Performance evaluation of Moringa Oleifera biodiesel synthesized from cow bone catalyst and its blends in diesel engines
- 1Department of Chemical Engineering, Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria
- 2Department of Chemical Engineering, Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria
- 3Department of Production, Process and Utilities, Dangote Fertiliser Ltd, Lekki Free Trade Zone, Lagos State, Nigeria
- 4Department of Mechanical Engineering, Federal Polytechnic, Bida, Nigeria
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 11, Issue (2), Pages 1-6, June,18 (2021)
Performance evaluation of Moringa oleifera biodiesel synthesized from cow bone catalyst and its blends in diesel engine has been studied. The research work is aimed at comparing the performance of petroleum based diesel fuel and directly cracked triglycerides (biodiesel) produced from moringa oleifera oil obtained from northern Nigeria. The performance evaluation was conducted using BD100, BD80, BD60, BD40 and BD20, this is to evaluate the performance of the diesel engine in terms of brake thermal efficiency (BTE), brake specific fuel consumption efficiency (BSFCE), carbon monoxide (CO), oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and oxides of sulphur (SOx) emissions. BD blends recorded higher brake thermal efficiencies relative to petroleum based diesel fuel. BD100 and all the blends under study recorded 16.67 % BSFCE lower than that of diesel fuel at optimum engine load. For all the sample fuels under study, decrease in the amount of CO is directly proportional to the engine load. The result of study shows that the NOx emissions increase with corresponding increase in engine loads. For all the sample fuels under study, negligible increase in the amount of SOx is directly proportional to the engine load and vice versa.
- Natchanok, P. (2012)., On-Road Measurement of Nox and CO2 Emissions from Biodiesel Produced from different Feed stocks., A Thesis Presented to the Faculty of the Graduate School, The University of Texas at Arlington.
- Sangita, B. and Pradeep, K. (2010)., Effect of Impurities on Performance of Biodiesel: A Review., Journal of Sciences and Industrial Research, 69, 575 - 579.
- Ayoola, A. (2015)., Production and Life Cycle Assessment of Biodiesel from Three Waste Oils., Ph. D. Thesis, Department of Chemical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, College of Science and Technology, Covenant University, Nigeria.
- Ramadhas, A., Muraleedharan, C. and Jayaraj, S. (2005)., Performance and Emission Evaluation of a Diesel Engine Fueled with Methyl Esters of Rubber Seed Oil., Renew Energy, 30, 1789-1800.
- Gaurav, D. and Sharma, M. (2013)., Performance Evaluation of Diesel Engine Using Biodiesel from Pongamia Oil., International Journal of Renewable Energy Research, 3(2), Pp. 1-6.
- Godwin, K., Albert, S. and Joseph, P. (2015)., Performance Evaluation of Biodiesel-Biodiesel Blends in a Dedicated CIDI Engine., International Journal of Renewable Energy Research, 5(1), 168-176.
- Abdolsaeid, G., Mohammad, N., Seyed, E. and Anas, B. (2016)., Performance Evaluation of Palm Oil-Based Biodiesel Combustion in an Oil Burner., Energies, 9(97), Pp. 1-10.
- da Silva, J. P., Serra, T. M., Gossmann, M., Wolf, C. R., Meneghetti, M. R., & Meneghetti, S. M. (2010)., Moringa oleifera oil: studies of characterization and biodiesel production., Biomass and Bioenergy, 34(10), 1527-1530.
- Hernandez, E., Garcia, A., Lopez, M., Puls, J., Parajo, J. C., & Martin, C. (2013)., Dilute sulphuric acid pretreatment and enzymatic hydrolysis of Moringa oleifera empty pods., Industrial Crops and Products, 44, 227-231.
- Martin, C., Moure, A., Martin, G., Carrillo, E., Dominguez, H., & Parajo, J. C. (2010)., Fractional characterisation of jatropha, neem, moringa, trisperma, castor and candlenut seeds as potential feedstocks for biodiesel production in Cuba., Biomass and Bioenergy, 34(4), 533-538.
- Ameh, C. U. (2018)., Process Optimization Kinetic Modelling and Characterization of Biodiesel Produced from Moringa Oleifera Oil., Ph.D. Progress Report Submitted in the Department of Chemical Engineering, Federal University of Technology, P. M. B. 65, Gidan Kwano Campus, Minna, Niger State, Nigeria.
- Musa, N. A, Teran, G. M and Yaman, S. A. (2019)., Comparative Performance Evaluation of a Diesel Engine Run on Diesel and Biodiesel Produced from Coconut Oil., Journal of Applied Science and Environmental Management, 23(4), 689-693.
- Shahid, E. and Jamal, Y. (2011)., Performance Evaluation of a Diesel Engine Using Biodiesel., Pakistan Journal of Engineering and Applied Science, 9, 68-75.
- Mofijur, M., Masjuki, H., Kalam, M. and Atabani, E. (2013)., Evaluation of Biodiesel Blending, Engine Performance and Emissions Characteristics of Jatropha Curcas Methyl Ester: Malaysian Perspective., Energy XXX, Pp. 1-9, Available online at www.elsevier.com/locate/ energy
- Stalin, N. and Prabhu, H. (2007)., Performance Test of IC Engine Using Karanja Biodiesel Blending With Diesel., Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 2(5), 32-34. Available online at www.arpnjournals.com
- Tsolakis, A., Megaritis, A., Wyszynski, M. and Theinnoi, K. (2007)., Engine Performance and Emissions of a Diesel Engine Operating on Diesel-RME (Rapeseed Methyl Ester) Blends with EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)., Energy, 32, 2072-2080.
- Lin, B., Huang, J. and Huang, D. (2009)., Experimental Study of the Effects of Vegetable Oil Methyl Ester on DI Diesel Engine Performance Characteristics and Pollutant Emissions., Fuels, 88, 1779 - 1785.
- Chauhan, B., Kumar, N. and Cho, H. (2012)., A Study on the Performance and Emission of a Diesel Engine Fueled with Jatropha Biodiesel Oil and its Blends., Energy, 37, 616 - 622.
- Nicholas, A., Georgina, M. and Saraki, A. (2016)., Performance Evaluation of a Diesel Engine Run on Biodiesel Produced from Coconut Oil and Its Blends., Advances in Research, 6(4), 1-6. Available online at www.sciencedomain.org
- Ramadhas, A. S., Muraleedharan, C., & Jayaraj, S. (2005)., Performance and emission evaluation of a diesel engine fueled with methyl esters of rubber seed oil., Renewable energy, 30(12), 1789-1800.
- Devan, P. and Mahalakshmi, N. (2009)., A Study of the Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics of a Compression Ignition Engine using Methyl Ester of Paradise Oileeucalyptus Oil Blends., Journal of Applied Energy, 86, 675-680.
- Alireza, S. (2013)., HC, CO, CO2 and NOx Emission Evaluation of a Diesel Engine Fueled with Waste Frying Oil Methyl Ester., 2nd International Conference on Leadership, Technology and Innovation Management, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 75, 292-297.