Polarographic Determination of Paracetamol by Calibration Method using Hydrocloric Acid and Different Maxima Suppressors
- 1Department of Chemistry, Brijlal Biyani Science College Amravati, Maharashtra, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (6), Pages 28-35, June,18 (2016)
Paracetamol is a common analgesic and antipyretic drug their determination in pharmaceuticals is of paramount importance, since an overdose of paracetamol can cause toxic effects. The aim of the present study is to do polarographic determination of paracetamol by calibration method using hydrocloric acid and different maxima suppressors such as fuchsion, methyl red, thymol blue and bromocresol green. According to the Ilkovic equation, with all other factors constant.i d = kC where k is a constant defined by Ilkovic equation. This relation is the foundation of quantitative polarographic analysis. Calibration method has been developed and applied for the determination of paracetamol present in some synthetic as well as medicinal samples using selected maxima suppressor-supporting electrolyte system. Polarograms of all system were recorded on D.C. Recording Polarograph using Omniscribe recorder between 200 to 1300 mV using Rotating Platinum micro Electrode as anode and Saturated Calomel Electrode as cathode. The oxidation of paracetamol at rotating platinum electrode is irreversible. Results obtained with synthetic as well as medicinal samples are in good agreement with the quoted values. The method is precise as indicated by low values of standard deviations. It is possible to carry out a polarographic analysis even in the presence of colouring matters and comparable amounts of other ingredients.
- Calatayud J.M., Pascual Marti M.C. and Vives S.S. (1986)., Determination of Paracetamol by a Flow Injection-Spectrophotometric Method., Analytical Letters, 19, 19-20, 2023-2038.
- Lau O.W., Luk S.F. and Cheung Y.M. (1989)., Simultaneous determination of ascorbic acid, caffeine and paracetamol in drug formulations by differential-pulse voltammetry using a glassy carbon electrode., Analyst, 9, 114, 1047-1051.
- Calatayud J.M. and Benito C.G. (1990)., Flow-injection spectrofluorimetric determination of paracetamol., Analytica Chimica Acta, 231, 259–264.
- Whelpton R., Fernandes K., Wilkinson K.A. and Goldhill D.R. (1993)., Determination of paracetamol (acetaminophen) in blood and plasma using high performance liquid chromatography with dual electrode coulometric quantification in the redox mode., Biomedical Chromatography, 7(2), 90–93.
- Walash M.I., El-Brashy A.M. and Sultan M.A. (1994)., Polarographic behaviour and determination of paracetamol and salicylamide after treatment with nitrous acid., Microchimica Acta, 113(1-2), 113-124.
- Bouhsain Z., Garrigues S. and Guardia M.D. (1997)., PLS-UV spectrophotometric method for the simultaneous determination of paracetamol, acetylsalicylic acid and caffeine in pharmaceutical formulations., Fresenius
- Alapont A.G., Zamora L.L. and Calatayud J.M. (1999)., Indirect determination of paracetamol in pharmaceutical formulations by inhibition of the system luminol–H2O2–Fe (CN)63− chemiluminescence., Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 21(2), 311–317.
- Ni Y., Wang Y. and Kokot S. (2004)., Differential Pulse Stripping Voltammetric Determination of Paracetamol and Phenobarbital in Pharmaceuticals Assisted by Chemometrics., Analytical Letters, 37(15), 3219-3235.
- Bosch M.E., Sánchez A.J.R., Rojas F.S. and Ojeda C.B., (2006)., Determination of paracetamol: Historical evolution., Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 42(3), 291–321.
- Wang S.F., Xie F. and Hu R.F. (2007)., Carbon-coated nickel magnetic nanoparticles modified electrodes as a sensor for determination of acetaminophen., Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 123(1), 495–500.
- Gupta S.N. (2014)., Effect of Supporting Electrolytes on Polarographic Anodic Waves of Paracetamol., International Proceedings of Chemical, Biology and Environmental Engineering, 78, 61-72
- Gupta S.N. (2014)., Effect of Maxima Suppressors on Polarographic Anodic Waves of Paracetamol., International Proceedings of Chemical, Biology and Environmental Engineering, 78, 77-87.
- Gupta S.N. (2014)., Polarographic Determination of Paracetamol in Pharmaceutical Preparations using 0.008% gelatin and 0.1 M HCIO4., International Proceedings of Chemical, Biology and Environmental Engineering, 78, 88-92.