Vegetable Oils as a Source of Wax Ester: Extraction and Transesterification
- 1North Lakhimpur Autonomous College, North Lakhimpur-787001, Assam, INDIA
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (1), Pages 69-72, January,18 (2016)
Waxes are long chain esters that are derived from fatty acids and alcohols with chain lengths of 12 carbons or more. Synthesis of wax esters by chemical-catalyzed method has many disadvantages, such as corrosive acids required, hazards in handling, high energy consumption and degradation of synthesized esters. Hence, attention has been diverted to synthesis of wax esters from natural products which are reported to be environment friendly. Natural wax ester can be extracted from animals and plant materials such as beeswax, sperm whale, jojoba seeds, sheep wool, seafowl feathers etc. The present study was undertaken to examine the oil content in naturally available plant seeds, i.e. Annona reticulate, Parkia timoriana and Citrus reticulata and synthesize wax esters through transesterification reaction.
- Chen J.P. and Wang J.B. (1997), Synthesis of Wax Estersby Lipase-catalysed Esterification with Fungal CellsImmobilized on Cellulose Biomass Support Particles,Lipase from Candida sp, Enz Microb Technol., 18, 615.
- Zaharaddeen N., Garba A., Galadima and Abdulfatai A.Siaka, (2014), Mineral Composition, PhysicochemicalProperties and Fatty Acids Profile of Citrullus VulgarisSeed Oil, Research Journal of Chemical Sciences, 4(6),54-57.
- Nonviho G., Paris C., Muniglia L., Sessou P., AgbangnanD.C.P., Brosse N. and Sohounhlou D (2014), Chemicalcharacterization of Lophira lanceolata and Carapaprocera seed oils: Analysis of Fatty Acids, Sterols,Tocopherols and Tocotrienols, Res. J. chem. sci., 4(9),57-62.
- Gunawan E.R. and Suhendra D. (2008), Synthesis of Wax Ester From Palm Kernel Oil Catalysed by Lipase, IJC., 16, 83-100.
- Deng Li, Wang Xiaojing, NIE Kaili, Wang Fang, LIUJunfeng, Wang Pu, TAN Tianwei, (2014), Synthesis ofWax Esters By Lipase-Catalysed Esterification withImmobilized Lipase From Candida sp., Chinese Journalof Chemical Engineering, 19,978-982.
- Chia-Hung Kuo, Hsin-Hung Chen, Jiann-Hwa Chen,Yung-Chuan Liu and Chwen-Jen Shieh (2012), HighYield of Wax Ester Synthesised from Cetyl Alcohol andOctanoic Acid by Lipozyme RMIM and Novozym 435, Int. J. Mol. Sci., 13, 11694-11704.
- Rangwala Juzer Ali and Sarasan Geetha (2014), Synthesis of Medicinal Soap from Non Edible (JatrophaOil) and Study of its Quality Parameters includingAntimicrobial Activity, Res. J. chem. sci., 4(4), 58-62.
- Togbe Finagnon Crepin Alexis, Wotto V. Dieudonne, Azandegbe Eni Coffi and Josse Roger Gerard (2014), Comparative study of some Ashes of vegetables used inthe traditional Preparation of the Soap in Benin, Res. J.chem. sci., 4(9), 12-15.
- Deshpande D.P.1, Haral S.S.2 and Sarode P.B.2, (2013), Hydrocarbon Liquid from Castor Oil, Res. J. Chem. Sci.,3(7), 87-89.
- Talukdar N.N. (2006), A thesis submitted to GauhatiUniversity for the degree of doctor of philosophy inchemistry, in the faculty of science.
- Deka D.C. and Basumatary S. (2011), BiomassBioenergy, 35, 1797-1803.