Downconversion in YVO4:Yb3+ for sensitization of c-Si solar cells
- 1Department of Physics, S. G. B. A. U., Amravati 444602, Maharashtra, India
- 2Department of Physics, S. G. B. A. U., Amravati 444602, Maharashtra, India
- 3Department of Physics, S. G. B. A. U., Amravati 444602, Maharashtra, India
- 4Department of Physics, S. G. B. A. U., Amravati 444602, Maharashtra, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (4), Pages 36-40, April,18 (2016)
An efficient Yb3+ doped YVO4 (yttrium vanadate) material was synthesized by co-precipitation method followed by slow evaporation. The phase of phosphor was identified by X-ray diffraction (XRD) analysis. In present article the efficient near-infrared (NIR) downconversion (DC) process through energy transfer (ET) process in YVO4:Yb3+ was studied. It was confirmed that there exist effective co-operative energy transfer (CET) from VO43- ion to two neighboring Yb3+ ion in host matrix YVO4. The photoluminescence (PL) of as-synthesized phosphor shows single sharp emission centered at 988 nm which corresponds to the f-f transitions in Yb3+ ions in YVO4 host lattice under the ultra violet (UV) excitation of 322 nm. The NIR emission of wavelength 988 nm due to Yb3+ was observed at the excitation of VO43- ion, due to the CET from one VO43- ions to two adjacent Yb3+ ions. The YVO4:Yb3+ material can convert each UV photon into two NIR photons through CET and hence it has potential application for enhancing conversion efficiency of solar cells based on silicon materials.
- Sawala N.S., Koparkar K.A. and Omanwar S.K. (2015)., Spectral Downshifting in Ce3+-Yb3+ co-doped YBO3 phosphor., Int. J. Lumin. Appl. 5, 125-127.
- Dexter D.L. (1957)., Possibility of Luminescent Quantum Yields Greater than Unity., Phys. Rev. 108, 630-633.
- Cheng X., Su L., Wang Y., Zhu X., Wei X. and Wang Y. (2012)., Near-infrared quantum cutting in YVO4:Yb3+ thin-films via down conversion., Opt. Mat., 34, 11021106.
- Sawala N.S., Chauhan A.O., Palan C.B. and Omanwar S.K. (2015)., Down conversion in Tb3+, Yb3+ Co-Doped ZrO2., Int. J. Lumin. Appl., 5, 456-459.
- Sawala N.S., Koparkar K.A., Bajaj N.S. and Omanwar S.K. (2016)., Near-infrared Down conversion in Y(1-x)YbxVO4 for sensitization of c-Si solar cells., Optik- Int. J. Light Electron Opt. 127, 43754378.
- Sawala N.S., Bajaj N.S. and Omanwar S.K. (2016)., Near-infrared Quantum Cutting in Yb3+ ion doped strontium vanadate for solar cells., Infrared Phys. Technol. 76, 271275.
- Atomistic Simulation Group in the Materials Department of Imperial College (2016)., Database of Ionic Radii., http://abulafia.mt.ic.ac.uk/shannon/ptable.php.
- Sommerdijk J.L., Bril A. and de Jager A.W. (1974)., Luminescence of Pr3+-activated fluorides., J. Lumin., 9, 288-296.
- Piper W.W., DeLuca J.A. and Ham F.S. J. Lumin. (1974)., Cascade fluorescent decay in Pr3+-doped fluorides: Achievement of a quantum yield greater than unity for emission of visible light., 8, 344-348.
- Trupke T., Green M.A. and Wü rfel P. (2002)., Improving solar cell efficiencies by down-conversion of high-energy photons., J. Appl. Phys., 92, 1668-1674.
- Chen J.D., Guo H., Li Z.Q., Zhang H. and Zhuang Y.X. (2010)., Near-infrared quantum cutting in Ce+, Yb3+ co-doped YBO3 phosphors by cooperative energy transfer., Opt. Mat., 32, 998-1001.
- Palan C.B., Bajaj N.S. and Omanwar S.K. (2016)., Elementary results on the dosimetric properties of SrSO4: Eu2+ phosphor, St. Petersburg., Polytechnical University Journal: Physics and Mathematics, DOI:10.1016/ j.spjpm.2015.12.007.
- Mech A., Karbowiak M., Kepinski L., Bednarkiewicz A. and Strek W. (2004)., Structural and Luminescent properties of nano-sized NaGdF4: Eu3+ synthesised by wet-chemistry route., J. Alloys Compd. 380, 315-320.
- Loureiro S.M., Setlur A., Heward W., Taylor S.T., Comanzo H. and Manoharan M. et al. (2005)., First observation of quantum splitting behavior in nanocrystalline SrAl12O19: Pr, Mg Phosphor., Chem. Mater, 17, 3108-3113.
- Zhang Q.Y. and Huang X.Y. (2010)., Recent progress in quantum cutting phosphors., Prog. Mater Sci., 55, 353-427.