Study of Seasonal Temperature Changes and their Influence on free Corbondioxide, Dissolved Oxygen (DO) and pH in Jamwadi Medium Dam, Jamwadi, Dist- Yavatmal, MS, India
- 1Department of Chemistry, B.B.Arts, N.B.Commerce and B.P.Science College, Digras.Dist- Yavatmal, MH, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (4), Pages 41-43, April,18 (2016)
In the present study Jamwadi medium water dam at Jamwadi of Yavatmal district was selected; as its water is supplied to Yavatmal city for drinking purpose. To assess water quality status of this dam, the seasonal physico-chemical study was carried out. Temperature is an important parameter which regulates the self-purification capacity of reservoirs. Though not as that of air temperature, there is certainly seasonal variation in water temperature. Increase in temperature increases the rate of degradation of organic matter leading to further buildup of carbon dioxide in water. Also with increase of water temperature; dissolved oxygen decreases and pH increases. The present study was carried out with this special intension. In this study water samples were collected from three sites of the dam; season-wise with a gap of one month during July 2013 to May 2014. The temperature was recorded between 21.6oC – 31.4oC, free carbon dioxide was recorded to vary from 1.54 to 5.87mg/L, DO was varied from 5.28 to 8.35mg/L and pH was recorded between 7.45 and 8.03. Thus it can be concluded that there is seasonal variation in the reported four parameters of Jamwadi dam, but the values are within permissible range. Hence water quality of this dam is good with reference to pollution factor.
- Standard Methods (2002)., Standard methods for the examination of water and waste water (21 Edn.)., American Water Works Association (AWWA), water publication control Federation (WPCF) and American Public Health Association (APHA), Washington DC, USA.
- Karanth K.B. (1997)., Groundwater assessment, development andmanagement., Tata McGraw-Hill Publishers, New Delhi.
- Jain P., Sharma J.D., Sohu D. and Sharma P (2005)., Chemical analysis ofdrinking water of villages of Sanganer Tehsil, Jaipur District., Int. J. Environ. Sci. Tech., 2(4), 373-379.
- Wankhade R.R., Bhadange S.G. and Aswar A.S. (2008)., Water Quality Variations of Drinking Water of Ghatanji Taluka in Yavatmal District of Vidarbha Region, NCGCP., S.G.B.Amravati University.
- Joshi J.D., Vora J.J. and Sangita Sharma (2005)., Underground Water Quality of VarodaTaluka, North Gujarat, India., Asian J. of Chem., 17, 103-108.
- Deshpande V.V. and Shivanikar S.V. (2012)., Seasonal Temperature Changes and Their Influence on Free Carbon dioxide, Dissolved Oxygen and pH in Kharadkhed Medium Project Degloor, Maharashtra, India., Bionano Frontier, 5(2-II), 38-39.