Photocatalytic Decolorization of Textile dye Methylene blue by photocatalyst WO3 and SnO2
- 1Department of Chemistry, M.L.V. Government College, Bhilwara, Rajasthan-311001, India
- 2Department of Botany, M.L.V. Government College, Bhilwara, Rajasthan-311001, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 10, Issue (3), Pages 10-15, October,18 (2020)
Textile is the largest industry of Bhilwara district in the state of Rajasthan. Bhilwara city is known as Textile City. The textile industries are most water and chemical intensive industry worldwide and produce large amount of waste water as colored dyes effluents. Colored effluents is toxic in nature and damage to the environment and ecosystem. For the production of 1 kg textile fabric industries consumed 200-400 litres of water. Textile effluent is contains inorganic as well as dissolved organic substances. Dark colour of waste water is due to the presence of residual dyestuffs. The photocatalytic decolorization of textile dye Methylene blue was examined by using photochemical reactor with WO3 and SnO2 photo catalyst in presence of U.V. light. The study of the effects of various environmental parameters such as type of catalyst, pH value and catalyst mass were also investigated by using spectrophotometer at different wavelengths.
- Rauf M.A. (2009)., Fundamental principles and application of heterogeneous photocatalytic degradation of dyes in solution., Chemical Engineering Journal, 151(1-3), 1-18.
- Oviedo A. M., Ray W. and Lee P. N. (2019)., Efficient photo-oxidation of NOx by Sn doped blue TiO2 nanoparticles., Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, 370(1), 18-25.
- Ameta R. and Ameta S.C. (2016). Photocatalysis: Principles and Applications, CRC Press Published, Boca Raton, Florida., undefined, undefined
- Calvert J.G. and Pitts J.N. (1996)., Photochemistry., Wiley & Sons: New York, US.
- Tesfay W., Gebres L., Manjunatha P. and Rani M. (2015)., Review on the Photocatalytic Degradation of Dyes and Antibacterial Activities of Pure and Doped-ZnO., International Journal of Science and Research, 4(5), 2252-2264.
- Meena K.S. and Dadheech A. (2019)., Photocatalytic Degradation of textile dyes Methylene blue and Reactive red 152 by ZnO., Poll Res., 38(1), 221-225.
- Shanthi S, Manjula R. and Vinulakshmi M. (2014)., Studies on the photodegradation of Malachite green dye by the synthesized ZnO nano particles with different sources of energy., , IJRPC, 4(3), 571-576.
- Wardell J.L. (1995)., Encyclopedia of Inorganic Chemistry ed. R. Bruce King., John Wiley & Son Ltd.
- Tungsten trioxide (2006)., The Merck Index., 14.
- Pamecha K., Mehta V. and Kabra B.V. (2016)., Photocatalytic degradation of commercial textile azo dye Reactive Blue 160 by heterogeneous photocatalysis., Advances in Applied Science Research, 7(3), 95-101.
- Raliya R., Avery C. and Chakrabarti S. (2017)., Photocatalytic degradation of Methyl orange dye by pristine titanium dioxide, zinc oxide and grapheme oxide nanostructures and their composites under visible light irradiation., Springer, Applied nanoscience, 7(5), 253-259.
- Chen X., Zhansheng W. and Dandan L. (2017)., Preparation of ZnO photocatalyst for the efficient and rapid photocatalytic degradation of azo dyes. Nanoscale research letters, 143(12)., undefined
- Calvert Yang Y., Wyatt D.T. II. and Bahorshky M. (1998)., Decolorization of Dyes Using UV/H2O2 Photochemical Oxidation., Textile Chemist and Colorist., 30, 27-35.
- Shabudeen P.S.S. (2011)., Study of the removal of malachite green from aqueous solution by using solid agricultural waste., Res. J. Chem. Sci., 1(1), 88-104.
- Babu R., Parande A. K., Raghu S. and Kumar T. (2007)., Cotton Textile Processing: Waste Generation and Effluent Treatment., The Journal of Cotton Science 11, 141-153.
- Pichat P. (2013)., Photocatalysis and Water Purification: From Fundamentals to Recent Applications., Wiley online Library.
- Babu R., Parande A. K., Raghu S. and Kumar T. (2007)., Cotton Textile Processing: Waste Generation and Effluent Treatment., The Journal of Cotton Science, 11, 141-153
- Ince N.H. and Gonenc D.T. (1997)., Treatability of a Textile Azo Dye by UV/H2O2., Environ. Technol., 18, 179-185.
- Vandevivere P.C., Bianchi R. and Verstraete W. (1998)., Treatment and reuse of wastewater from the textile wet processing industry: review of emerging technologies., J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol., 72, 289-302.
- Kuo W.G. (1992)., Decolorizing dye wastewater with Fenton, Water Research., 26 (7), 881-886.