Chemical Recycling of Some Plastic Polymers Wastes to New Oxidize Materials Using Chemical Oxidizing Process
- 1Polymer Research Lab, Chemistry Department, Science College, Mosul University, Mosul, Iraq
- 2Polymer Research Lab, Chemistry Department, Science College, Mosul University, Mosul, Iraq
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (6), Pages 19-27, June,18 (2016)
Chemical oxidization of polymers wastes that manufactured mainly from commodity plastics LDPE, HDPE, PP and PS were applied using different inorganic oxidize agents (KMnO4), (K2Cr2O7),(H5IO6), (KIO3) and (NH4)2Ce(SO4) in presence of oxalic acid , sulphuric acid , potassium hydroxide and water. The investigated polymers wastes were chemically oxidized either directly from solid or after thermal cracking from oil. Spectrophotometric studies of the polymers wastes and their oxidize materials were investigated. Chemical identification analyses of the produced materials after oxidation have shown appearance of a new functional groups distribute between carbonyl groups and carboxyl or hydroxyl groups. Obvious diminution in the average molecular weights of the polymers wastes and their softening points were recorded for their oxidize materials after oxidation. A comparison study in thermal behaviors of the polymers wastes and their oxidize materials were added another confirmations that the new oxidize materials formed have lowering their thermal stability after oxidation as it was shown along the thermogram scale. The oxidize waste materials were changed completely from elastic compositions to either solid has powder form or liquid with brown oily appearance.
- Fried J.R. (2005)., Polymer Science and Technology., Prentice – Hall of India Private limited, 2nd Ed., 274 – 277.
- Chan J.H. and Balke S.T. (1997)., The Thermal Degradation kinetic of Polypropylene: Part III. Thermogravimetric analyses., Polym. Degrad. Stabile, 57 (2), 135-149.
- Dogan F. (2012)., Polypropylene., In Tec, 63-86.
- Nakatani H., Suzuki S. and Tanaka T. (2005)., New kinetic Aspects on the Mechanism of Thermal Oxidative Degradation of Polypropylenes with Various Tacticities., Polymer, 46(11), 12366 – 12371.
- Khan J.A., Khan M.A. and Islam R. (2012)., Effect of Potassium Permangnate on Mechanical, Thermal and Degradation Characteristics of Jute Fabric- reinforced Polypropylene Composite., J. Reinfor. Plast. Compost., 31(24), 1725-1736.
- Gerenser L.J., Elman J.F., Mason M.G. and Pochan J.M. E.S.C.a. (1985)., Studies of Corona –Discharge-Treated Polyethylene Surfaces by Use of Gas-Phase Derivatization., Polymer, 26, 1162.
- Gerenser L.J.J. (1987)., X-ray Photoemission Study of Plasma Modified Polyethylene Surfaces., Adhes. Sci. Tech., 1(4), 303-318.
- Briggs D., Zichy V.J.I., Brewis D.M., Comyn J., Dahm R.H., Gree M.A. and Konieczk M.B. (1980)., X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy Studies of Polymer Surfaces, 4-Further Studies of the Chromic Acid Etching of Low Density Polyethylene., Surf. Interface Anal., 2(3), 107.
- Holmes Farley S.R., Reamey R.H., Mc carthy T.J. , Deutch J. and Whitesides G.M. (1985)., Acid-base Behavior of Carboxylic Acid Groups Covalently Attached at the Surface of Polyethylene: The Usefulness of Contact Angle in Following the Ionization of Surface Functionality., Langmuir, 1,725-740.
- Briggs D., Brewis D.M. and Konieczko M.B. (1976)., X-ray Photo Electron Spectroscopy Studies of Polymer Surfaces., Mater. Sci., 1270.
- Nardin M. and Ward I.M. (1987)., Influence of Surface Treatment on Adhesion of Polyethylene Fibres., Mater. Sci. Technol, 3, 814.
- Jellinek H.H.G. Ed. (1978)., Aspect of Degradation and Stabilisation of Polymer., Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Gowarikar V.R., Viswanathan N.V. and Sreedhar J. (1986)., Polymer Science., New Age International (p) Ltd., New Delhi, 264.
- Hsieh Y.L., Barrall G. and Xu S. (1992)., Effects of Oxidation on Mechanical and Physical Properties of Ultra-High-Modulus and Ultra-High-Molecular-Weight Polyethylene Fibers., Polymer, 33(3), 536-545.Chilias D.S.A, Roupakias C., Megalokonomos P., Lappas A.A. and Antonoakou E.V. (2007).
- Khan J.A., Khan M.A. and Islam R. (2013)., Mechanical, Thermal and Degradation Properties of Jute Fabric-reinforced Polypropylene Composites: Effect of Potassium Permanganate as Oxidizing., Agent, Polym. Compost. 34(5), 671- 680.