Impact of Alkaline Earth Metal salts on the Thermodynamics of Clouding Behavior of Tween 80
- 1Department of Chemistry, JET’s Z.B. Patil College, Dhule-424002, MS, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (8), Pages 46-48, August,18 (2016)
The cloud point (CP) determination of non ionic surfactant in presence of additives is useful in the study of interaction between surfactant and additive. Polyoxyethylene (20) sorbitan mono-oleate (Tween 80) was used as surfactant and chlorides of some alkaline earth metals like magnesium, calcium, strontium and barium were used as additives. The addition of these additives in Tween 80 solution caused decrease in cloud point of the surfactant. The influence of alkaline earth metal salts on the cloud point of Tween 80 indicates that the clouding phenomenon results in merging of different micelle. The thermodynamic parameters of clouding process (&
- Schott H. (1969)., Hydrophile-Lipophile Balance and Cloud Points of Nonionic Surfactants., J. Pharmac. Sci., 58(12), 1443-1449.
- Nakagawa T and Shinoda K (1963)., Colloidal Surfactants., Academic Press, New York, Chapter 2, 97–178. ISBN 10: 0126400504.
- Ghosh S and Moulik S.P. (1999)., The clouding behaviours of binary mixtures of polyoxyethylene(10)cetylether (Brij-56) with polyvinyl alcohol(PVA) and methyl cellulose (MC)., Indian J Chem., 38(A), 201-208.
- Maclay W. N. (1956)., Factors affecting the solubility of nonionic emulsifiers., J Colloid. Sci., 11, 272-285.
- Arai H. (1967)., The relationship between the cloud points and the properties of micelles of nonionic detergents., J Colloid. Interface Sci., 23(3), 348-351.
- Schick M.J. (1962)., Surface films of nonionic detergents-I. Surface tension study., J Colloid. Sci., 17(9), 801-813.
- Doren A and Goldfarb J (1970)., Electrolyte effects on micellar solutions of nonionic detergents., J Colloid. Interface Sci., 32(1), 67-72.
- Mahajan R.K., Chawla J and Bakshi M. (2004)., Depression in cloud point of Tween in the presence of glycol additives and triblock polymers., Colloid Polym Sci., 282, 1165-1168.
- Kjellander R and Florin E. (1981)., Water structure and changes in thermal stability of the system poly (ethylene oxide)–water., J Chem Soc. Faraday Trans.1, 77(9), 2053-2077.
- Bhadane B.S. and Patil T.J. (2010)., Micellization studies on binary mixture of Methionine with Polyoxyethylene (10) Cetyl ether (Brij-56) and Polyoxyethylene (20) Cetyl ether (Brij-58)., E J Chem, 7(4), 1578-1583.
- Attwood D and Florence A.T. (1983)., Surfactant Systems., Chapman and Hall Ltd London, 99-100, ISBN: 0-412-14840-4.
- Patil T.J. and Patil H.A. (2005)., Thermodynamics of solubilization of Triton-X in pure and mixed system with Polyacrylamide., Int J Chem Sci., 3(3), 507-512.