.Anorg. Allg. Chem., 27, 321-340.
- Singh D.P., Kumar K. and Sharma C. (2009)., Antimicrobial active macrocyclic complexes of Cr(III), Mn(III) and Fe(III) with their spectroscopic approach., Eur. J. Med. Chem., 44, 3299-3304.
- Yaul A.R., Dhande V.V., Suryawanshi N.J. and Aswar A.S. (2009)., Synthesis, Structural Investigation and Biological Studies of Some Transition Metal Chelates of Acid Hydrazone., Polish J. Chem,83, 565-572.
- Maurya M.R., Khurana S., Schulzke C. and Rehder D. (2001)., Dioxo- and Oxovanadium(V) Complexes of Biomimetic Hydrazone ONO Donor Ligands: Synthesis, Characterisation, and Reactivity., Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 3, 779-788.
- Nakamota (1970)., Infrared Spectra of Inorganic and Coordination Compounds., New York, Willey.
- Hay R.W. and Hassan M.M. (1997)., Copper(II), nickel(II) and zinc(II) complexes of N,N′,N″,N″, Polyhedron, 16, 2205-2216.
- Adam D.M. (1967)., Metal Ligand and Related Vibrations., London, Arnold.
- Nag J.K., Pal S. and Sinha C. (2005)., Synthesis and characterization of cobalt(II), nickel(II), copper(II), palladium(II) and dioxouranium(VI) complexes of the antipyrine Schiff base of 3-formylsalicylic acid., Trans. Met. Chem., 30, 523-526.
- Maurya R.C., Mishra D.D. and Pillai V. (1995)., Studies on Some Novel Mixed-Ligand Oxovanadium (IV) Complexes Involving Acetylacetone and Nitrogen or Oxygen Donor Organic Compounds., Synth. React. Inorg. Met. Org. Chem., 25, 1127-1141.
- Dubey R.K., Dubey U.K. and Mishra C.M. (2008)., Synthesis and physicochemical characterization of some Schiff base complexes of chromium (III)., Indian J. Chem., 47A, 1208-1212.
- Howlader M.B.H, Islam M.S. and Karim M.R. (2000)., Synthesis of some 16-membered macrocyclic complexes of chrornium(III), manganese(II), iron(III), cobalt(II), nickel(II) and copper(II) containing a tetraoxooctaazacyclohexadecane ligand., Indian J. Chem., 39A, 407-409.
- Hui W., Zcnglu L., Yulan Z. and Shaozu W. (1995)., New Metal Complexes Derived From 1-Ferrocenecarbonyl-4-Phenyl-3-Thiosemicarbazide with some Transition Metal Ions., Synth. React. Inorg. Met. Org. Chem., 25, 1143-1153.
- Mishra A.P. and Pandey L.R. (2005)., Synthesis, characterization and solid state structural studies of oxovanadium (IV) – O, N donor Schiff base chelates., Indian J. Chem., 44A, 94-97.
- Katon J.E. (1968)., Organic Semiconducting Polymers., New York, Marcel Dekker(Ed).
- Koca M., Dagdelen F. and Aydogdy Y. (2004)., Thermal and optical properties of benzofuran-2-yl 3-phenyl-3-methylcyclobutyl thiosemicarbazone., Matter. Lett., 58, 2901-2905.
- Berrington A. and Gould F.K. (2001)., Use of antibiotic locks to treat colonized central venous catheters., J. Antimicrob. Chemother, 48 (5), 597-603.
- Singh D.P., Kumar R. and Singh J. (2009)., Synthesis and spectroscopic studies of biologically active compounds derived from oxalyldihydrazide and benzil, and their Cr(III), Fe(III) and Mn(III) complexes., Eur. J. Med. Chem., 44, 1731-1736.