Levels of Heavy Metals in the Effluents of Forcados Terminal from Delta State
- 1Department of Environmental Technology, Federal University of Technology Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria
- 2Department of Environmental Technology, Federal University of Technology Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (8), Pages 20-23, August,18 (2016)
Levels of heavy metals in the effluent samples from Forcados Terminal in Warri, Delta State were studied from May 2008 to June 2009. Effluent samples were collected from the two Barge Jetties A and B and Two Saver Pits 1 and 2 inside the tank farm. A total of 96 effluent samples were collected throughout the study period. The levels of heavy metals of the effluent samples were determined using Hach methods as recommended by the American Public Health Association (APHA) and American Society for Testing and Material (ASTM). The results of the heavy metals tested showed that most of the parameters tested complied with their respective DPR and FEMENV Limits for nearshore environments. There was statistical difference at p &
- Hogan C.M. (2010)., Heavy metal. Encycolopedia of Earth. National council for science and the environment., Washington DC.
- Duffus J.H. (2002)., Heavy metals term (IUPAC Technical report)., Pure and Applid Chemistry, 74, 793-807.
- Adeyinka J.S. (1996)., Waste water treatment through reverse osmosis., Env. Monitoring and Assessment. 22 Ė 37.
- Kakulu S.E. and Osibanjo O. (1991)., Pollution Studies of the Nigerian Rivers Trace metal levels of surface water in the Niger Delta area., Intíl. J. Environ. Stud. Anal. Chem., 30, 209-217.
- APHA (2002)., Standard methods for the examination of water and waste water., 20th Ed. American public health association (APHA).
- ASTM E. (1986)., American Society for Testing and Materials., Annual Book of ASTM Standards, 11.01, Philadelphia PA 19103, D 3559-85.
- Zhenbin Li and Larry M. Shuman (1996)., Heavy metals movement in metal contaminated soil profiles., Soil Sci., 10, 656-666.
- Horsefall M. Jnr., Spiff I.A. (1998)., Principles of Eviron., Chem. Metroprints Ltd, Port Harcourt, Nigeria, 30-62.
- Neff J.M. (2001)., Bioaccumulation in Marine Organisms. Effect of Contaminants from Oil Well Produced Water., Batelle Coastal Resources and Environmental Management, Duxbury, Massachusetts.
- Newman M.G. and Jagoe C.H. (1994)., Ligands and the bioavailability of metals in aquatic environments., Homelink, J.L., Landrum, P.F., Bergman, H.L and Benson W.H. (eds). Bioavailability: Physical, Chemical and Biological interactions. Lewis publishers, Boca Raton, FL, 396, 39-61.