Preparation of pectin based adsorbent for the uptake of phosphate anion from water
- 1Central Department of Chemistry, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal and Department of Chemistry, Amrit Campus, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal
- 2Central Department of Chemistry, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal
- 3Central Department of Chemistry, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal
- 4Central Department of Chemistry, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal and Department of Chemistry,Tri-Chandra Multiple Campus, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal
- 5Central Department of Chemistry, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal
- 6Central Department of Chemistry, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 10, Issue (3), Pages 16-24, October,18 (2020)
The natural anion exchanger was prepared from pectin enriched biomass of Mango fruit (Magnifera indica) by saponification followed by loading with trivalent iron i.e Fe(III) to eliminate phosphate from water. Characterization of adsorbent was done by elemental analysis and functional groups identification techniques. The result denoted that the phosphate adsorption using Fe(III)-SMW was easily controlled by switching pH value. The hydroxyl ions were released during uptake of phosphate using Fe(III)-SMW. The maximum uptake of Fe(III)-SMW for phosphate was determined as 4.08 mgg-1using Langmuir isotherm model. Phosphate concentration after adsorption sharply decreased with increasing solid-liquid ratio and reached 100% uptake by using Fe(III)-SMW. Adsorbed phosphate anion was effectively desorbed (99.56%) by using 1M NaOH solution. Therefore, Fe(III)-SMW adsorbent seems as a promising, low-priced and potential materialto treat trace amounts of phosphate anion present in polluted water.
- Bunce, J. T., Ndam, E., Ofiteru, I. D., Moore, A., and Graham, D. W. (2018)., A review of phosphorus removal technologies and their applicability to small-scale domestic wastewater treatment systems., Frontiers in Environmental Science, 6, 8.
- Yeoman, S., Stephenson, T., Lester, J. N., & Perry, R. (1988)., The removal of phosphorus during waste water treatment: a review., Environmental Pollution, 49(3), 183-233.
- Paudyal, H., Inoue, K.,Ohto, K .and Kawakita, H. (2017), Adsorptive removal of phosphate from water usingZr(IV) loaded spent cation exchange resin., Journal of Nepal Chemical Society, 37,119-126.
- Ramasahayam, S. K., Guzman, L., Gunawan, G., & Viswanathan, T. (2014)., A comprehensive review of phosphorus removal technologies and processes., Journal of Macromolecular Science, Part A, 51(6), 538-545.
- Nowack, B., & Stone, A. T. (2006)., Competitive adsorption of phosphate and phosphonates onto goethite., Water Research, 40(11), 2201-2209.
- Awual, M. R., El-Safty, S. A., & Jyo, A. (2011)., Removal of trace arsenic (V) and phosphate from water by a highly selective ligand exchange adsorbent., Journal of Environmental Sciences, 23(12), 1947-1954.
- Oleszkiewicz, J., Kruk, D. J., Devlin, T., Lashkarizadeh, M., & Yuan, Q. (2015)., Options for improved nutrientremoval and recovery from municipal wastewater in the Canadian context., Winnipeg, MN: Canadian Water Network.
- Tanaka, T., & Shimamura, K. (2005)., Biological wastewater treatment process with chemical-phosphorus recoverreactor., Journal of Environmental Biotechnology, 4(2), 101-108.
- Inoue, K., Harada, H., Ghimire, K. N., Biswas, B. K., Kawakita, H., & Ohto, K. (2018)., Adsorptive removal ofphosphorous using metal-loaded biosorbents from aquatic environment., JOJ Material Science, 4(2), 555-632.
- Paudyal, H., Pangeni, B., Ghimire, K. N., Inoue, K., Ohto, K., Kawakita, H., & Alam, S. (2012)., Adsorption behavior of orange waste gel for some rare earth ions and its application to the removal of fluoride from water., Chemical engineering journal, 195, 289-296.
- Bhatt, P.R., Aryal, R. L., Poudel, B.R., Bhattarai, S., & Gautam, S.K. (2018)., Adsorptive Removal of Cr(VI) from Aqueous Solution onto Charred Sugar Cane Bagasse., Journal of Nepal Chemical Society, 39, 62-69.
- Eberhardt, T. L., Min, S. H., & Han, J. S. (2006)., Phosphate removal by refined aspen wood fiber treated with carboxymethyl cellulose and ferrous chloride., Bioresource technology, 97(18), 2371-2376.
- Namasivayam, C., & Sangeetha, D. (2004)., Equilibrium and kinetic studies of adsorption of phosphate onto ZnCl2 activated coir pith carbon., Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 280(2), 359-365.
- Paudyal, H., Pangeni, B., Inoue, K., Kawakita, H., Ohto, K., Harada, H., & Alam, S. (2011)., Adsorptive removal of fluoride from aqueous solution using orange waste loaded with multi-valent metal ions., Journal of hazardous materials, 192(2), 676-682.
- Paudyal, H., Pangeni, B., Inoue, K., Kawakita, H., Ohto, K., Ghimire, K. N., & Alam, S. (2013)., Preparation of novel alginate-based anion exchanger from Ulva japonica and its application for the removal of trace concentrations of fluoride from water., Bioresource technology, 148, 221-227.
- Yoshida, I., Ueno, K., & Kobayashi, H. (1978)., Selective separation of arsenic (III) and (V) ions with ferric complex of chelating ion-exchange resin., Separation Science and Technology, 13(2), 173-184.
- Aryal, R. L., Poudel, B. R., Gautam, S. K., Paudyal, H., & Ghimire, K. N. (2019)., Removal of Fluoride from Aqueous Solution Using Biomass-Based Adsorbents: A Review., Journal of Nepal Chemical Society, 40, 44-51.
- Paudyal, H., & Inoue, K. (2018)., Adsorptive removal of trace concentration of fluoride from water using cerium loaded dried orange juice residue., Journal of Institute of Science and Technology, 23(1), 43-48.
- Nagul, E. A., McKelvie, I. D., Worsfold, P., & Kolev, S. D. (2015)., The molybdenum blue reaction for the determination of orthophosphate revisited: opening the black box., Analytica chimica acta, 890, 60-82.
- Zhang, Z., Yan, L., Yu, H., Yan, T., & Li, X. (2019)., Adsorption of phosphate from aqueous solution by vegetable biochar/layered double oxides: Fast removal and mechanistic studies., Bioresource technology, 284, 65-71.
- Biswas, B. K., Inoue, K., Ghimire, K. N., Harada, H., Ohto, K., & Kawakita, H. (2008)., Removal and recovery of phosphorus from water by means of adsorption onto orange waste gel loaded with zirconium., Bioresource technology, 99(18), 8685-8690.
- Pokhrel, M. R., Poudel, B. R., Aryal, R. L., Paudyal, H., & Ghimire, K.N. (2019)., Removal and Recovery of Phosphate from Water and Wastewater Using Metal-Loaded Agricultural Waste-Based Adsorbents: A Review., Journal of Institute of Science and Technology, 24(1), 77-89.
- Langmuir, I. (1916)., The constitution and fundamental properties of solids and liquids. Part I. Solids., Journal of the American chemical society, 38(11), 2221-2295.
- Freundlich, H. (1907)., Über die adsorption in lösungen. ZeitschriftfÜrphysikalische Chemie., 57(1), 385-470.
- Xia, C., Jing, Y., Jia, Y., Yue, D., Ma, J., & Yin, X. (2011)., Adsorption properties of congo red from aqueous solution on modified hectorite: Kinetic and thermodynamic studies., Desalination, 265(1-3), 81-87.