N-bromosuccinimide oxidation of a Ternary complex of Iminodiacetatochromium(III) involving DL-aspartic acid co-ligand
- 1Chemistry Department, Faculty of Science, King Abdulaziz University, P.O Box.80203, Jeddah, 21589, SAUDI ARABIA
- 2Chemistry Department, Faculty of Science, Alexandria University, Alexandria, EGYPT
- 3Chemistry Department, Faculty of Science, Beni-Suef University, Beni-Suef City, EGYPT
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (1), Pages 1-7, January,18 (2016)
The kinetics of the oxidation of chromium(III)-complex, [Cr(IDA)(Asp)(H2O)2] (IDA = Iminodiacetic acid and Asp = DL-aspartic acid) to Cr(VI) have been carried out in the temperature range 20 â€“ 40 oC. Reaction obeyed first order dependence with respect to [NBS] and [Cr(III)], and the rate of reaction increases with increasing of pH for the range 6.08 â€“ 7.04. Experimentally, the mechanism of this reaction is found to be consistent with the rate law in which the hydroxo species, [CrIII(IDA)(Asp)(H2O)(OH)]- is considerably much more reactive than their conjugate acid. CTAB enhanced the reaction rate while SDS inhibits one. ΔH* and ΔS* have been calculated. It is proposed that electron transfer occurs through an inner-sphere mechanism.
- Siddiqi Z.A., Shahid M., Khalid M. and Kumar S.(2009), Antimicrobial and SOD Activities of NovelTransition Metal Ternary Complexes of IminodiaceticAcid Containing α-Diimine as Auxiliary Ligand, Europ.J. Med. Chem., 44(6), 2517-2522.
- Arnold H.F. (1991), Metal-Affinity Separations: A NewDimension in Protein Processing, J. Bio.Tech., 9, 151-157.
- Levina A., Codd R., Dillon C. T. and Lay P.A. (2003), Chromium in Biology: Toxicology and NutritionalAspects, Prog.Inorg.Chem.,51, 145-250.
- Levina A. and Lay P.A. (2005), Mechanistic Studies ofRelevance to the Biological Activities of Chromium, Coord.Chem.Rev., 249, 281-298.
- Mathur N. K. and Narang C.K. (1975), TheDetermination of Organic Compounds with NBromosuccinimide, acedmic Press, NewYork.
- Mushran S.B., Pandey L. and Singh K. (1980), Mechanism of the Oxidation of Some SubstitutedAcetophenones by N-Bromosuccinimide in AcidicMedia, Monotsh.Chemie, 111, 1135.
- Singh B., Pandey L., Sharma J. and pandy S.M. (1982), Mechanism of Oxidation of Some Aliphatic Ketones byN-Bromosuccinimide in Acidic Media, Tetrahedron , 38,169
- Ewais H.A. and Abdel-Salam A.H. (2014), Two step-oneelectron transfer mechanism for the reaction of ternarydipicolinatochromium(III) complex involving 2-aminopyridine with N-bromosuccinimide, Oxid.Commun., 37, 954–968.
- Ewais H.A. (2002), Kinetics and Mechanism of theOxidation of Chromium(III)–Dipicolinic Acid Complexby N-Bromosuccinimide, Transition Met. Chem., 27,562.
- Ewais H.A., Ismael M.K. and Abdel-Khalek A.A. (2009), Kinetics and Mechanism of the Formation and Oxidationof Iminodiacetatochromium (III) Complex, Saudi Chem.Soc., 13, 219.
- Al-Shihri A.M. and Abdel-Hady A.E.M. (1996), Kineticsand Mechanism of Oxidation of (Aqua-2-AminomethylPyridine)Chromium (III) by N-Bromosuccinimide, Transition Met. Chem., 21(5), 406-409.
- Abdel-khalek A.A., Ewais H.A. and Nagady M.A.(2007), Kinetics and Mechanism of Oxidation of theBinary and Ternary Complexes of Chromium (III)Involving Inosine and Glycine by N–Bromosuccinimide, J. Coord. Chem., 60, 2471.
- Ewais H.A., Ahmed A.E. and Abdel-Khalek A.A. (2004), Kinetics and Mechanism of Oxidation of a TernaryComplex Involving Dipicolinato- chromium(III) and DLAsparticAcid by N-Bromosuccinimide, Int. J. Chem.Kinet., 36, 394.
- Abdel-Khalek A.A., Ewais H.A., Hassan E.S. and AbdelHamiedA. (2003), Kinetics and Mechanism of theOxidation of a Ternary Complex InvolvingNitrilotriacetatocobaltate (II) and Succinic Acid by NBromosuccinimide, Transition Met. Chem., 28, 635.
- Abdel-Khalek A.A., Ewais H. A., Hassan E.S. andAbdel-Hamied A. (2004), Kinetics and Mechanism of theOxidation of a Ternary Complex InvolvingNitrilotriacetatocobaltate(II) and Malonic Acid by NBromosuccinimide, Transition Met. Chem., 29, 7.
- Abdel-Hady A.M., Farag R.S. and Abu-Khadra A.S.(2010), Kinetics and mechanism of oxidation of N,Nbis(salicylaldehyde-1,2-diaminoethane)cobalt(II) by Nbromosuccinimidein aqueous acidic medium, TransitionMet. Chem., 35, 571.
- Ewais H.A., Habib M.A. and Elroby S.A.K. (2010), Kinetics and Mechanism of Periodate Oxidation of TwoTernary Nitrilotriacetato Chromium(III) ComplexsesInvolving Histidine and Aspartate Co- ligands, Trans MetChem, 35, 73.
- Haim A. (1975), Organometallic Mechanisms andCatalysis: The Role of Reactive Intermediates in OrganicProcesses, Acc. Chem. Res., 8, 264.
- Eljack N.D. and Sulfab Y. (2012), Kinetics of theBiphasic Oxidation of Aquaethylenediaminetetraaceta tochromate(III) and Cis Diaquabis (oxalato)- chromate(III)complexes by N-Bromosuccinimide in AqueousSolutions, Formation of Long-Lived Chromium(IV)Complexes, polyhedron, 44, 28.
- Koening T. and Berwer W. (1964), The ThermalDecomposition of t-Butyl 2,5-Dioxo-1-Pyrrolidineperformate, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 86, 2728.
- Hedaya E., Hinman R.L., Kibler L.M. andTheodoropulos S. (1964), Stability of the SuccinimidylRadical. Decomposition of t-Butyl NSuccinimidepercarboxylate, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 86, 2727.
- Varaprasad D.V.P.R. and Mahadevan V. (1982), Aqueous Redox Polymerization of Acrylonitrile Initiatedby Systems Based on Tervalent and TetravalentVanadium in Combination with N-Bromosuccinimide asthe Oxidant, J. Macromol. Soc. Chem. A, 19, 781.
- Al-Awadi N. and Wiliams A. (1990), Reactions ofSubstituted Phenolate Ions with 4-Nitrophenyl LaurateCatalyzed by Cationic Micelles, J Org Chem, 55, 4359.
- Weaver M.J. and Yee E.L. (1980), Activation Parametersfor Homogeneous Outer- Sphere Electron-TransferReactions, Comparison between Self-Exchange andCross Reactions using Marcus