Study the Effect of PVSA on the CMC of Brij-56 using Dye Solubilization Method
- 1Department of Chemistry, JETís ZulalBhilajirao Patil College, Deopur, Dhule - 424002 (MS) India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (7), Pages 25-28, July,18 (2016)
The micellization and solubilization phenomenon of non-ionic surfactants has been studied by various methods such as cloud point determination, surface tension measurement, dye solubilization etc. in presence and in absence of additives. The solubilization phenomenonfor non-ionic surfactant Brij-56 with the water insoluble orange OT dye has been discussed. The effect of additive polyelectrolyte PVSA on the critical micelle concentration (CMC) of non-ionic surfactant Brij-56 has been studied in aqueous medium by measuring the absorbance of the pure Brij-56 aqueous system as well as Brij-56 and PVSA mixed aqueous system with Orange-OT dye using dye solubilization method. The absorbance increases with increasing concentration of pure Brij-56 in aqueous medium with Orange-OTdye. The absorbance of Brij-56 and PVSAmixed aqueous systems with Orange-OTdye also show same trend. The results of the investigation verify that, the CMC of pure Brij-56 decreases with increasing concentration of additive PVSA in aqueous medium. Therefore the effect of additive PVSA on the CMC of Biij-56 support to made probable evidence that the dye solubilization is complex phenomenon of micelles aggregation of surfactant monomers so as to perform various surface activities.
- Shoji N., Ueno M. and Meguro K. (1976)., Determination of critical micelle concentrations of some surfactants by keto-enoltautomerism of benzoylacetone., Journal of The American OIL Chemist
- Dominguez A., Fernandez A., Gonzalez N., Iglesias E. and Montenegro L. (1997)., Determination of Critical Micelle Concentration of Some Surfactants by Three Techniques., Journal of Chemical Education, 74 (10), 1227-1231.
- Shinoda K. and Nakagawa T. (1963)., Colloidal Surfactants: Some Physicochemical Properties., Academic Press, New York, 9-15. Library of Congress Catalog Card no.62-13114.
- Goto R., Koizumi N., Hayama N. and Sugano T. (1953)., Micelle Formation of Non-ionic Surfactants. (I) Properties of Aqueous Solution of Polyoxyethylene mono-alkyl Ether., Bulletin of the Institute for Chemical Research, Kyoto University , 31(4), 285-294.
- McBain J.W., Merrill Jr. R.C. and Vinograd J.R. (1940)., Solubilizing and detergent action in non-ionizing solvents., J.Am. Chem. Soc., 62, 2880 -2881.
- Becher P. (1967)., Non-ionic Surfactants., M J Schick, Ed., Marcel Dekker, New York, N.Y.,478-482, , ISBN-0-8247-7530-9.
- Ross S. and Olivier J.P. (1959)., A New Method for the Determination of Critical Micelle Concentrations of Un-ionized Associations Colloids in Aqueous or in Non-aqueous Solution., J. Phys. Chem., 63(10), 1671Ė1674.
- Patil A.A. and Patil T.J. (2011)., Measurement of Critical Micelle Concentration of Technical Grade Non-ionic Detergent in Presence of Chloramine-T using Dye Solubilization Technique., Orient. J. of Chem., 27(2), 753-756.
- Han Lu. Qianru, Chen. Wang, Yu. Chuanbo, Gao. and Shunai. Che. (2011)., Synthesis of amino group functionalized monodispersedmesoporous silica nanospheres using anionic surfactant., Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 139(1-3), 94-103.
- Feng F., Coutinho D., Yang Z., Ferraris J.P. and Balkus Jr. Kenneth (2005)., Synthesis of proton conducting tungstosilicatemesoporous materials and polymer composite membranes., Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 81 (1-3), 217-234.
- Hayward R.C., Peter Alberius C.A., Kramer E.J. and Chmelka B.F. (2004)., Thin Films of Bicontinuous Cubic Mesostructured Silica Templated by a Nonionic Surfactant., Langmuir, 20(14), 5998-6004.
- Pourjavadi A. and Ghasemzadeh H. (2007)., Carrageenan-g-Poly (Acrylamide) / Poly (Vinylsulfonic Acid, Sodium Salt) as a Novel Semi-IPN Hydrogel: Synthesis, Characterization and Swelling Behavior., Polym. Engg. and Sci., 47(9), 1388-1395.
- Li J., Li H.Z., Yang H.Y., Zhu P.P. and He P.S. (2008)., Effects of NH4Cl on the interaction between poly(ethylene oxide) and ionic surfactants in aqueous solution., Chinese Journal of Polymer Science, 26(1), 31-37.
- Goddard, E. D. and Ananthapadmanabhan, Kavssery P. (1993)., Interactions of surfactants with polymers and proteins., CRC, Boca Raton, FL. pp123, ISBN-9780849367847.
- Saito S. (1989)., Non-ionic surfactants- Physical chemistry., Edited by M.J. Schick, Marcel Decker Inc. New York, 881-890, ISBN-0-8247-7530-9.
- Egan R.W. (1976)., Hydrophile-Lipophile Balance and Critical Micelle Concentration as Key Factors Influencing Surfactant Disruption of Mitochondrial Membranes., J. Biol. Chem., 251(14), 4442-4447.
- Patel J., Varade D. and Bahadur P. (2004)., Effect of tetraalkylammonium bromides on micellar behaviour of ionic and non-ionic surfactants., Ind. J. of Chemistry, 43(A), 715-721.