An Efficient Energy Transfer in Tb3+-Yb3+ pair co-doped Y2O3 Phosphors
- 1Department of Physics, S G B A U, Amravati 444602, India
- 2Department of Physics, S G B A U, Amravati 444602, India
- 3Department of Physics, S G B A U, Amravati 444602, India
- 4Department of Physics, S G B A U, Amravati 444602, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (6), Pages 6-10, June,18 (2016)
The phosphor Y2O3 (yttrium oxide) co-doped with Tb3+-Yb3+ ion pair had been prepared via co-precipitation route. Proper phase of material was established with X-ray diffraction (XRD) test. Also photoluminescence (PL) study was done with aid of fluorescence spectrophotometers Hitachi F7000 and FLS980 (Edinburgh photonics). In the present work the efficient energy transfer (ET) from Tb3+ ion to Yb3+ ion leading to near infra red emission (NIR) was studied in Y2O3 phosphor. The PL of as-synthesized phosphor shows single sharp emissions at 982 nm and 996 nm corresponding to f-f transitions of Yb3+ activator ions in Y2O3 phosphor at ultra-violet (UV) excitation wavelength of 306 nm. The dominating near IR photons emission at 982 nm from Yb3+ ion obtained when Tb3+ ion excited. Because of the ET from one Tb3+ sensitizer to neighboring Yb3+ activators suppressing emissions from Tb3+ ions. The Y2O3:Tb3+-Yb3+ phosphor can convert each UV photon into NIR photons where solar response of crystalline silicon (c-Si) solar cell is optimum. This makes the as-prepared phosphor as prime candidate for potential application in photovoltaic technology.
- Sawala N.S., Koparkar K.A., Bajaj N.S. and Omanwar S.K. (2016)., Near-infrared Downconversion in Y(1-x)YbxVO4 for sensitization of c-Si solar cells., Optik- Int. J. Light Electron Opt., 127, 43754378.
- Shockley W. and Queisser H.J. (1961)., Detailed Balance Limit of Efficiency of p‐n Junction Solar Cells., J. Appl. Phys., 32, 510519.
- Chen J.D., Guo H., Li Z.Q., Zhang H. and Zhuang Y.X. (2010)., Near-infrared quantum cutting in Ce+, Yb3+ co-doped YBO3 phosphors by cooperative energy transfer., Opt. Mat., 32, 998-1001.
- Sawala N.S., Koparkar K.A. and Omanwar S.K. (2015)., Spectral Downshifting in Ce3+-Yb3+ co-doped YBO3 phosphor., Int. J. Lumin. Appl., 5, 125-127.
- Vergeer P., Vlugt T.J.H., Kox M.H.F., den Hertog M.I., J. van der Eerden and Meijerink A. (2005)., Quantum cutting by cooperative energy transfer in YbxY1−xPO4:Tb3+., Phys. Rev. B: Condens. Matter., 71, 014119.
- Sawala N.S., Chauhan A.O., Palan C.B., Omanwar S.K. (2015)., Downconversion in Tb3+, Yb3+ Co-Doped ZrO2., Int.l J. Lum. Appl., 5, 456-459.
- Sawala N.S., Bajaj N.S. and Omanwar S.K. (2016)., Near-infrared Quantum Cutting in Yb3+ ion doped strontium vanadate for solar cells., Infrared Phys. Technol., 76, 271275.
- Chauhan A.O., Koparkar K.A., Bajaj N.S. and Omanwar S.K. (2015)., Synthesis and Down-Conversion Studies on Y2O3: Yb3+, Bi3+ Phosphor., Int.J. Lum. Appl., 5, 100-102.
- Palan C.B., Bajaj N.S. and Omanwar S.K. (2015)., Elementary results on the dosimetric properties of SrSO4: Eu2+ phosphor., St. Petersburg Polytechnic University Journal: Physics and Mathematics, 1(4), 410-416.
- Cheng X., Su L., Wang Y., Zhu X., Wei X. and Wang Y. (2012)., Near-infrared quantum cutting in YVO4:Yb3+ thin-films via downconversion., Opt. Mat., 34, 11021106.
- Yuan J.L., Zeng X.Y., Zhao J.T., Zhang Z.J., Chen H.H., Yang X.X. (2008)., Energy transfer mechanisms in Tb3+, Yb3+ co-doped Y2O3 downconversion phosphor., J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., 41 105406 1-5.
- Strek W., Bednarkiewicz A. and Deren P.J. (2001)., Power dependence of luminescence of Tb3+- doped KYb (WO4)2 crystal., J. Lumin., 92, 229235.
- Chen D., Yu Y., Wang Y., Huang P. and Weng F. (2009)., Cooperative energy transfer up-conversion and quantum cutting down-conversion in Yb3+: TbF3 nanocrystals embedded glass ceramics., J. Phys. Chem. C, 113, 64066410.
- Terra I.A.A., Borrero-Gonzalez L.J., Figueredo T.R., Almeida J.M.P., Hernandes A.C., Nunes L.A.O. and Malta O.L. (2012)., Down-conversion process in Tb3+Yb3+ co-doped Calibo glasses., J. Lumin., 132, 16781682.
- Ye S., Katayama Y. and Tanabe S. (2011)., Down conversion luminescence of Tb3+Yb3+ codoped SrF2 precipitated glass ceramics., J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 357, 22682271.
- Duan Q., Qin F., Wang D., Xu W., Cheng J., Zhang Z. and Cao W. (2011)., Quantum cutting mechanism in Tb3+-Yb3+ co-doped oxyfluoride glass., J. Appl. Phys., 110, 113503, 1-5.
- Duan Q.Q., Qin F., Zhang Z.G. and Cao W.W. (2012)., Quantum cutting mechanism in NaYF4: Tb3+, Yb3+., Opt. Lett., 37, 521523.
- Sawala N.S., Palan C.B., Chauhan A.O. and Omanwar S.K. (2016)., Downconversion in YVO4:Yb3+ for sensitization of c-Si solar cells., Res. J. Chem. Sci., 6, 36-40.
- Sawala N.S., Koparkar K.A., Bajaj N.S. and Omanwar S.K. (2016)., Near-infrared Photoluminescence in La0.98AlO3: 0.02Ln3+(Ln = Nd/Yb) for sensitization of c-Si solar cells., AIP Conf. Proc., 1728 020250 1-6.