Synthesis and Application of Mordent and Disperse Azo Dyes Based on 2- Amino-6-Nitro-1,3- Benzothiazole
- 1Department of Chemistry, Vinayak Ganesh Vaze College Mithaghar Road, Mulund East, Mumbai - 400081, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (11), Pages 6-16, November,18 (2016)
A diazotized solution of 2-amino-6-nitro-1,3-benzothiazole was added to the cold solution of phenols or aromatic amines to obtain azo dyes. The synthesized compounds were characterized by 1H-NMR, FT-IR, UV-Vis and LC-MS spectroscopy. Dyeing assessment of synthesized compounds was done on cotton fabric. Cotton mordant fibers showed a better hue on dyeing. Compounds were tested against representatives of gram-positive, gram- negative bacteria and fungi by agar diffusion method. The results revealed that the compounds show a broad spectrum of activity against the tested microorganisms.
- Robinson T. and Marchant R. et. al. (2001)., Remediation of dyes in textile effluent a critical review on current treatment technologies with a proposed alternative., Bioresource.Tech.,7, 247-255.
- Ayyappanpillai S., Ajayaghosh George J., Albertus P. and Schenning J. (2005)., Color in dye house effluent, the dye maker’s view., Top curr. chem., 258, 83-118.
- Moreira R., Kuhen N. and Peruch M. (1998)., Adsorption of reactive dyes onto granular activated carbon., Latin Am. Appl. Res., 28, 37-41.
- Cumming W. and Howie G. (1933)., Binaphthyl bases. II. reduction of 1,1, J. Chem Soc., 5, 133-130.
- Mohamed S. and Nour E. (1999)., Solid state photolysis of triazene 1-oxides with naphthols, synthesis of azo dyes., J. Chem. Research., 3(8), 508-513.
- Peters A. and Walker D. (1956)., Intermediates and dyes. IV. Condensation of 2,3-thianaphthene dicarboxylic anhydride with hydrocarbons and phenols., J. Chem. Soc., 36, 1429-1434.
- Gordon P. and Gregory P. (1983)., Organic chemistry in color., Berlin Ltd: Springer Verlag.
- Srinivasan Damodaran and Owen Fennema (1996)., Fennema, Taylor and Francis group publication, London, 571-595. ISBN: 13:978-1-1200-2052-6
- Eigenmann P.A. and Haengelli C.A. (2004)., Food colorings and preservatives- allergy and hyperactivity., The Lancet., 364, 823-824.
- Sternberg E., Dolphin M. and Matsuoka (Ed.). (1990)., Infrared absorbing dyes., Plenum, New York., 193-212.
- Gregory P. (1994)., Modern reprographics., Rev. Prog. Coloration, 24 (1), 223-233.
- Mekkawi D. and Abdel-Mottaleb M. (2005)., The interaction and photostability of some xanthenes and selected azo sensitizing dyes with TiO2 anoparticles., Int. J. Photoenergy., 7(2), 95-101.
- Marchevsky E., Olsina R. and Marone C. (1985)., 2-[2-(5-Chloropyridyl) azo]-5-dimethyl aminophenol as indicator for the complexometric determination of zinc., Talanta., 32 (1), 54-56.
- Helal M., Elgemeie G. and Masoud D. (2008)., Synthesis of a new series of poly functionally substituted thiazole azo dye systems for dyeing of synthetic fibres., Pigment Resin Technol., 37 (6), 402-409.
- Jiao G., Tao T., Shu-Jun F., Wei Y. and Wei H. (2011)., Structural investigations on four heterocyclic Disperse Red azo dyes having the same benzothiazole/azo/benzene skeleton., Dyes Pigm., 90, 65-70.
- Pavlovic G., Racane L., Cicak H. and Kulenovic V. (2009)., The synthesis and structural study of two benzothiazolyl azo dyes: X-ray crystallographic and computational study of azo–hydrazone tautomerism., Dyes Pigment., 83, 354–362.
- Faustino H., Brannigan C., Reis L. and Santos P. (2009)., Novel azobenzothiazole dyes from 2- nitrosobenzothiazoles., Dyes Pigment., 83, 88-94.
- Metwally M., Abdel-latif E. and Amer F. (2004)., Synthesis of new 5-thiazolyl azo-disperse dyes for dyeing polyester fabrics., Dyes Pigment., 60, 249–256.
- Singh K. and Taylor J. (2002)., Monoazo disperse dyes—part 1: synthesis, spectroscopic studies and technical evaluation of mono azo disperse dyes derived from 2-amino thiazoles., Dyes Pigment., 54, 189–200.
- Metwally M., Abdel-Galil E. and Amer F. (2012)., New azodisperse dyes with thiazole, thiophene, pyridone and pyrazolone moiety for dyeing polyester fabrics., Dyes Pigment., 92, 902–908.
- Abdel-Latif E., Amer F. and Metwally M. (2009)., Synthesis of 5-arylazo-2-(arylidenehydrazino)-thiazole disperse dyes for dyeing polyester fibres., Pigment Resin Technol., 38 (2), 105–110.
- Jae-Hong C., Sung-Hee H. and Eui-Jae J. (1999)., High fastness heterocyclic azo disperse dyes bearing ester functions., Soc. Dyers Colourists., 115(1), 32- 37.
- Jae-Hong S., Hong D. and Andrew J. (2000)., Structure-wet fastness relationships of some blue disperse dyes for polyester., Soc. Dyers Colourists. 116(9), (2000) 273-278.
- Simu G., Grad M. and Elena B. (2010)., Aggregation of two direct dye derived from 4,4’-diaminostilbene-2,2’-disulphonic acid., Spectroscopic and mathematical studies. 14th International Electronic Conference on Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Spain, 1st -30th November, 1-3.
- Syed M., Sim H. and Khalid A. (2009)., A simple method to screen for azo-dye-degrading bacteria., J. Environ.Bio., 30 (1), 89-92.
- Elisangela F. and Matthew J. (2012)., Decolorization and biodegradation of reactive sulfonated azo dyes by a newly isolated Brevibacterium sp. strain VN-15., Springer plus., 137-155.
- Hodnett E. and Dunn W. (1970)., Structure-antitumor activity correlation of some Schiff bases., J. Med. Chem. 13, 768-770.
- Sridhar S., Saravanan M. and Ramesh A. (2001)., Synthesis and antibacterial screening of hydrazones, Schiff and Mannich bases of isatin derivatives., Eur. J. Med. Chem., 36, 615–625.
- Collins C. (1967)., Microbiological Methods., Butterworth, London., 364.
- Gordon P. and Gregory P. (1983)., Organic chemistry in colour., Berlin, itd: Springer Verlag.