Thermodynamics of Complexation of Mn (II) Metal Ion with Amoxicillin
- 1LCIT College of C and S, Bodri, Bilaspur, CG, India
- 2Govt Agrasen College, Bilha, Bilaspur, CG, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (10), Pages 51-53, October,18 (2016)
In recent time study of metal complexes a re used immensely in medicine in the design of slow rele ase and long acting drugs. Now a day the study of chemistry of metal-drug interaction has become more popular in the de sign of more biologically active drugs. The present work comprise s Potentiometric studies of complexation of amoxicillin with Mn (II) ions in 50% aqueous ethanol medium at three differe nt temperatures (30, 35 and 40oC) and at 0.1 M (NaNO 3) ionic strength. Calvin-Bjerrum pH titration process as used by Irving and Rossotti is used for the calculation of stabil ity constants of the metal complexes. It is observed that Mn (II) ion s form 1:1 and 1:2 complexes. Various thermodynamic parameters eg. Gibbs free energy change ( G), enthalpy changes ( H) and entropy changes ( S) have also been calculated, which shows formation of metal complexes to be spontaneous, exoth ermic and stability of complexes at lower temperature.
- Waksman S.A. (1947)., What Is an Antibiotic or an Antibiotic substance?., Mycologia, 39(5), 565-569.
- Janjic Dalhoff A. and Echols R.N. (2006)., Redefining penems., Biochem Pharmacol E pub., 71(7), 1085-1095.
- McEvoy G.K. (2016)., AHFS Drug Information, American Society of Health-system Pharmacists., Inc., Bethesda, MD.
- Pitzer K.S. (1937)., The Heats of Ionization of Water, Ammonium Hydroxide, Cabonic, Phosphoric, and Sulfuric Acids. The Variation of Ionization constants with Temperature and the entropy Change with Ionization., J.Am.Chem Soc., 59(11), 2365-2371.
- Martell A.E. (1971)., Co-ordination chemistry., 1, Von Nostrand Reinhold Company, London, 577.
- Mendoza-Diaz G., Perez-Alanso R. and Moreno-Esparza R. (1996)., Stability constants of copper (II) mixed complexes with some 4-quinolone antibiotics and (NN) donors., J. Inorg, Biochem., 64(3), 207-214.
- Obaleye J.A., Nde-aga J.B. and Balogun J.BE.A. (1997)., Some Antimalaria Drug Metal Complexes: Synthesis characterization and their in-vivo Evaluation against malaria parasite., Afr.J.Sci, 1,10-12.
- Jaffery G.H., Basset J., Mendham J. and Denny R.C. (1978)., Vogelís Textbook of Quantitative Chemical Analysis., 5th edition, Longman group UK Limited, ISBN-0-470-21517-8.
- Bjerrum J. et. al. (1941)., Metal Ammine formation in Aqueous Solution., P. Haase and Son, Copenhagen Denmark, 296.
- Calvin M. and Wilson K.W. (1945)., Stability of Chelate Compounds., J. Am. Chem. soc., 67(11), 2003-2007.
- Franaeous S. (1948)., Komplexsystem Hos Kopper., Gleerupska Univ. Bokhandeln, Lund, 139.
- Schwarzenbach G. and Ackermann H. (1947)., Metal Chelates of EDTA and related substances., Helv. Chim. Acta, 30, 1798-1804.
- El-Sherbiny M.F. (2005)., Potentiometric and thermodynamic studies of 2-Thioxothiazolidin-4-one and its metal complexes., Chem. Pap., 59(5), 332-335.
- Irving H.M. and Rossotti H.S. (1954)., The calculation of formation curves of metal complexes from pH titration curves in mixed solvents., J.Chem.Soc, 2904-2910.